Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Are these part compatible?

• Please log in to reply

coolguyace

coolguyace

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
Will these parts work ok together? All of these I am ordering from Amazon since I have prime.

ASRock 970 EXTREME3 AMD 970 & SB950 ATX DDR3 800 AMD - AM3+ Motherboard

AMD A6-5400K APU 3.6Ghz Processor AD540KOKHJBOX

(Instead of getting a normal hard drive, I want to get a solid state drive)
Kingston Digital 120GB SSDNow V300 SATA 3 2.5 (7mm height) with Adapter Solid State Drive 2.5-Inch SV300S37A/120G

Can this also burn CDs and DVDs?
Asus Black 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal Blu-Ray Drive (BC-12B1ST)

Will all of this fit into this case found on Amazon?:
GAMMA Classic Series ATX Mid Tower Interior Steel Chassis (Black)

I primarily need to know about the mother board and processor. That's all I really care about. And I already have a DDR3 8 GB ram chip.

Edited by coolguyace, 08 November 2013 - 07:08 PM.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday coolguyace.
Unforunatly the MB and CPU are not compatible.
MB is Socket AM3+ > http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813157280 (note, does not have any video output sockets)
CPU is FM2 > http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819113282

Looks like you intend to use the CPU onboard graphics, AMD Radeon HD 7540D
The AMD Socket FM2+ is latest, backward compatible with the FM2 CPUs. The FM2+ based motherboards will be the only uupgrade path for new processors for some time to come.
> http://mygaming.co.z...r-families.html
Please consider this similar priced MB from Asrock which will take your chosen CPU. (your original MB is on the right for comparison)
> http://www.newegg.co...157-463:$$$$$$$

Can this also burn CDs and DVDs?
Asus Black 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal Blu-Ray Drive (BC-12B1ST)

Yes.

Will all of this fit into this case found on Amazon?:
GAMMA Classic Series ATX Mid Tower Interior Steel Chassis (Black)

Yes. Depending on what the computer is being used for, does not have front USB 3.0. Only one pre installed rear fan.
\When you have decided on the MB, please let us know the brand/model of the RAM, so that we can tell you if it is uuitable for the build.
What PSU will you be using?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
How is your build list going? If you gave us a budget, we could give you some builds to look at.

coolguyace

coolguyace

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Thank you so much for your help. This is what I ended up getting (paste from other forum):

AMD FD6300WMHKBOX FX-6300 6-Core Processor Black Edition

ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

ASUS HD7750-1GD5-V2 AMD Radeon HD 7750 VGA 1 GB GDDR5 Graphics Card

8G RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1 X 8GB) DDR3 PC3-12800 1600MHz BLS8G3D1609DS1S00

Kingston Digital 120GB SSDNow V300 SATA 3 2.5 (7mm height) with Adapter Solid State Drive 2.5-Inch SV300S37A/120G

NZXT M59 Classic Series ATX Mid Tower interior chassis M59-001BK (Black)
for only $40 with Prime new on Amazon. Now they raised the price again.

Windows 7 obviously, even vs Windows 8.1 I'll take it.

I just ordered this headset: Plantronics .Audio 628 Stereo USB Headset (.Audio 628)

URL for headset: http://www.amazon.co...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The only problem I had is the WI FI card, which I should have looked into more because I probably could have done better. I think the case just blocks the signal and I'm getting an extended antennae.

I got this garage sale keyboard that works fine as long as it's not wireless so it doesn't cut out ($2)

Black Friday deal last year at Office Depot on the Logitech Wireless Mouse M310 (Silver) $10

Hyundai monitor at a garage sale for $30 bran new. Wild guess at the size, less than 32 inches. Maybe 28 I don't know.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
Thanks for the update, much appreciated as it helps other who may read the post.
You did good for the parts. How is it performing?

coolguyace

coolguyace

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
There's no big issues with it at all. Messing with the audio is kind of weird. I guess that's just how the mother board is setup. I can't simply access the Windows sound panel through the operating system. I have to go through this window that Asus has me do. It pops up when I plug in an audio cable and it asks me to configure it. I have not got around to doing that quite yet, so I let it pop up.

I play Battlefield 3 and War Thunder on it quite a bit on higher graphic quality settings and it runs great. I might end up getting Battlefield 4. I also bought a new mouse since I don't have a wired one. Losing wireless connection drives me crazy.

$16.50 Gaming Mouse: E-3lue Mazer Type-R 2500DPI USB Wired Optical Game Gaming Mouse Black-Gray EMS140 Excellent quality, short cord, but low cost. Only 2 extra left side buttons.

I bought this Wireless card that I am not too pleased with. Every other device I have in the room can pick up the wireless router except for my antennae on this one. Right now, I have my computer setting backwards so the tower isn't blocking the signal, but I don't think it should be that way. The wireless network connection still only shows 3-4 bars.

Wireless Card: Rosewill 2.4GHz Wireless Lite-N PCI-E Adapter RNX-N150PCe

I really don't think I will be upgrading anything for a long time. :thumbsup:

This is my first computer that I actually built and I don't really know much about graphic cards. But the combination of this processor and solid state makes everything happen quickly. To actually restart the computer takes only a few seconds to be ready again.

Edited by coolguyace, 28 November 2013 - 09:37 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
Thanks for the feedback, does help others who read the Topic. Clad you are pleased with the performance of the build.

Audio. I think you will need to set one device as the Default.
Wireless Card. It is worth writing a review/feedback with your issues on the site you bought it from and you should get a response from Rosewill, e.g. > http://www.newegg.co...N82E16833166011 or a complaint directly to Rosewill.

Thanks again for the reply and good luck.