Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

geekstogo TFC, how long should this program run

• Please log in to reply

Naathim

Naathim

GeekU Minion

• Expert
  • 4,568 posts
If I can make a little input, I think it may be worth trying :)

I had some cases where TFC stalled because of turned-on security software. TFC has implemented processes killing ability, which for some security apps can look suspicious, especially when TFC tries to kill them ;)
Try to temporarily switch off your AV, FW and other security apps, then run TFC. Let us know the results :)

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thanks Naathim I didn't even think of that as a possibility. :thumbsup:

oldrailroadgeek

oldrailroadgeek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
Naathim
I will try this and then rshaffer61's suggestion for the problem with sfc /scannow. Thanks to both of you for your help
oldrailroadgeek

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
We will wait for your results. :thumbsup:

oldrailroadgeek

oldrailroadgeek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
rshaffer61
I tried running sfc /scannow again, I keep getting the message box "files required for windows to run properly must be copied to DLL Cache."
"insert XP professional disc in dvd" No other options are available in the window. I have no idea what to do with "I386". ?? If I have the source path set for "C:" why is it still asking for a disc in the DVD? or should I change the path to C:/Windows/I386? I appreciate all the time and effort you have spent on helping me solve these problems. Turning off the firewall, AV and other protective devices did not help with TFC, it still just sat there for over an hour with no progress.
oldrailroadgeek

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK since you are running XP we can try a different program.

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune.

Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
If you use Firefox browserClick Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
If you use Opera browserClick Opera at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
For Technical Support, double-click the e-mail address located at the bottom of each menu.
[/list]
If this does not work then:

Go to:

Start and then My Computer
Right Click On "C" drive and then click on Properties
Click on Tools tab at the top
In the Error Checking field click Check Now

When that is done

Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:

It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged

Reboot and let me know how system is running now

http://www.atribune....id=25&Itemid=25

oldrailroadgeek

oldrailroadgeek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
rshaffer61
I downloaded and ran ATF Cleaner, it emptied the recycle bin and then showed system cleaned. This took less tan 30 seconds. That seemed awfully fast to clean all the temp files. I ran it a second time and it was even faster with the same message all cleaned.
I restarted the computer and tried to run error check, it finished phase one but during phase two it error messaged "unable to complete error check".
I installed and ran Auslogics Defrag, it took 20 minutes and did a full defrag. Under system health it showed 457 Registry errors and 387 junk files. What is the best program for registry error removal and junk file removal?
Oldrailroadgeek

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Do not mess with the registry. Auslogics has that message for everyone that uses it. Disregard that please and don't worry because most of what it finds is orphaned files which are no problem at all.
Have you tried chkdsk instead of error check?

Go to

Start and then to Run
Type in Chkdsk /r Note the space between k and /
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y
If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
This one will take longer then chkdsk /f

Note... there are 5 stages...
It may appear to hang at a certain percent for a hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS
This can take several hours to complete.
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

Reboot after your done running chkdsk /r...
then Go to Start...Run and type: eventvwr.msc press Enter
When Event Viewer opens, click on Applications... then scroll down to Winlogon and double-click on it. This is the log created after running Checkdisk...copy and paste the log back here

We will advise after studying the log.

oldrailroadgeek

oldrailroadgeek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
rshaffer61
Will perform this task late tonight, will try to have results in the am.
oldrailroadgeek

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No problem :thumbsup:

Advertisements

Naathim

Naathim

GeekU Minion

• Expert
  • 4,568 posts
I'd do that another way. After Ron's instructions please provide us another report from the below tool.

Please download MiniToolBox by Farbar and save it to your desktop.

Close any open browsers!

Run MiniToolBox by double-clicking the Posted Image icon
(Users of Windows Vista and above please right-click and choose Run as Administrator).

You will be presented with this window:

Posted Image

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  • List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List Installed Programs
  • List Devices
  • List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
  • List Minidump Files
Click Go and post the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.

Post it's content into your next reply.

oldrailroadgeek

oldrailroadgeek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
rshaffer61 & Naathim
I ran chkdsk /r and resulting winlogon.txt attached. I also installed and ran Mini Tool Box and Result.txt is also attached. Chkdsk took less than 1 hr to run.
Oldrailroadgeek

Attached Files

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I see a entry for playalot games that seems to be having issues Naathim. :confused: I found this on it:

What is Playalot Games?
Playalot Games is installed with the InstallIQ software bundler which is an install manager that will perform the installation of the desired software and will make recommendations for additional advertising supported or other 3rd party software that may include toolbars, browser add-ons, security programs, and other types of programs. Although you are not required to install any additional software, you need to manually uncheck the additional software bundled or it will be installed on your PC. Uninstalling Playalot Games will not automatically removed the bundled software.

Naathim

Naathim

GeekU Minion

• Expert
  • 4,568 posts
I see another problem here: Lots of services are terminated unexpectedly, especially related with MBAM and ZoneAlarm.

I'm gonna need another look:

Please download Farbar Service Scanner by Farbar
Run it by double-clicking the Posted Image icon.
(Users of Windows Vista and above please right-click and choose Run as Administrator).
  • Make sure that all available options are checked!
  • Press "Scan".
  • It will create a log (FSS.txt) in the same directory the tool is run.
  • Please copy and paste the log to your reply.

Of course that Playalot Games should be uninstalled (Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs).

I'd ever consider full Malwarebytes' reinstall, but later on. Maybe the FSS log will bring us some answers :thumbsup:

oldrailroadgeek

oldrailroadgeek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
Naathim
Here is the log FSS.txt.. I will remove Play-a-lot Games. I used to play Mah Jong with real Chinese ivory tiles with friends, this was a form of the game we played when we did not have the current years rules available. Nostalgia can create problems for us old-timers.
oldrailroadgeek

Attached Files

• Attached File  FSS.txt   2.19KB   167 downloads