Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Upgraded from core 2 duo to core 2 quad issues

• Please log in to reply

Djshadowfax

Djshadowfax

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi i have upgraded from an Intel Core 2 duo E8400 @3Ghz to a core 2quad Q9550 @2.85ghz on a GA-N650SLI-DS4L motherboard.
I'm having a plethora of problems.

Many bsod with different errors. Like memory management, nvlp.dll and nvlmddmkm.sys to name a few
On all programs I open will error and close including firefox and chrome.

I'm running in circles please help me.

(im back to old cpu now and no problems)
so its definitely the cpu but it is meant to be compatible http://www.gigabyte....p.aspx?pid=2679

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG-20131108-WA0027.jpg
  • IMG-20131108-WA0029.jpg
  • IMG-20131108-WA0031.jpg

Edited by Djshadowfax, 09 November 2013 - 01:09 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,024 posts
:welcome: Djshadowfax

Have you checked for updated chipset drivers for the MB, if not I would put the quad CPU back in and see if you can first of all run the CPU diagnostic tool and thenDriverMax to check for both chipset and/or SMBus drivers for the MB, please note that you are only allowed to download two drivers a day for free and be sure to uncheck the "install AVG toolbar" option.

Can I ask what OS it is that you are using including whether it is 32 or 64-bit, again if you are able to you should check for Windows updates when you have the quad core fitted.

Good luck and let us know how you get on with it.

Djshadowfax

Djshadowfax

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I've made a huge error it seems the cpu is not supported

http://www.cpu-upgra...(rev._1.0).html

http://www.gigabyte....p.aspx?pid=2679

My mobo only goes to firmware version F3 from 2008, im on F2 from 2007

I'm running Windows 7 64bit sp1

so it's pointless continuing is it?

Thanks for your advice.

Edited by Djshadowfax, 09 November 2013 - 04:08 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,024 posts
BIOS versions F1 and F3 are both available to download at your MBs link, please note that if you do upgrade the BIOS that you follow the steps to the letter as a bad upgrade can render the MB useless and require a BIOS chip replacement, please seeHere