Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

low/no memory error suspect malware [Closed] [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

kate720

kate720

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Happy Monday,

Still planning to run the last set of test tomorrow or Wednesday at the latest. I've had a lot of other obligations. Thanks for your patience. :unsure:

Advertisements

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts

Happy Monday,

Still planning to run the last set of test tomorrow or Wednesday at the latest. I've had a lot of other obligations. Thanks for your patience. :unsure:

No worries :) I just wanted to check in so we can keep this thread active. :thumbsup:

kate720

kate720

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Happy Thursday,

Sorry for the delay. I still haven't located the link for esat that you mentioned in post #29 (Text below)

{The bar to run it is usually underneath where it says "Detects and Removes Threats" However, if you look under that, you will see Need help? Click here. Click that link and it will take you to a another page that has the Run ESET Online Scanner bar. }

The only "Need help" link on the page comes after this text on the main page;
"Optimized for Internet Explorer. Chrome and Firefox users will need to download and run a small utility file before starting scan. Need help? Click here"

When I clicked that link it brought me to a help page that does not contain a download link. I attached the viewable part of the page as a screen shot. I did not see the scanner bar on the page at all.
The url is http://www.eset.com/...-scanner/help/. Please let me know what I am missing

Warmest regards,
Kate

Attached Thumbnails

• eset1212.png

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts
Ok, for the moment, let's skip the eset scan. :) Go ahead and run the Malwarebytes scan and post the log from it. :thumbsup:

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts
Also, please run the SecurityCheck program as well, and post the log from it. :thumbsup:

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts
Hello :) Here's what we will do, and I apologize for the multiple posts.

1.) Run the Malwarebytes Scan and post the log from it.

2.) Run SecurityCheck and post the log from it.

3.) Run a scan with your current Anti-Virus program (Total Defense) and post the log from it.

Again, I do apologize for the multiple posts.

kate720

kate720

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
TGIF! Here are the outputs for security and malware programs. My Total Defense output will follow shortly.

Thank you !!!

