Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

geekstogo TFC, how long should this program run

• Please log in to reply

oldrailroadgeek

oldrailroadgeek

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
I started geekstogo TFC at 10:00am and by 4:00pm it had not progressed past "stopping running programs". Is this normal? Should I try again to run it? Or as an old codger, should I just go back to Pen & Paper? HELP

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That doesn't sound normal. I would suggest stopping it using Task Manager and trying again. It really sounds like a hiccup in the startup. I''ve been using it for years and never had it do that. If you have problems again post it in your next reply and I will find OldTimer and see if he can help you. He is the creator and is part of our staff here at GTG.

oldrailroadgeek

oldrailroadgeek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
Thanks, I will try running it again and advise you of results.
Oldrailroadgeek

oldrailroadgeek

oldrailroadgeek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
Response to RShaffer61:
I tried to run TFC a second time, again the program started and showed it was stopping running processes and then no further action for 4 hours. A Program Not Responding Message appeared in the top of the window. I did not see the message after I started the program until it had been running for at least 2 hours, so I am not sure when the message appeared. Any further suggestions on what I can do. From Task Manager I saw that I had at least 53 processes running using from 8% to 100% of CPU capacity.
Oldrailroadgeek

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK let me message OldTimer and see what he says.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Message sent and in the meantime can I ask for some info?
Brand, make and model of your system
How much total space and free space on your HD
How much total memory installed

Can you do the following also so I can see what is running automatically.

Download Autoruns from the link in my signature below:

1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Click the Options at the top of the Window. In the new little window click the box that states Hide Microsoft Services
5: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
6: Save the file as AutoRuns.txt file instead of the default .arn to a known location like your Desktop.
7: Attach to your next reply.
8: DO NOT do anything till we have had a chance to study the log and reply with suggestions as to what to remove.

oldrailroadgeek

oldrailroadgeek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
rshaffer61
System is EMachine EL1300G-02; AMD Athlon 2650e processor; 1.5GB DDR2 memory; 160GB Hard Drive; 100GB free space
Oldrailroadgeek

oldrailroadgeek

oldrailroadgeek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
rshaffer61
I have file of autoruns.txt but am unable to Drag & Drop without the file opening, covering the screen and leaving me un able to post the reply; ANY suggestionsAttached File  AutoRuns.txt   43.91KB   168 downloads

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
System specs and autoruns look good.
I''m not sure why it is stopping but looking in the most obvious right now.

What OS are you running?

oldrailroadgeek

oldrailroadgeek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
eshaffer61
I am using Windows XP Media Center Edition; Service Pack 3
oldrailroader

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
SFC /Scannow Fix Windows

Go Start and then to Run ("Start Search" in Vista),
Type in: sfc /scannow
Click OK (Enter in Vista).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy.
If System File Checker (sfc) finds any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD.
If sfc does not find any errors in Windows XP, it will simply quit, without any message.
In Vista you will receive the following message: "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".

For Vista users ONLY: Navigate to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder. You'll see CBS.log file.
Usually, it's pretty big file, so upload it to Flyupload, and post download link.

If you don't have Windows CD....
This applies mostly to Windows XP, since Vista rarely requires use of its DVD while running "sfc"
Note This method will not necessarily work as well, as when using Windows CD, because not always ALL system files are backed up on your hard drive. Also, backed up files may be corrupted as well.

Go Start and then Run
type in regedit and click OK

Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries Values on the right hand side.

The one we want is called: SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, usually D and that is why it is asking for the XP CD.
All we need to do is change it to: C:
Now, double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up.
Change the drive letter from your CD drive to your root drive, usually C:
Close Registry Editor.

Now restart your computer and try sfc /scannow again!

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

oldrailroadgeek

oldrailroadgeek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
rshaffer61
I attempted to run SFC/Scannow, and was promptly told that Windows could not find sfc/scannow. A search of the system produced the same result. My computer came with windows preloaded and no disc fr backup. I ran regedit and followed route to sourcepath and found it set for
C/Windows. Where do I go now? can I download sfc/scannow or what? I think I should change my screen name to oldrailroader as I do not deserve to add geek, because I am obviously just an amateur. The computers I started with were just card readers with hard-wired programs and I evidently have not progressed much farther or at least not far enough to be classified as a geek.
oldrailroader

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It looks like you put
sfc/scannow instead of
sfc /scannow

Make sure there is a space between the C and the /

oldrailroadgeek

oldrailroadgeek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
rshaffer61
I ran sfc /scannow properly typed out and it started but the error message insert xp professional CD in cd drive with option to try again, I tried again and message said I had inserted wrong cd or my dvd was not working. I cancelled program. ??
oldrailroadgeek

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK did you try the second part that starts with If you don't have Windows CD....
The files may be in the I386 on the hd already.