Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Best Antivirus & Internet Security Program

• Please log in to reply

msujedi

msujedi

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
What is the best program, purchased or free, to protect a Windows 7 laptop? I use a paid subscription of Norton for my desktop, and run additional scans using free versions of SUPERantispyware & Malwarebytes. Any knowledgeable suggestions for me?

Advertisements

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Hi, musjedi,

I moved your topic to the Applications forum, as the Malware forum is only for help with malware removal. There is a pinned topic right here that can help you with your questions. :)

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
I am a big fan of the free version of Avast. Their boot-time scan can remove stuff that no one else can. (Uncheck the Chrome and Google toolbar options)

I would stay away from Microsoft Security Essentials. It seems to be getting weaker. MS is not using it on Windows 8 so I expect they aren't really trying as hard. Avira is OK but they now push Ask toolbars and other adware. AVG is also not as good as it used to be.

If I were going to pay for an anti-virus then it would be either BitDefender or Kaspersky. Norton is known as a CPU hog so it would not be at the top of my list. Plus it is hard to remove. You really need to run their removal tool after uninstalling it. ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/removal_tools/Norton_Removal_Tool.exe

Ron

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I like Rkinner am a fan of Avast. I have been using it for years now and like the way it updates usually twice a day with new virus definitions. Since installing it I have not had any problems at all.

msujedi

msujedi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Thanks for the AVAST recommendation. I'll also be sure to use the removal tool after uninstalling Norton.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
If you uninstall Norton, make sure they turn off the automatic renewal. You don't want any surprise charges on your credit card.

Stick with Avast for a while and see how you like it. Some people object to the voice notification of updates. To turn it off, click on the Avast ball then on Settings then on Appearance. Then on Sounds and uncheck Automatic Updates OK. (It will still update it just won't tell you about in a loud voice in the middle of the night.)

They have also started using their info popup to try and get you to upgrade so I go into Settings, Appearance, Popups and change the first two to 1 second.

If you haven't registered already then right click on the orange ball and select Registration Information and click on the link. (They just want you name and email address). The registration is good for 12-14 months then you will need to register again. They will, of course, try to talk you into buying the product but you can always register again for another year free tho it may not be the default.

To run the boot-time scan:

Click on the Orange ball. Click on Scans. Change Quickscan to Boot-time Scan. Click on Settings. Where it says Heuristic Sensitivity click on the last rectangle so that all of them are orange and it says High. Check both boxes. Then change When a threat is found ... to: Move to Chest. OK. Now click on Start. Close the Avast window and then reboot. The scan will start. When Windows loads Click on the Orange Ball then Scan, Then Scan History (at the bottom of the page). Click on the last scan and then Detailed Report.

hairyeyes

hairyeyes

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Free version of Avast is good like Ron says. I like to have the full version of Malwarebytes alongside it, they make a good duo like Batman and Robin. Good thing about Malwarebytes is you only pay once so no subscription.
Then there are other tools you can use like MVP Hosts file, Winpatrol, Malwarebytes anti exploit, spyware blaster, Adblock pluss which also blocks some malware domains and firewalls there are a few good ones to choose from like Online armor and Comodo, but if you choose Comodo it will install lots of unwanted programs which can be uninstalled, I prefer Comodo as it's a full version firewall not like some other free firewalls that have limits unless you spend out for the paid version.