Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

just went to WIN 8.1 how do I make copy of it for emergencies?

• Please log in to reply

kelkay

kelkay

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
I just downloaded and installed WIN 8.1 It says we are allowed one copy. How do I make that copy? So if I have to completely restore my computer now, I can't use my restore disks from DELL? I'm not happy about that at all. If I don't like the 8.1, I am stuck. I was afraid if I clicked I don't accept, then my computer would be ruined, and who knows when I would be able to get back on the internet. I don't like the way they handled this update.

Part 2. When I got the update, I decided I'd better do a system restore point. Good thing I did. It was not set on doing it automatically. I had to configure it(enable), in order to set a system restore point. I don't know if PBR image should be enabled or not. I set the C drive to get 202 GB, so I'd have plenty of room for creating and storing system restore points.

Edited by kelkay, 10 November 2013 - 06:53 PM.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You can use your Dell restore discs to put you back to when you first bought the computer.

How did you do the upgrade? Where did you download from?

See here: How to Create a Recovery USB Flash Drive in Windows 8 and 8.1. Option 2 shows you how to create an ISO using the ESD-ISO tools after you did a store upgrade.

kelkay

kelkay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
It took me to the store. Everything was grayed out, except the blue box that said update to WIN 8.1...............if I had known how long it would take, I would have declined. But it didn't give me
that option. My computer is less than a year old. It came preloaded with WIN8.

kelkay

kelkay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
Thank you. I will take a look at that. :-)

kelkay

kelkay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
I wanted to make a recovery disk on dvds. If something happens to my flash drive, I am in trouble. So they call this making a recovery drive?

You can use your Dell restore discs to put you back to when you first bought the computer.

How did you do the upgrade? Where did you download from?

See here: How to Create a Recovery USB Flash Drive in Windows 8 and 8.1. Option 2 shows you how to create an ISO using the ESD-ISO tools after you did a store upgrade.