Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

File History - Drive not recognised and funny business

• Please log in to reply

TeaForTwo

TeaForTwo

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
I'm having a few problems relating to file history.

I had a play with file history a week or so back using an external hard drive that was removed from a laptop and connected to my laptop using a SATA to USB cable.

When I was using File History I think (though I cant remember) that I had to force the computer to shut down, I was working on something else as well at the time, I can't remember the full details I'm afraid.

But I have returned to file history over the last few day's and I@m having trouble with it.

Somehow the drive that I originally used has changed it's letter(?)It's gone from being OS(G:) to OS(H:) with RECOVERY(G:) Embedded within it. I've formatted the drive (NTFS) but it's made no difference, here's an image :

Posted Image

So now when I go into File History I'm greeted with OS(G:) Unknown error :

Posted Image

I have brought another external hard drive to try and use that with file history, but it doesn't want to.

Here's the new drive in the file history select drive setting's

Posted Image

when I click this drive and select OK the following window comes up

Posted Image

No Matter what I click on I get the following error

Posted Image

So I'm stumped as to what I'm meant to do, does file history only work with 1 Hard Drive?

Any help much appreciated.

Advertisements

TeaForTwo

TeaForTwo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I can't edit my signature yet but here are my specs :

Operating system_Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center (9600)
CPU_Intel® Core™ i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.40GHz
Motherboard_Hewlett-Packard (1966)
RAM_12063mb
Hard Drive_931gb (HGST HTS541010A9E680)
Graphics card_Intel® HD Graphics 4600
Sound card_IDT High Definition Audio CODEC

TeaForTwo

TeaForTwo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
anyone??

I've removed the catalogue and config files from the file history config folder in app data, but I still can't get it to work with my drive.

Posted Image

nicechaibabe

nicechaibabe

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

I am also having this issue or one similar to it, and am currently working to resolve it..  Mine is also compounded by the fact that my computer wouldn't for a short time recognize my hard drive at all, causing me to have to uninstall its driver and reinstall it.  One of the things I stumbled across was someone stating that there was a weird issue libraries and that they could cause an error with file history.  http://www.digitalci...ta-file-historyThis webpage may help you!