Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hijack this:removing search extender please [CLOSED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

vita

vita

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello:
;) sorry if i am posting in the wrong place. i don't even know what my problems is calle.
I am naive when it comes to the computer....but I am having this problem with removing "search extender" from my computer and now i am getting silly pop ups and my default internet page is not what i set it to.
I have seen people doing hijak this and i am assuming this is what you need to help me. please help. i am teary eyed. :tazz:
i can't do my school work with all of this interruption.
if you are giving me instructions please keep it simple so i can follow instruction...in point form is best. ;)
I will be eternally grateful if you can help me.
Thank you.

Edited by vita, 14 June 2005 - 07:12 AM.

Advertisements

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Welcome to GTG.

You posted in the correct place :tazz:

Did you read the sticky topic yet? If not, do so now:
Please read the first link in my signature and follow the steps outlined there. Then do the following fixes since you gave me your log already:

Before you do anything else, please create a folder for HijackThis and put it in a permanent folder (like C:\HJT) instead of the Temp folder. This is required because HijackThis will create backups and we don't want them to be deleted.

Please print out or copy this page to Notepad. Make sure to work through the fixes in the exact order it is mentioned below. If there's anything that you don't understand, ask your question(s) before proceeding with the fixes. You should 'not' have any open browsers when you are following the procedures below.

Go to My Computer->Tools/View->Folder Options->View tab and make sure that 'Show hidden files and folders' (or 'Show all files') is enabled. Also make sure that 'Display the contents of system folders' is checked. If you have Windows XP, the search feature is a little different. When you click on 'All files and folders' on the left pane, click on the 'More advanced options' at the bottom. Make sure that 'Search system folders', 'Search hidden files and folders', and 'Search subfolders' are checked.

For the options that you checked/enabled earlier, you may uncheck them after your log is clean. If we ask you to fix a program that you use or want to keep, please post back saying that (we don't know every program that exists, so we may tell you to delete a program that we think is bad to keep).

Download CWShredder at http://www.greyknigh...hredder.sfx.exe and run it. Uncompress the file and run it. Click on 'I Agree' button if you agree with it. Click on 'Fix' (it will automatically fix anything it finds for you) and OK. If it asks if you want to delete a certain random file, choose No and post that filename here. Let it finish the scan and then hit Next and Exit.

Download AboutBuster http://www.greyknigh...tBuster.sfx.exe and uncompress the files to a folder on your the Desktop. Run AboutBuster and click OK. Click Update button to see if there are any updates. Close the program now.

Restart your computer and boot into Safe Mode by hitting the F8 key repeatedly until a menu shows up (and choose Safe Mode from the list). In some systems, this may be the F5 key, so try that if F8 doesn't work. Make sure to close any open browsers.

Go to Start->Run and type in services.msc and hit OK. Then look for Network Security Service (NSS) ( 11Fßä#·ºÄÖ`I) and double click on it. Click on the Stop button and under Startup type, choose Disabled.

Run a scan in HijackThis. Check each of the following and hit 'Fix checked' (after checking them) if they still exist (make sure not to miss any):

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = res://C:\WINDOWS\alyye.dll/sp.html#40078
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = res://C:\WINDOWS\alyye.dll/sp.html#40078
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = about:blank
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = res://C:\WINDOWS\alyye.dll/sp.html#40078
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = res://C:\WINDOWS\alyye.dll/sp.html#40078
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = res://C:\WINDOWS\alyye.dll/sp.html#40078
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = res://C:\WINDOWS\alyye.dll/sp.html#40078
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = res://C:\WINDOWS\alyye.dll/sp.html#40078
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = http://red.clientapp...//www.yahoo.com
R3 - Default URLSearchHook is missing
O2 - BHO: Class - {C6D6D264-D1BF-2B26-E95A-909FFD54938F} - C:\WINDOWS\sdkhl.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [atljv32.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\atljv32.exe
O9 - Extra button: Related - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O16 - DPF: {22A88341-AFCB-45F0-A856-C2BAE74F878E} (InstallX Class) - http://www.75tz.com/codac/inst2_ax.cab
O23 - Service: Network Security Service (NSS) ( 11Fßä#·ºÄÖ`I) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\mfcte32.exe

Run AboutBuster and click Begin Removal button. Once that's done, just hit the OK button. Click Exit once you are done. Click the OK button and it should exit. Open up the 'Ab LogFile.txt' (which was created in the same folder as AboutBuster) and post the log here.

