here is my recent problem: When I put an audio CD in my CD/DVD drive, and double click the drive icon, I get the following message:
"Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."
- If I right click on the drive icon, then select "Open" in the menu, it works (shows the content of the CD).
- I can play the songs of the CD normally with VLC Media Player, Winamp etc.
- It also works with data CDs (CD-ROMs).
- In msconfig, when I disable the Shell Hardware Detection (ShellHWDetection) service from starting at boot, it works.
But if I enable it (to start at boot), then it doesn't work. So I would say that this is the faulty service. But what to do ?
- I've been using CDBurnerXP and Exact Audio Copy lately.
- CD/DVD drive name: "Slimtype DVD A DS8A5SH".
- I'm logged in as administrator.
What didn't work so far:
- Uninstalling and reinstalling the CD/DVD drive.
- There are no driver updates available for the drive.
- Disabling the antivirus (Avira Antivir).
- Trying with another administrator account.
- Full scan for viruses and malwares with Avira Antivir, MalwareBytes AntiMalware, SUPERAntispyware, AdwCleaner.
- Disk check (chckdsk).
- System file checker (sfc \scannow).
- Enabling AutoPlay for all media and devices (AutoPlay works but the problem is still there).
- Trying another audio CD.
Any idea ?
Edited by adri123, 09 November 2013 - 06:40 PM.