Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Detecting Malware on a Mac

• Please log in to reply

timeandout

timeandout

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Yesterday, I stupidly downloaded an attachment from a phishing email (that looked like it was from Wells Fargo) on my macbook. My computer doesn't show any signs of infection. Do you think installing an antivirus is adequate action to take, with a scan? What else should I do? I saw your guide for help with malware, but it looked like it was for Windows (since you have to download a .exe file).

Advertisements

iEscape

iEscape

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
@ timeandout,

Try this: go to the Apple Store and type Bitdefender Virus Scanner (is a free app).

timeandout

timeandout

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the advice. I downloaded free Sophos antivirus, and it didn't detect anything. So, I'm hoping my computer is alright.

Meowware

Meowware

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Download ClamXAV and perform a scan to find malicious software on your Mac.

timeandout

timeandout

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello meowware. I would download that, but I'm sure I would have uninstall Sophos. Like I wrote earlier, Sophos didn't detect anything on my Mac. So, I think I am okay. I think it was purely a phishing attempt.