Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lock ups in Win7

• Please log in to reply

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts
Got rid of the OpenOffice short cut.

Things seem much better presently. Haven't had a lock up since leaving SafeMode. Let me work for a couple of days and let you know the results. Thank you so much for all your help with this stubborn problem. I'll drop you an e-mail early next week and confirm the results.

Again... thank you!
Bry

Advertisements

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts
Hi Ron: Had a pretty good weekend with the computer. Only one lock-up in three days! Ok... that's not perfect but it is a lot better than a lock-up every hour!

Still having a problem with the MS Update, though. When I power off it appears to successfully complete the download before shuting down. But it repeats the process again the next time.

Ran the automatic MS FixIt again but it didn't help. Should I try the manual version?

Thanx, Ron...
Bry

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Yes, try the manual procedure.

Which update is it trying to do?

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts
Don't know which update... just says "Downloading 1 of 1"

That manual fix looks complicated. I can't print out the instructions; is it ok if I leave the page open as I do the repair? Do I skip step #4 as suggested for a first time fix?

Bry

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Perhaps this will work instead:

http://blog.laptopma...-windows-update

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts
Sorry for the delay... lost internet yesterday.

Downloaded and ran http://blog.laptopma...-windows-update and it has been trying to download HOTFIX KB947821 for the past hour. I finally cancelled but now the download window won't go away!!!

Oh! Man! This is getting old...

Bry

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Guess we are back to the manual part of http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058 You can try the easy one first if you want.

It might help to know what updates it was trying to install. If you go to Control Panel, Windows Updates and View Update History it should tell you which ones are failing. Sometimes you can go in to the list of updates and hide the ones that are causing problems.

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts
Last update was six days ago. Don't see Hotfix KB947821 listed.
Bry

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts
Hope you had an enjoyable Christmas!

I seem to be back to square one here... cursor moves around screen but does not work... cursor freezes up completely... I get the little circle spinning constantly telling me the computer is working on something but never completes the operation.

Still have the MS automatic upgrade stuck when I close down. Haven't tried the manual fix yet... need a little quiet time and a better internet connection.

Thanx...
Bry

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Does it work in Safe Mode?

Advertisements

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts
Yes... it seems to work ok in Safe Mode.

I may have got rid of the hanging MS automatic update. Got an indication from MS that four downloads were waiting to be loaded... new version of Explorer, which I don't use and a Bing toolbar with some updates for that. As you suggested, I hid all of them and that seems to have worked. We'll see how it goes over the next day or two.

Avast is still with me but the pop-ups are a pain. Any way to shut those down?

All best...
Bry

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
If you are talking about Avast:
They have also started using their info popup to try and get you to upgrade so I go into Settings, Appearance, Popups and change the first two to 1 second.

If it works in Safe mode can you use msconfig to determine what is causing the problem?

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts
Please give more details re msconfig. I thought we had already tried this.

Bry

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Probably have:

In the search box type:

msconfig

and hit Enter.

Then under Startup uncheck everything, under Services, check Hide Microsoft then uncheck all that remain. OK and reboot into regular mode. See if it works. If not try booting into the Safe Mode menu and try the low resolution graphics option to see if it is a video driver problem.

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts
Naw... sorry I'm all done here. Let me know if you have any hints about returning the computer back to original settings. I'm going to try that. If that doesn't work I'm dropping this baby into 300 feet of salt water and say good riddens! The way it is now I can't get any work done! And I need to work!
Thanks...
Bry