Delete the following Files/Folders (delete folders if no filename is specified) according to their directory (if none, just do a search for them) and delete them if they exist:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\atljv32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\mfcte32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\sdkhl.dll

Restart and run a new HijackThis scan. Save the log file and post it here.

vita

vita

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
hello grey:thank you so much for responding.
I did as you indicated ...twice.... ;)
i'll show you my results below of the new hijack and ablogfile.txt
I just saw a pop up again. :tazz:
what did i go wrong?
vita

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 6:44:52 PM, on 6/8/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Edited by vita, 14 June 2005 - 07:13 AM.

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Hi there, don't fret. Sometimes this requires more than one try to remove :tazz:

Please print out or copy this page to Notepad. Make sure to work through the fixes in the exact order it is mentioned below. If there's anything that you don't understand, ask your question(s) before proceeding with the fixes. You should 'not' have any open browsers when you are following the procedures below.

Download FixAgent http://www.greyknigh...py/FixAgent.zip and unzip it. Run FixAgent.exe. It should fix something. If nothing is fixed, skip to the next step for the HijackThis fixes. If something is found, also download home_missing_114 http://www.greyknigh...missing_114.zip and unzip it. Run the Home winkey missing batch file. Remember: ONLY run home_missing_114 if FixAgent found something.

Download and unzip cwsserviceremove to your desktop. use either link below:
http://computercops....ownload&id=3002[/url
http://www.mytechsup...rviceremove.zip

The Temp folders should be cleaned out periodically as installation programs and hijack programs leave a lot of junk there. Download CleanUp! http://cleanup.stevengould.org/ (Alternate Link if main link don't work - [url="http://www.greyknight17.com/spy/CleanUp.exe"]http://www.greyknight17.com/spy/CleanUp.exe ) and install it. Don't run it yet.

Restart your computer and boot into Safe Mode by hitting the F8 key repeatedly until a menu shows up (and choose Safe Mode from the list). In some systems, this may be the F5 key, so try that if F8 doesn't work. Make sure to close any open browsers.

Go to Start->Run and type in services.msc and hit OK. Then look for Network Security Service (NSS) ( 11Fßä#·ºÄÖ`I) and double click on it. Click on the Stop button and under Startup type, choose Disabled.

Run a scan in HijackThis. Check each of the following and hit 'Fix checked' (after checking them) if they still exist (make sure not to miss any):

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = res://C:\WINDOWS\icepy.dll/sp.html#40078
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = res://C:\WINDOWS\icepy.dll/sp.html#40078
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = about:blank
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = res://C:\WINDOWS\icepy.dll/sp.html#40078
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = res://C:\WINDOWS\icepy.dll/sp.html#40078
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = res://C:\WINDOWS\icepy.dll/sp.html#40078
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = res://C:\WINDOWS\icepy.dll/sp.html#40078
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = res://C:\WINDOWS\icepy.dll/sp.html#40078
O2 - BHO: Class - {47AA49FE-6602-0901-F8F3-72B36FCAD9BA} - C:\WINDOWS\apibo.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [apibo.exe] C:\WINDOWS\apibo.exe
O23 - Service: Network Security Service (NSS) ( 11Fßä#·ºÄÖ`I) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\mfcte32.exe

Run AboutBuster and click Begin Removal button. Once that's done, just hit the OK button. Click Exit once you are done. Click the OK button and it should exit. Open up the 'Ab LogFile.txt' (which was created in the same folder as AboutBuster) and post the log here.

Delete the following Files/Folders (delete folders if no filename is specified) according to their directory (if none, just do a search for them) and delete them if they exist:

C:\WINDOWS\apibo.exe
C:\WINDOWS\apibo.dll

Double click on the cwsserviceremove and when asked to merge say yes.

