Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

upgrade to windows 7

• Please log in to reply

trucker

trucker

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
Hello I started to do an upgrade from XP to 7. I have checked before starting and it should go fine, on the 1 restart the PC hangs and will not reboot! Could I please get some help on this. I am able to restart windows XP.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts
Hello trucker

I have checked before starting and it should go fine,

How was this checked.

I am able to restart windows XP.

Does this mean that you have set up a dual boot.

Please provide information about your computer, this includes is it a notebook or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is a brand name provide the model name or series number (not serial) if a custom build post the brand and model name or number for the MB providing these details will enable us to better assist you.

trucker

trucker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
Yes I have Linux on this also. What I mean by I checked is that I went to the Microsoft website to be sure 7 is compatible. The site says I should be able to upgrade. this is a Gigabyte MB P35C-DS3r, Bios v6.00PG 3582MB Ram, Nvidia GeForce 86GT

Edited by trucker, 10 November 2013 - 03:49 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
If you can boot XP, please post a screen capture of a full screen Disk Management window.

To open Disk Management, press Windows key+r, type diskmgmt.msc and press Enter or click GO. Make it full screen.

Vista and Windows 7: How to Use the Snipping Tool in Vista - Vista Forums (says it's for Vista but also works with Win 7/8).

XP: CAPTURE - How to capture screen images (screen shots), Windows Made Easy

Use the Browse and Attach This File buttons below the text input area while using the Full editor to upload and insert here.

trucker

trucker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
ok

Attached Thumbnails

• Disk M.png

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
The 1.3TB disk 0 is marked as active. Are the two unknown partitions Linux?

Which partition are you trying to install Windows 7 to?
Are you booting the Windows 7 install DVD?
Where did you get the Windows 7 DVD? Download or purchase? If download, from where and what program did you use to burn the DVD?

trucker

trucker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
To the one marked C it has 233 used and 98 free. As far as where the disk came from I got it at Fry's DVD has 3 copies of 7 on it I've updated 1 PC and this will be the second one. Its been awhile but i think I had to boot from the DVD to upgrade. that part went ok it was only when the system rebooted that this hung up now even in my grub menu I show windows recovery to boot from at this point I get the option of trying to boot back into the install or bring up the windows XP. XP loads 7 hangs.

Edited by trucker, 19 November 2013 - 10:13 AM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Disconnect Disk 0 then try the install again.

trucker

trucker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
Thanks its up and working now, I hated leaving XP but I hope its for the best.

Attached Thumbnails

• dos-equis-guy.jpg