Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AVG antivirus removal

• Please log in to reply

JohnGo

JohnGo

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
I am having trouble completely removing AVG free from my old Gateway 600YGR laptop WIN XP Home Sp3. My first attempt was with add/remove programs. The name AVG 2014 remains in add/remove programs 2 times but there is no option to further delete these when clicked on. That left some files which continued to show up in C:Program Files/AVG/AVG2014. They wouldn't budge with UNLOCKER. Nor can I find anything AVG in ...Windows/CurrentVersion/Uninstall.

I downloaded a trial uninstaller (forgot the name)and was able to remove all AVG files in C: Program files and that is good. However I did a search for "avg" and found 9 more avg(drivers??)in C:Windows/System32/drivers (file example--avgidshx.sys).

My questions are can I safely delete the 9 avg files from C:Windows/System32/drivers, also, how can I remove the 2 "AVG 2014" names from add/remove programs? Thanks in advance.
John Go.

Advertisements

Naathim

Naathim

GeekU Minion

• Expert
  • 4,568 posts
Hi.

Have you tried utilities from the official AVG site?
http://www.avg.com/ww-en/utilities

They should completely remove it. Doublecheck the version that's installed on your machine and please try once again.

If it won't let go, we will try something another.

Let me know :thumbsup:

Cheers,
Naat :)

Edited by Naathim, 06 November 2013 - 05:33 PM.

JohnGo

JohnGo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
That removed all the AVG files I referenced in my first post. The only thing remaining is in C:Windows/prefetch; AVG_REMOVER_STF_X86......pf and avg-B15E4d-B507......pf. Should I attempt to delete these?

When I ran the AVG Uninstaller it generated 2 log files.

Naathim

Naathim

GeekU Minion

• Expert
  • 4,568 posts
Yes, you may delete them and please do so.

After the deletion reboot your machine, visit that folder again and tell me if they are recreated.

JohnGo

JohnGo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
Yes they are still in the Prefetch folder after reboot. They don't seem to be causing a problem with the computer operation or speed.

Naathim

Naathim

GeekU Minion

• Expert
  • 4,568 posts
They shouldn't disturb you in any way.

How's the situation? Any other issues?

Cheers,
Naat

JohnGo

JohnGo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
I deleted the 2 files from the Prefetch folder, rebooted again and they are now gone. That takes care of me! Thanks very much for the good instructions.
JohnGo

Naathim

Naathim

GeekU Minion

• Expert
  • 4,568 posts
You're welcome :thumbsup:

Glad we could help :)