Run CleanUp! and click on CleanUp! button. Once it's done, you may click the Close button. When asked if you want to logoff, choose Yes.

vita

vita

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
one thing grey...it won't allow me to delete C\WINDOWS\mfcte32.exe.....
it says it is protected.
vita

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Try this (if necessary, you may boot into Normal Mode since you may not be able to go online in Safe Mode):

Download KillBox http://www.greyknigh...spy/KillBox.exe. Run KillBox and check the box that says 'End Explorer Shell While Killing File'. Next click on 'Delete on Reboot'. For each of the following files below, check the box that says 'Unregister .dll Before Deleting' if it's not grayed out. Copy and paste each of the following into KillBox (hitting the X button for each file - choose NO when it asks if you want to reboot):

Once that's done, restart and post a new log.

vita

vita

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
:tazz: hello dr. grey...
The heavens are conspiring against me.. ;) .i did it all again. Here are the results.
It is still there...hope i am making progress.
can we do anything now please?
vita

AboutBuster 5.0 reference file 28
Scan started on [6/8/2005] at [6:20:34 PM]
------------------------------------------------

Edited by vita, 14 June 2005 - 07:14 AM.

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Let's try this one more time. If it still fails I might have to call in the cavalry :tazz:

Download KillBox http://www.greyknigh...spy/KillBox.exe. Don't run it yet.

Run CWShredder now.

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\lkcco.dll/sp.html#37049
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\lkcco.dll/sp.html#37049
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\lkcco.dll/sp.html#37049
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\lkcco.dll/sp.html#37049
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\lkcco.dll/sp.html#37049
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\lkcco.dll/sp.html#37049
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\lkcco.dll/sp.html#37049
O2 - BHO: Class - {E064B1BE-9CE1-12FD-649D-C3AF86045971} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntjw.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [netnr.exe] C:\WINDOWS\netnr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [apibo.exe] C:\WINDOWS\apibo.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [d3pu.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\d3pu.exe
O23 - Service: Network Security Service (NSS) ( 11Fßä#·ºÄÖ`I) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\mfcte32.exe (file missing)

Run KillBox and check the box that says 'End Explorer Shell While Killing File'. Next click on 'Delete on Reboot'. For each of the following files below, check the box that says 'Unregister .dll Before Deleting' if it's not grayed out. Copy the below files and go back to KillBox. Go to File->Paste from Clipboard and then hit the button with red circle with a white X. Confirm to delete and when asked if you want to reboot now, say no:

C:\WINDOWS\netnr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\d3pu.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntjw.dll
C:\WINDOWS\apibo.exe

Run the cwsserviceremove file again. Yes to merge.

Run CleanUp now.

vita

vita

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Good Morning Grey....
I had dreams about the issue last night. ;)
Thank you for your patience. I REALLY appreciate it. ;)
maybe i am just not doing it right??

I am trying to follow instructions as best as i can....there are a few things that you should know maybe it will help...

1) I did a bad thing... :tazz: for someof those files that were listed under the hijack list that were checked off to fix , i clicked "add to ignore list" in hijak this and how they are there.

2)I don't see the NNS file. It was there yesterday.

3) when you say run the cwserviceremove file again you mean CSshredder right?
IF so, I don not get an option to merge

4) some internet pages i have are not working...e.g i cannot get on to msn email and msn messenger
and yesterday to my horror under control panel i saw this bugger program with the yahoo messenger icon sitting in control panel's add/delete program.

Edited by vita, 14 June 2005 - 07:16 AM.

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
That cwsserviceremove was the file I asked you to download earlier. It's a .reg file and not CWShredder. They are all different tools that we use to remove this infection.

The R1 entries may change but just check and fix whatever the new names are.

You should not add anything to the Ignorelist unless you know what you are doing there. We don't recommend adding anything to that list. Go back to HijackThis->Config button->Ignorelist tab and hit the Delete All button.

OK, I will give you a full instructions then (just in case you can't find those other files I asked you to download earlier):

Download KillBox http://www.greyknigh...spy/KillBox.exe. Don't run it yet

Download CWShredder at http://www.greyknigh...hredder.sfx.exe and run it. Uncompress the file and run it. Click on 'I Agree' button if you agree with it. Click on 'Fix' (it will automatically fix anything it finds for you) and OK. If it asks if you want to delete a certain random file, choose No and post that filename here. Let it finish the scan and then hit Next and Exit.

Download and unzip cwsserviceremove to your desktop. use link below:
http://computercops....ownload&id=3002

Download AboutBuster http://www.greyknigh...tBuster.sfx.exe and uncompress the files to a folder on your the Desktop. Run AboutBuster and click OK. Click Update button to see if there are any updates. Close the program now.

The Temp folders should be cleaned out periodically as installation programs and hijack programs leave a lot of junk there. Download CleanUp! http://cleanup.stevengould.org/ (Alternate Link if main link don't work - http://www.greyknigh...spy/CleanUp.exe ) and install it. Don't run it yet.

