Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MyPC BackUp pop-ups [Closed]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

BG Runner

BG Runner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Yes still here but not had the time with work to attend to this. Will try & continue this weekend.

Advertisements

Nutloaf

Nutloaf

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,790 posts
Thanks for the update :thumbsup:

BG Runner

BG Runner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Unfortunately, even though I have uninstalled AVG, each time I run ESET after 4+ hours the laptop screen goes blank and Ihave to restart it. There is no useful log file saved. I am going to install Avast free as suggested by you but I don'y know what else I can do. I don't think I can run ESET scan again.

Nutloaf

Nutloaf

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,790 posts
O.K I think this may have something to do with your power settings, i.e. the PC thinking it's on idle and going on standby.

Can you have a look at the following for me and see what it says:

Click Start - Control Panel - Power Options - On the selected plan click Change Plan settings See if the PC is set to Sleep at any-time.

BG Runner

BG Runner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
"Put the computer to sleep" is set at 15 minutes on battery and 1 hour plugged in. Should I change the 1 hour to never for the time being?

Nutloaf

Nutloaf

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,790 posts
Yes please, when the scan is running the PC thinks it's not doing anything and turning off.

Select Never for this and the same for the other options like Turn Off Display :thumbsup:

Now the ESET scan will go through :)

BG Runner

BG Runner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Changed the power settings to never as instructed and run ESET again (with Avast disabled). When I have come back several hours later the screen-saver is active (not the previous blank screen)and a requirement to log-on. Once past this there is no sign of any active programme (internet explorer or ESET) and no sign of a new log file in programme files. I assume the laptop has restarted. What now?

Nutloaf

Nutloaf

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,790 posts
O.K lets make sure this time that all power saving settings are stopped. This is logging you off!

1. Hibernate Off

• Click Start and then type cmd in the Start Search box.
  • In the search results list, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as Administrator.
  • When you are prompted by User Account Control, click Continue.
  • At the command prompt, type powercfg.exe /hibernate off and press Enter.
  • Type exit and then press Enter to close the Command Prompt window

2. Screensaver Off

• Click Start and then copy and paste the following in the search bar - change screen saver and click the item from the list
  • Under Screen saver select None from the dropdown menu. Click Apply then O.K
  • Now run ESET

BG Runner

BG Runner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
I have followed all your instructions. The scan has run for 5hrs 42mins overnight and I have now found the screen frozen with only 48% of the scan completed with 2 threats both worded the same: "a variant of Win32/InstallCore.CVapplication" picked up. I am losing the will to carry on with this. Is there anything else we should do? If not should I put back some of the previous changes e.g. screen-saver and power options.

Nutloaf

Nutloaf

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,790 posts
O.K this is strange, this is also almost the end of the clean as well which makes it more frustrating. I am looking into this today and an alternative tool for us to use.

Advertisements

Nutloaf

Nutloaf

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,790 posts
Hi there :)

Not sure why ESET is freezing so we will use another tool and the good news - it only takes 60 seconds!

1. BitDefender online Scanner

• Use this link to run a free on line scan with BitDefender online Scanner
  • Click the green Start Scanner button
  • Click the green Scan Now button and wait a few seconds until a request appears from Bitdefender
  • Accept the plugin installation
  • Restart your browser in Administation mode if requested
  • Click the green Scan Now button again
  • Accept the eula agreement if asked
  • The scan should start. It will be relatively quick.
  • Click View report if present (note: this is not the green button - Free download - just click on the words View report under the black button "Get QuickScan for your website")
  • Notepad will open with a log, Save this to your desktop and Copy and paste the report in the next post.

Nutloaf

Nutloaf

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,790 posts
Still in need of help?

BG Runner

BG Runner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Yes - as per usual work is getting in the way. I will reply over the weekend.

Nutloaf

Nutloaf

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,790 posts
:thumbsup:

BG Runner

BG Runner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Have run scan and "no active infections on your PC" found.
Clicking on the black button "Get QuickScan for your website" brings up a box with entries to complete: your website, your email, width, height and verification code. Not sure what to do at thie point.
I cannot find a report to view.