Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Dial-Up Speed

• Please log in to reply

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts
In anyone's opinion, what is minimum acceptable dial-up speed?

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts
Wikpedia: Dialup Internet Access > Performance

Modern dial-up modems typically have a maximum theoretical transfer speed of 56 kbit/s (using the V.90 or V.92 protocol), although in most cases 40-50 kbit/s is the norm. Factors such as phone line noise as well as the quality of the modem itself play a large part in determining connection speeds.

Some connections may be as low as 20 kbit/s in extremely "noisy" environments, such as in a hotel room where the phone line is shared with many extensions, or in a rural area, many miles from the phone exchange. Other things such as long loops, loading coils, pair gain, electric fences (usually in rural locations), and digital loop carriers can also cripple connections to 20 kbit/s or lower.

Dial-up connections usually have latency as high as 300 ms or even more; this is longer than for many forms of broadband, such as cable or DSL, but typically less than satellite connections. Longer latency can make online gaming or video conferencing difficult, if not impossible.

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts
Last year I was using a Trednet Modem and was attaining 46.2 and as low as 41.6. Due to an electrical storm my modem got cooked. I inserted an Intel 56psi modem and up to a few months ago I attained an average speed of 34.6 and as low as 28.6. A few months ago I had my phone lines checked and at the same time I purchased som wireless phones in the house( I don't know if this counts as an extension that you speak about. I did have some static on the line and had the phone company check the service and the line from the pole to the house had to be changed and it was. Currently I only get 28.6 as a max and as low as 26 somethimes.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts
Is it faster if you completely disconnect all of the new "wireless phones in the house"?

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts
Will check it out and reply later.