Security Check output _
Results of screen317's Security Check version 0.99.77
Windows 7 Service Pack 1 x86 (UAC is enabled)
Internet Explorer 11
``````````````Antivirus/Firewall Check:``````````````
Windows Firewall Enabled!
Windows Firewall Disabled!
Total Defense Anti-Virus Plus
Antivirus up to date!
`````````Anti-malware/Other Utilities Check:`````````
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware version 1.75.0.1300
Java™ 6 Update 22
Java™ 6 Update 31
Java 7 Update 45
Adobe Flash Player 11.9.900.170
Adobe Reader 10.1.8 Adobe Reader out of Date!
Mozilla Firefox (25.0.1)
Google Chrome 31.0.1650.57
Google Chrome 31.0.1650.63
````````Process Check: objlist.exe by Laurent````````
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware mbamservice.exe
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware mbamgui.exe
CA CA Internet Security Suite CA Anti-Virus Plus caamsvc.exe
CA CA Internet Security Suite CA Anti-Virus Plus isafe.exe
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware mbamscheduler.exe
`````````````````System Health check`````````````````
Total Fragmentation on Drive C: 8%
````````````````````End of Log``````````````````````

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (Trial) 1.75.0.1300
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: v2013.12.12.06

Windows 7 Service Pack 1 x86 NTFS
Internet Explorer 11.0.9600.16428
Alonso Alienware :: ALONSOALIENWARE [administrator]

Protection: Enabled

12/12/2013 3:16:17 PM
mbam-log-2013-12-12 (15-16-17).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Scan options enabled: Memory | Startup | Registry | File System | Heuristics/Extra | Heuristics/Shuriken | PUP | PUM
Scan options disabled: P2P
Objects scanned: 445214
Time elapsed: 57 minute(s), 44 second(s)

Memory Processes Detected: 0
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Detected: 0

Registry Keys Detected: 0

Registry Values Detected: 0

Registry Data Items Detected: 0

Folders Detected: 0

Files Detected: 4
C:\Users\Sarah\Documents\Downloads\c.exe (PUP.Optional.InstallIQ.A) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Users\Alonso Alienware\Downloads\mozilla firefox setup.exe (PUP.Optional.Soft32.A) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Users\Alonso Alienware\Downloads\FlashPlayer__3142_i114415060_il5.exe (PUP.Optional.InstallMonetizer) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Users\Sarah\Downloads\movie_player.exe (PUP.Optional.InstallIQ.A) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

(end)

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts
Looks good! :) :thumbsup: Only one program needs updating from the SecurityCheck log. Depending on what we see in the Total Defense log, we're getting close to having it whipped. How is the machine running?

kate720

kate720

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Happy Monday Again - And Thank YOU for hanging in with me through this process. It does not appear the total defense generates a report. After the LONG scan it posted a screen showing no threats detected. It appears to only have content when a threat has been detected, in which case lists what was found. I attached the content of the "report" tab, which appears to be a generic summary. I have not seen any signs of the memory issue that started this conversation.

Attached Thumbnails

• Total Defense Report.png

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts

Happy Monday Again - And Thank YOU for hanging in with me through this process. It does not appear the total defense generates a report. After the LONG scan it posted a screen showing no threats detected. It appears to only have content when a threat has been detected, in which case lists what was found. I attached the content of the "report" tab, which appears to be a generic summary. I have not seen any signs of the memory issue that started this conversation.

You are very much welcome :) I'm also glad that we've resolved your computer's problem. I have some last steps awaiting approval by my teacher to finish up. He's offline for the evening, but I should hear something from him in the morning. :)

Advertisements

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts
Hello :)

Great news, your logs are CLEAN! :thumbsup: :) But we still have a few things we need to address namely:

• I need to remove the tools we installed on your machine.
  • We also have some programs on your machine that need updating to help protect you in the future.
  • I also have some information and tips to help you avoid infections in the future.

Step 1: Program Updates

Updating Adobe Reader

• Malware will exploit any vulnerabilities it can find in outdated software. If you are using Adobe Reader for reading pdf files, try using FoxIt Reader. It is a very capable alternative to Adobe.
  • Please click here to download FoxIt Reader.
  • If you wish to continue to use Adobe Reader, then please update it by clicking here.
  • Please remember to uncheck the option to install McAfee's Security Suite.

Keeping your software updated

Another weapon against malicious programs and viruses is to keeping other programs updated. There are several programs out there that can check for out of date programs on your computer. One is Filehippo. You can run this on a weekly or monthly basis to check your programs for updates and then it will provide a link for you to download them.

Download Filehippo Updatechecker

Step 2: Creation of a new restore point

We're going to delete your old restore points and create a new one. We do this in case you need to do a system restore, you will have a clean restore point.

Please follow the instructions below:

• Start OTL and copy the text in the quote box below.
  • Paste the contents into the Custom Scans/Fixes box and click the Run Fix button.
  • OTL will delete the old restore points and create a new one.

:Files
%systemroot%\system32\vssadmin delete shadows /for=c: /all /quiet /c

:Commands
[CreateRestorePoint]

Step 3: Tool Removal

• You can delete Junkware Removal Tool from your desktop.
  • Start AdwCleaner and press the Uninstall button. AdwCleaner will clean up it's files and delete itself.
  • Start OTL and press the Cleanup button. OTL will clean up it's files and then delete itself.
  • You can delete TFC and WinDirStat from your desktop.
  • I recommend you keep Malwarebytes Anti-Malware on your machine. It's a very good defense against malware. :)

Step 4: Tips and Information

• Watch what you open in your emails. If you get an email from an unknown source with any attached files, do not open it.
  • Be careful of the websites you visit.
  • When installing new programs, don't be "click happy" and click through the screens. Many programs come with adware in them and are set to install them by default. Several programs require that you uncheck or select no to prevent the installation. Take you time and read each screen as you go. :)
  • To help protect yourself while on the web, I recommend you read How did I get infected in the first place?

Are there any further issues I can assist you with?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.