Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue screen of death upon startup

• Please log in to reply

sebastiantho

sebastiantho

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Yesterday I built my own computer from scratch, I bought some new parts and used my old HDD and RAM.
These are my specs:
Windows 7
i7 4770k 3,5 GHZ
DDR3 Ram 1330 MHz 2gb and 4gb
EVGA GTX 660 2-way sli
Msi z87-g45 gaming motherboard
And a 2 year old HDD 1TB.
My old computer was a DELL

The problem:
When I launch the computer I get a blue screen of death, when I launch safe-mode I get to the .class lastly before it crashes. I have tried changing my RAM around, unplugging my Graphics cards one after another. I have tried unplugging everything but my screen then let it launch, nothing has worked. I have tried disabling Hyper-Threading on my CPU. I have tried a couple of different boot modes as well, nothing works.

I would prefer an option that doesn't include a CD since I don't actually have a CD-ROM Disk.

If you reckcon you know how to solve this issue please leave a comment down below with a detailed description as of how I fix this, thanks in advance.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It would help if you could supply the info from the BSOD.

Windows XP
You need to turn off Automatic Restart so when you do get a BSOD, you will be able to read what it says, record the information and post it here if you have problems in the future.

Right click on My Computer and click Properties
A window will pop up. Select the Advanced tab at the top.
Under Startup and Recovery Settings click the Settings button.
Uncheck box for Automatically Restart.

Windows Vista & 7

You need to turn off Automatic Restart so when you do get a BSOD, you will be able to read what it says, record the information and post it here if you have problems in the future.

Right click on My Computer and click Properties
A window will pop up. Select the Advanced system settings at the right menu.
Under Startup and Recovery Settings click the Settings button.
Uncheck box for Automatically Restart.

Unbootable PCs

Start your system and at the Second post screen tap on F8 to get to the Boot Menu
Scroll down to the line that says "Auto Start On Error" and highlight it.
Click Enter to disable it
The system should reboot and if not then do so.
When the BSOD shows it will stop so that you can reply with the full error message

sebastiantho

sebastiantho

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I got the code, it's 0x0000007B (OXFFFFF880009A98E8,0XFFFFFFFF00000034,0X00000000000000000(17 IN TOTAL I BELIEVE ), 0X000.. (16 IN TOTAL )

I have yet to successfully boot it.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

0x0000007B: INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE
Windows lost access to the system partition or boot volume during the startup process. Typical causes: Installing incorrect device drivers when installing or upgrading storage adapter hardware, or a virus.

Did you recently update any drivers, software or hardware before the issue started?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This also may be a virus issue and I may have you go to this forum HERE and start a new topic to have the system checked out. Depending on what your response is to my first post I will let you know then.

sebastiantho

sebastiantho

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Virus problem? I don't think you understand. I just build my computer, my recent computer although didn't have any issues at all. I have never sucessfully booted this, new computer, so how could it be an issue with viruses? My theory is that it's because my HDD still has everything on it, and needs to be cleared and then installing the OS.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
So what you are telling me is that the hd is from another system with that systems OS on it correct?
If so then the issue is the drivers are not compatible with the new system. Do you own a legal copy of the Win7?

sebastiantho

sebastiantho

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
@Jackwilliam2013 Heh, I don't think you quite understood, I couldn't even boot my pc, not in safe mode either. I was stuck at the BIOS.

I've already fixed it, thanks for your time to reply though.
I fixed it by converting a Windows 7 64 Bit version unto a DVD then using a USB CD-Rom to run it unto my PC and boot it, by then, reinstalling my OS, after that it all worked, cheers guys.

sebastiantho

sebastiantho

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
@rshaffer61 Yes, yes I did. :)

Edited by sebastiantho, 15 November 2013 - 04:57 AM.