Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU shoots up to 100% when viewing picture/video thumbnails in folder

• Please log in to reply

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP
First thing to do is to run a disk check on D:

1. Double-click My Computer, and then right-click the hard disk that you want to check. D:
2. Click Properties, and then click Tools.
3. Under Error-checking, click Check Now. A dialog box that shows the Check disk options is displayed,
4. Check both boxes and then click Start.

I wouldn't expect it to need to reboot but it might.

I saw that 2nd HD in your Speccy log but unfortunately it doesn't seem to support S.M.A.R.T. so couldn't get any feel for its condition. If you run Speedfan, and select the S.M.A.R.T. tab then select the drive it might be able to tell you more.

Advertisements

faburizu

faburizu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
I ran the disk check, it took about two and a half hours, but nothing popped up except that its recycle bin was corrupted.

As for the SMART check, Posted Image

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP
S.M.A.R.T. looks good.

Were you able to empty the recycle bin?

Any change?

You might let Avast scan the D: drive and see if it sees anything. Zero Access likes to hide int he Recycle Bin.

Sometimes on the old IDE drives the driver would get set to the wrong transfer rate. "PIO only" instead of "use DMA if possible" but it appears that only your boot drive is IDE and the other is the newer SATA so that's probably not it. Have to say that's an odd combination. You would normally want to boot off the faster drive.

Comes back to the problem of the Bridge software I expect. You said this was an E-machine but didn't give me a model number.

faburizu

faburizu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
I did empty the bin.

I ran Avast as a full scan on D: and nothing.

I have an emachine ET1331G-03w.

Edited by faburizu, 15 November 2013 - 06:28 PM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP
There is a newer BIOS (If I have the correct PC, ET1331G rather than EI1331G):

http://support.gatew...=1&modelId=1811

Click on the BIOS tab and you will see two. The second one (the one that does not say Linus is what you want) 1. Fixes S3 Keep Lighting, PS2 KB/MS cannot wakeup issue. eMachines P01.A2 1.6 MB 01/19/2010

Can you verify that you installed the Chipset Driver on the Driver tab? The 164.8 MB one or the 37.9 MB?

faburizu

faburizu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
I downloaded the file went to WinTool > 64 > AFUWINx64.exe and ran it, flashed the bios although msinfo32 does not show that it changed. I think I might have done something wrong. Do you know of a guide to make sure I don't mess up my bios? And where do I find the chipset driver?

faburizu

faburizu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Help, now my computer won't start. I'm typing this from my tablet.

I woke up this morning to a loud fan on my PC. I turned on the monitor and it said on a black reboot screen: DQS training failed on previous boot, reverted to slower DRAM speed. Press F1 to continue.

I pressed F1 and nothing happened, so I manually rebooted.

Then it said, CMOS checksum bad.

Then, reboot and select proper boot device.

Now its just telling me that over and over.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP
After you flashed the BIOS did it reboot at least once without a problem?

Can you get into the BIOS setup? If so, set it to defaults then save and exit.

faburizu

faburizu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

After you flashed the BIOS did it reboot at least once without a problem?

Can you get into the BIOS setup? If so, set it to defaults then save and exit.

This was the first reboot after the BIOS installation. I never rebooted immediately after.

I fixed it - the way my computer works, my computer boots off of the 500GB SATA drive, whereas my OS itself is loaded on the IDE drive - as I understand it according to the person who built my computer. The problem now is, under the setup menu, I cannot choose the 500GB SATA as my boot default. However, under the F12 boot menu, I CAN select the 500GB SATA, which is what I did to boot it now. But I will have to continue doing so at every boot until I can figure out why the SATA isn't registering under the bios setup menu. Do you have any ideas why it's not?

Btw - the new bios made my ctrl+alt+del work again, but the explorer.exe 100% cpu problem is still there.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP
The Chipset Drivers are under the Driver tab on this page:

http://support.gatew...=1&modelId=1811

Usually there is an option in the BIOS to enable SATA. Look and see if you have anything.

I'm at a Microsoft Conference this week so expect delays.

Advertisements