Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

audio CD: "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or fil

• Please log in to reply

adri123

adri123

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hello all,

here is my recent problem: When I put an audio CD in my CD/DVD drive, and double click the drive icon, I get the following message:

"Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

What works:

• If I right click on the drive icon, then select "Open" in the menu, it works (shows the content of the CD).
  • I can play the songs of the CD normally with VLC Media Player, Winamp etc.
  • It also works with data CDs (CD-ROMs).
  • In msconfig, when I disable the Shell Hardware Detection (ShellHWDetection) service from starting at boot, it works.
    But if I enable it (to start at boot), then it doesn't work. So I would say that this is the faulty service. But what to do ?

Other info:

• I've been using CDBurnerXP and Exact Audio Copy lately.
  • CD/DVD drive name: "Slimtype DVD A DS8A5SH".
  • I'm logged in as administrator.

What didn't work so far:

• Uninstalling and reinstalling the CD/DVD drive.
  • There are no driver updates available for the drive.
  • Disabling the antivirus (Avira Antivir).
  • Trying with another administrator account.
  • Full scan for viruses and malwares with Avira Antivir, MalwareBytes AntiMalware, SUPERAntispyware, AdwCleaner.
  • Disk check (chckdsk).
  • System file checker (sfc \scannow).
  • Enabling AutoPlay for all media and devices (AutoPlay works but the problem is still there).
  • Trying another audio CD.

Any idea ?

Adrien

Edited by adri123, 09 November 2013 - 06:40 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hello Adrien

You have done most of the checks that would normally be suggested so well done for your own troubleshooting steps.

Go into the Control Panel > Hardware > Mouse > Buttons and then try increasing the time allowed between the mouse double clicks by adjusting the slider to allow for a longer time between clicks.

When you set up CDburnerXP did you tick the enable the "allow non-admin users" option.

adri123

adri123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hello phillpower2

I changed the speed of mouse clicking and it didn't help.
I also uninstalled CDBurnerXP completely and it also didn't help.
I then reinstalled it as Admin and checked if there were any option like "allow non-admin users" and the only option present was: install for all users or for current user only. So I selected "for all." But it also didn't help.

Since the problem exists even when CDBurnerXP is uninstalled, the cause should be something else.. or maybe it is a registry mistake or old setting?

Also here is an information that may help a lot. CDBurnerXP freezes when I open it while having a CD in the drive.

Scenario:
  • the CD is in the drive
  • I try to open CDBurnerXP
  • Nothing happens, no window appears, nothing.
  • I eject the CD
  • Immediately CDBurnerXP opens. (I had told it too, but it's like if it had been prevented)

My guess is that CDBurnerXP tries to do something similar to what I do when I double-click the CD, and that the problem appears to it too. So not just to me when I double-click the CD, but to anyone wanting to do that scenario. Human or software.
Like if the software also gets blocked by a "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

What is also useful to know is that, as I wrote in the first post, when I right click the drive and select "Open", it works and shows the content of the audio CD.
What doesn't work is when I select "Play", or when I double-click on it (which I suppose is the same thing as selecting "Play"). In these cases the permissions message appears.

Edited by adri123, 10 November 2013 - 07:15 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hello adri123

Can I ask if any errors were reported when you ran SFC and how many times was SFC run, it needs to be run 4 or 5 times sometimes before all errors are repaired.

Was it Chkdsk /r that you ran and if so were any errors reported.

As an asides try another free media burners such as ImgBurn which is available fromHere be sure to uncheck the install Entrusted toolbar option etc.

adri123

adri123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hello phillpower2,

I did (again now) SFC many times and it didn't find any error.

Also i performed Chkdsk with the /r switch cause I was doing it with the /f switch.

Yet no error was fond here either.

Thanks for ImgBurn advice. Yet I would like to repair the error cause there certainly is one. And is not due to CDBurnerXP since even when I uninstall it it, I get the permissions message anyway.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hello adri123

Not sure what else to try I`m afraid :(

See if Microsoft Fix it suggests anything, please seeHere

If no joy with MS Fix it I will ask for another pair of eyes take a look at your topic.

adri123

adri123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hello phillpower2,

Unfortunately i didn't find a solution on Microsoft Fix It. I ran three fix it executables that could have-maybe fixed it but they didn't.

I'm sure it's something very specific and stupid too. I mean simple. A value somewhere in the registry, a missing file, a wrong path..

Could you ask some other pairs of eyes to look into it?

Thank you for your help.

If anybody reading this has an idea it's very welcome!

Adrien

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hello Adrien

I will ask for one of our colleagues to take a look at your topic, can you meanwhile post a Speccy url for us please, detailsHere

Next please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop...pit/default.asp
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Thanks to rshaffer61 for the PCPitstop information :thumbsup:

NB: An example of the url that we require and the information that it leads to http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=25271813

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday folks.
Are you running more than one mouse program? If yes, uninstall the non Microsoft one, test, if still a problem, uninstall all mouse drivers, restart the computer and let windows install the driver.
to access shutdown menu without mouse, Press windows key followed by right arrow. Press enter for default. Press right arrow again to see other options.

Still having issues. Try running this fix program. > http://www.tweaking....all_in_one.html Even if you have performed the repair steps already, I advice following them in this program.
When you get to the repair screen, I would only tick the following boxes to begin with.
#1. #2 then the appropriate drive. #9. #17. #22. #25. You may not wish to do this last one, #26, will depend on if you have custom optimized which services run at startup.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
You know, I have the exact same problem on my home PC. I just eject and reinsert the disc and then it works again, but if the disc is already in the drive when I try and open it, I get the error.

Looking in on this thread with great interest... (I don't have time to fix my own computers :lol: )

Advertisements

adri123

adri123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi all,

that's great! to receive support! So here are my specs: specs

and i'll do the other things you guys have advised me. And let you know how it goes.

adri123

adri123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

You know, I have the exact same problem on my home PC. I just eject and reinsert the disc and then it works again, but if the disc is already in the drive when I try and open it, I get the error.

Looking in on this thread with great interest... (I don't have time to fix my own computers :lol: )

You mean for CDBurnerXP to work?

adri123

adri123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Thank you, here is the PitStop URL

adri123

adri123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

You mean for CDBurnerXP to work?

Indeed when CDBurnerXP cannot load when a CD is already in, ejecting and reinserting it, makes the software load. I confirm.
Though the problem is there, and the permissions error message too. (even when CDBurnerXP not installed).
I'm really curious to see what it is.

Edited by adri123, 14 November 2013 - 05:44 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hello adri123

Thanks for the urls which I will look over now.

Couple of things have been suggested for you to check, one courtesy of JSntgRvr and the information can be foundHere + RKinner has suggested that you check out your HDD as it is getting old and is showing the errors below, Ron did mention that it was not connected to your present issue but advised that you be informed + recommended that you clone your HDD asap, we can help you with this if you like.

01 Read Error Rate:
111 (099) Data 00027AE500

07 Seek Error Rate:
080 (060) Data 00069EDD2E

BC Command Timeout:
100 (099) Data 0000000011

C3 Hardware ECC Recovered:
111 (099) Data 00027AE500

Thanks to iammykyl and Troy respectively for the added assistance :thumbsup: