Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need to completely wipe computer

• Please log in to reply

Luigi_Green_85

Luigi_Green_85

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a number of older PCs that I am looking to wipe completely. We just upgraded to new machines and my boss said I could have the old equipment as long as I could complete wipe everything off of them.

I did some looking online and found a free program called DBAN (Darik's Boot and Nuke), but as I researched it a bit more I found the following: " It does not provide users with a proof of erasure, such as an audit-ready erasure report." I saw this repeated in multiple locations.

I assume that this report might be needed if a company has potentially sensitive data on a hard drive (this is most likely the case with these computers). Does anyone have any experience with wiping company hard drives and if so, is this report really necessary? If the report is recommended or necessary, could you please recommend a cleaning tool (preferable free/open source) that I can use to wipe the HDs and provide a report for the compny records.

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, but I am ultimately looking to build/upgrade these computers. I would like to keep them for personal use.

I appreciate any and all help you can provide.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
I think this might be what you want:

http://www.rmprepusb...-your-hard-disk

If you can use a bootable USB drive on the PCs then it creates an audit log. Appears to be free. Haven't tried it. Don't know if it can do SATA and SCSI drives.

Luigi_Green_85

Luigi_Green_85

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you for the suggestion. Just took a quick read through and it sounds promising. I will have to give it try.