Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

please help hard disk drive failure

• Please log in to reply

aandadailey

aandadailey

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i have a computer (DELL inspiron 530s) that recently has been saying hard disk drive failure when i try to start it up. it gives me the option to press F1 to continue or press F2 for setup. when i press F1 to continue a black screen will eventually pop up and say

No boot device available press ENTER key to retry

SATA-0: Installed
SATA-1: Installed
SATA-4: None
SATA-5: None

im not very experienced at working on PCs. thought about taking my DELL latitude D610 laptop hard drive and hooking it to the desktop to find out if the hard drive has gone bad or if something else happened when i replaced the power supply. or maybe its something else i dont know really. like i said im very inexperienced when it comes to PCs. when i replaced that PSU that was the first time i had ever opened a PC up and worked on the inside. any help would be greatly appreciated
thank you
Aaron

PS. my wife was the first to experience this happen while i was at work. she said she didnt know what to do. but i guess it eventually did boot up completely after a few trys. i dont know if she kept hitting enter to retry or if she kept turning the PC on and off until it eventually worked. not sure what she did but she said that she didnt mess with any of the settings. i havent had the same luck. i have tried turning it off and on a few times and hitting enter over and over again but still get the same results

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
:welcome: aandadailey

Just to clarify, had you just replaced the PSU immediately before this happened.

Have you tried the Dell diagnostic tests by pressing F12 when you power up the computer, full details Here

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
If you know the manufacturer of the disk, you can download a diagnostic program to test the disks.

It sounds like there is a problem with the disk since you say that sometimes it works, although it could be a problem with the power supply. Did you make sure that the power supply had a high enough power rating for the system?

You could try removing other devices to see if the machine works. Also, you could take the disk out and connect it to an external case and see if the disk works.

I would not attempt to use the disk from another system to test it in case the power supply is the problem, as well as other issues.