Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Get Windows XP Working after re activation

• Please log in to reply

TeaForTwo

TeaForTwo

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
I was on a computer at work the other day and after cleaning it up a bit and updating Itunes something seemed to go wrong, it started restarting as soon as a program was clicked and had to be booted into safe mode to use.

Then Windows started asking to be reactivated - which was done and the activation messages have now gone. The computer now loads up and (seem's to be) stable.

However there are a fewproblems (that might be related)

1 - It's not on the network, it's connected to the router via ethernet cable but it doesn't seem to be showing up anywhere.

2 - The USB ports don't work (Though I'm not sure if they've been tested since Window's was reactivated.)

3 - The display is different, the start menu looks like this :

Posted Image

Though It used to look like this

Posted Image

I think that there might be some services disabled / limited (via msconfig) though it's been a few day's since I was on the computer.

Was wondering If there was anything obvious or how I should try to sort this out? Any log's or anything I should try?

Thanks

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
What did you do when you "cleaned it up a bit"? You're best bet may be to do a System Restore to before this cleanup.

TeaForTwo

TeaForTwo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

What did you do when you "cleaned it up a bit"? You're best bet may be to do a System Restore to before this cleanup.

Cleaned it up a bit was just malware bytes and CC Cleaner (Not registery) The problems seemed to start after the itunes update... I think you're right about the restore point, the last one was made in 2008 though so I wanted to get the files off it first. But the internet wasn't working and neither were the USB ports or CD Burner so I was a bit stuck on how to do that :huh:

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
One way is to pull the hard drive and mount it as a slave drive in another computer to copy off any data.
Without a working network, CD burner or USB port, there is no other way I can think of.

Also, without those working I don't see how you are going to fix this.
If the CD drive works for reading then you could reinstall XP or if there is a recovery partition on the hard drive you could restore it to factory new state.