Go to Start->Run and type in services.msc and hit OK. Then look for Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Helper ( 11Fßä#·ºÄÖ`I) and double click on it. Click on the Stop button and under Startup type, choose Disabled.

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = res://C:\WINDOWS\tbdou.dll/sp.html#37049
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = res://C:\WINDOWS\tbdou.dll/sp.html#37049
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = res://C:\WINDOWS\tbdou.dll/sp.html#37049
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = res://C:\WINDOWS\tbdou.dll/sp.html#37049
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = res://C:\WINDOWS\tbdou.dll/sp.html#37049
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = res://C:\WINDOWS\tbdou.dll/sp.html#37049
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = res://C:\WINDOWS\tbdou.dll/sp.html#37049
O2 - BHO: Class - {6BCB6F84-2569-09FD-3A31-9F741A38A421} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\sysrb.dll
O2 - BHO: Class - {8F69ADF9-A5DE-30DA-0B84-99655E5A16A4} - C:\WINDOWS\netwt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [sdkok.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\sdkok.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [sdkfp32.exe] C:\WINDOWS\sdkfp32.exe
O23 - Service: Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Helper ( 11Fßä#·ºÄÖ`I) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\d3pu.exe (file missing)

Run KillBox and check the box that says 'End Explorer Shell While Killing File'. Next click on 'Delete on Reboot'. For each of the following files below, check the box that says 'Unregister .dll Before Deleting' if it's not grayed out. Copy and paste each of the following into KillBox (hitting the X button for each file - choose NO when it asks if you want to reboot):

C:\WINDOWS\sdkfp32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\sdkok.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\sysrb.dll
C:\WINDOWS\netwt.dll

Double click on cwsserviceremove.reg and say yes to merge it to the registry.

Run CleanUp! and click on CleanUp! button. Once it's done, you may click the Close button. When asked if you want to logoff, choose Yes.

I wish I could, but usually I don't do phone support (for obvious reasons). If you want, maybe we can do this using instant message? Do you have AIM, Yahoo, or MSN instant message accounts? We can chat there.

vita

vita

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
:tazz:
Hello Grey..you are a superstar!!!!!....!.....it appears it is gone!!!!! :tazz: you are my hero!!
thank you so much for your patience.

I think though that in my sweet impatience and ignorance I deleted some "good files" in hijack this. ;)

I cannot log on to msn messenger (error 80072efd) and hotmail is saying "this page cannot be displayed"i also cannot log on to yahoo messenger .
my msn messenger email is edited out... but as I said...i can't log on.

and at my job i have outlook web access...i can't get that either. ;)

i am betting there are other things that i cannot do now. can you help?
thank you once again.
vitamy updated info is below.

Edited by vita, 14 June 2005 - 07:15 AM.

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Finally, we got rid of them :tazz:

I don't know what went wrong earlier because they kept coming back, but this seems to have done it. ;)

For the MSN problem, take a look at this site. Please don't post your email address here (for obvious reasons - spammers). I will edit it out for you.

Is it just Hotmail site that shows this? It could be that it's having server problems.

If the problem still occurs, try asking this in the Applications or Windows forums.

Your log is clean.

Turn off system restore by right clicking on My Computer and go to Properties->System Restore and check the box for Turn off System Restore. Click Apply and then OK. Restart your computer and uncheck the same box to enable System Restore.

Make sure to get the latest updates for Windows and Internet Explorer at http://v5.windowsupd...t.aspx?ln=en-us.

To help prevent future spyware installations/infections, please read the Anti-Spyware Tutorial and use the tools provided.

Are there any problems now? If not, you should be set to go.

vita

vita

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hey Grey:

I think it may have to do something with my LAN/Firewall setting. that is what yahoo messenger is asking me to adjust anyway.

It is a few website that i cannot access
1)cannot get into yahoo and msn messenger (can get to yahoo mail but not hotmail)
2) cannot do online banking
3) cannot get onto my job's microsoft outlook access

I did get delete happy with the R1s in hijack this. :tazz:
I bow my head in shame.

i tried to do what you told me....download the latest updates for windows /internet expolore....but it says that i cannot complete it because of an error.

any suggestions grey?
vita

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
All those R1's should be ok to delete. I don't even see any that are valid or that should cause problems if deleted.

So basically you can't access any secure sites? Try taking a look at this site and try the suggestions there.

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with address of this thread. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.