Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Laptop problem --- hmmm

• Please log in to reply

BumpSkillz

BumpSkillz

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have a Compaq Presario 1500 laptop that I received recently from a buddy of mine, and the DVD/CDRW drive was not working properly. I went to the hardware store to pick up the "star key" I need to open the laptop up, and when I got home I did exactly that.

When I opened the laptop up, I started taking out some of the screws so I could get to the drive and push it out. I did that, pushed it out, looked at it (looked fine) and popped it back in, figuring that perhaps it just wasn't in all the way and that's why it didn't work.

Then I put it all back together, press the power button....... The system turns on but the screen does not, then the DVD/CDRW drive reads, then the HD, (and the green light is on that shows the HD is thinking) and then the GREEN LIGHT TURNS OFF, and the system just sits there with a blank screen. The HD seems to stop altogether and the laptop just sits there, still powered on, but doing nothing.

If I leave it there for a minute or so --- ON --- the fan will kick on. I opened it BACK up to see if I loosed a connection or something while I was in there, but everything looks fine.

ANY IDEAS ON WHAT IT MIGHT BE???

Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Not being funny, but are there any brightness/contrast controls etc on the screen? If so, its possible you just knocked them when taking the thing apart.

I don't mean to sound patrinizing but it's easily done & I like to eliminate the obvious first!

BumpSkillz

BumpSkillz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
It's fine, I appreciate the help.

No, unfortunately there are not any color control or anything on the screen.

It's just so strange. I JUST used it before I opened it up, and everything was perfectly fine. I am farely experienced with building/opening up computers, so I don't see what I did wrong to screw something up. I don't remember if the green HD light would blink on startup up to the sign in screen. I know it does it when it loads from the sign in screen to Windows. So maybe it's not the HD, but then I wouldn't know what it is.

The green POWER light stays on, the GREEN HD activity light is the one that stays off. It does so right after the DVD drive reads for a moment and then the HD reads for maybe a second, then the laptop goes silent, but it's on, and as I said, the fan kicks on when it warms up.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Theres a couple of possibilities that spring to mind.
1. The hard drive is not correctly inserted or one of the pins has got bent. I've dismantled plenty of laptops myself & I know that the hard drive can be a pain to refit correctly as you can't always see what you are doing.
2. Some other connector has been dislodged (such as the internal cable to the screen etc)
3. Its possible I guess that the laptop may need a reset, especially if it thinks a different drive has been connected. I'll look into the method of doing this for compaqs if you like.

I take it theres no sort of diagnostic codes - eg beeping or sequence of CAPS LOCK/NUM LOCK/SCROLL LOCK lights flashing etc.
If not, do the keyboard lights flash up once after power on?

BumpSkillz

BumpSkillz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
The power up sequence seems to be something like this:
1. Press power button.
2. System turns on, HD activity light comes on.
3. DVD drive, Floppy drive, HD quickly "read" (activity light on)
4. HD activity light turns off, all drives quiet, but power light stays on.
5. After a little while, the fan kicks on.
6. Power down by holding power button.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
What about the keyboard lights (ie caps lock/scroll lock/num lock)?

BumpSkillz

BumpSkillz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
They don't come on at all during the startup.

BumpSkillz

BumpSkillz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I looked at it again --- I can't figure it out for the life of me.

BumpSkillz

BumpSkillz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
:tazz:

I wasn't going to settle for something being wrong, so I took EVERYTHING back out and put it all back in, making sure each connector and driver was in correctly...

IT STARTED. Thanks for your help Samm... much appreciated.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
You're welcome, I'm glad you've managed to fix it ok.