Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer Crashes or Shuts Down without Warning

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Have you tried using the windows personalize option by right clicking on the desktop and go to personalize?
This should over the catalyst settings.
Another thing I would suggest is uninstall the new driver and then download and install only the driver and not the complete catalyst suite which has been known to cause problems in the past.

Advertisements

periwinkle

periwinkle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Well, I was able to restore Catalyst, which is the app that opens when I right click on my desktop.  I did some research and found a little video that showed how to reload ATI Catalyst.  I reloaded it, but it's still not right.

I already rolled back the driver from DriverMax.  It sounds like you're saying to get rid of Catalyst.  I just want to be able to change my screen resolution.  The screen resolution went back to the setting I had before the new driver was installed, but I can't change it anymore.   There is no more option to change the screen resolution.  I have no idea what happened to Catalyst.  And yeah, I agree it's sometimes difficult to use.   I'll try your suggestion when I get home.  It was late last night and I wasn't feeling well when all the driver nonsense started happening.  I really just want to be able to change my screen resolution when necessary.

One problem I've had in the past is that my screen resolution would just change all by itself after a restart - just another reason why I was leery about restarting the computer.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I've had a couple of topics where the screen resolution won't stay the same after restart. It almost always is a defective driver issue. Yes If you just download the video driver and not the catalysts suite you should have no problem.

periwinkle

periwinkle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

OK, here is something that happens quite frequently and I don't know what it means.  Avira will put up a notice that says "Guard:  Autorun blocked.  Access to the file 'D:\Autorun.inf' was blocked for your security.  Additional information on this is available in the help."  It is so random that it's almost meaningless.  I can be doing next to nothing and this warning comes up.  Any idea what it means?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I found this is part of Avira and the following should be able to fix it.

Try this: open Avira -> Configuration -> Guard -> Scan -> Action on detection and disable "Block autostart function". Does it help you?

periwinkle

periwinkle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Okay, I finally found this in Avira.  Must've been tired earlier, as I swear it was not there.  I'm just wondering why do I get these seemingly random notifications?  I certainly wouldn't want anyone to be able to autostart anything.

I'm guessing this will stop the notifications, but my question is really:  why am I getting them at all?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Avira turned the autorun feature off and that is why you are getting the notifications. Normally when you insert a cd, flash drive or usb drive windows would autostart it. If that is turned off it has to notify you and ask what you want it to do with the disc, drive or flash drive.

periwinkle

periwinkle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Avira was doing this notification without anything happening though.  I wasn't putting in a CD or a flash drive or anything at all.  The notice would just pop up randomly without any connection with any event at all that I could see.  Sometimes it would happen once and then again 2 seconds later.  Sometimes I'll go days without seeing it, then it will pop up a couple of times in an hour.  A lot of times, I'd get the notice as soon as I started up the computer.  It's late at night again, so I may have misunderstood you.  I was supposed to get out of town yesterday, but my back was bothering me and I am going to be driving 400 miles.  I may check in again before 7/8, but I will be out of town.  Thanks again for all your help, Ron.  I really appreciate that you get back to me right away! :D

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Any external hd connected to the system during startup?

periwinkle

periwinkle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

No, I do not have an external hard drive connected to the computer.  Like I said, the notifications were extremely random.  I could not tie them to any event going on.  They just pop up so randomly that I couldn't figure out what they were notifying me about.

I'm having another problem now and this is so very weird.  I keep trying to post a reply to zep here using Chrome:   http://www.geekstogo...view=getnewpost

and now I'm getting a blank screen!  It says geekstogo.com on the tab, but it isn't posting the link.  In fact, it says geekstogo on the tab, but it doesn't look like the post above.  He suggested that I try posting my OTL log in a different browser, so I tried Comodo - no go.  Then I tried IE, and it pasted the content but when I clicked "post", it said the content was too long!!!  I've never had this error before.  So I tried Firefox and my Firefox has changed since the last time I used it.  I did clean up some programs in my Control Panel, so maybe I deleted something related to FF?  When I tried to get into Yahoo (my email), it said the address was not recognized or that the site was not presenting a valid certificate.  I backed out of the page, but then my Yahoo loaded.  However, whenever I try to click on the link in the email from Geekstogo, I get a blank page and I cannot get back into the link in the Virus, Spyware and Malware Removal forums.  I've even tried searching via the Geekstogo website on Chrome, and I get a blank page every time I try to open up the post Zep/Joe and I are having about OTL.  It's very very strange!!!

When I try to access Zep/Joe's post in IE, the browser claims it's having diagnostic problems with the page.  It can open up Yahoo, but just not the link I posted above!  This is very very strange!

I'm thinking something very strange is going on.  I was able to get into Zep's post several times initially, but now suddenly I'm getting weird errors that show either a blank page or claim the link is incorrect.  Since when did the link become incorrect when I was able to access it several times without a problem?!  Not only that, but I can't even access the post within the Geekstogo site.  It just shows a blank page.

Edited by periwinkle, 04 July 2014 - 11:38 PM.

Advertisements

periwinkle

periwinkle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

I just tried to access this post http://www.geekstogo...view=getnewpost (which I was able to access just 30 minutes ago via the link!) on my tablet and the tablet reports the link is not correct.  What the [bleep] is going on here?!