Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Graphics card fan speeds

• Please log in to reply

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
I recently purchased Batman Arkham Origins.

As soon as i run the game my Graphics cards fan runs very fast.
I have checked requirements for this game and i meet the maximum requirements listed for this game.

I am concerned i will either burn out my fan on the graphics card by how fast it is running,i have no way of knowing the temps on card,only the temps on my CPU and Motherboard i have a monitor,which get up to about 45c on CPU lower on Motherboard temps when game is playing.

Is there any reason anybody knows why this is happening to me,can not seem to find many answers online for this game it is new.
All i can understand of this is maybe because of the intense graphics of this game is the reasons why.

I have a EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti with 2GB of DDR5 RAM with latest drivers
Intel i5 CPU @ 3.0 GHZ,3001 MHZ
1tb HDD 7200RPM SATA 3 6gb.s
500w PSU
2 CASE FANS Noctua's 90mm and 80mm

Thanks

Edited by jds63, 13 November 2013 - 08:31 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Hello jds63

It is possible that the issue is hardware related, what is the brand and model name or number of the 500W PSU please.

The GTX 560Ti does indeed require a PSU with a minimum of a 500W output but in addition to this the PSU must have a minimum of 30a on the +12V rail (and two 6 pin pci-e power dongles) or the card will have issues.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
Hi Phillpower2,
It is a Corsair CX500 V2 PSU and GeForce GTX 560 ti SSC is connected to the PSU but card only has one PCI-E power dongle input on it and i have it connected.

Specs for the card say 400w or greater 20a on the +12V Rail.This is not the 650ti boost card.Attached a pdf of cards specs.

Corsair CX500 V2 Specs:

AC Input 90-264V
Input Current 8-4A
Frequency 47Hz~63Hz

DC Output Rating:

Max Load Max Output
+3.3V 25A 130W
+5V 20A 130W
+12V 34A 408W
-12V 0.8A 9.6W
+5Vsb 3A 15W

Total Power 500W

Phill i have other games like Batman Arkham City which is one before this one and it does not do this at all,either have other games,same PSU.

Other hardware is Creative Sound Blaster Z Sound Card ,,two SATA 3 1TB HDD,Arctic Freezer 13 Cooler and LG BD ROM.

Thanks for input hope this helps to determine something.

Attached Files

Edited by jds63, 14 November 2013 - 02:13 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Hello jds63

Do you have a link to your particular card as the information that I can find is conflicting, see Here

The CX500 has adequate amps but I am puzzled why the cards that I find require 2 supplementary power dongles and not 1.

Download Speedfan and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

Posted Image
(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Depending on the results we may need to run further software for comparison http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
O.K. Phillpower,

Do not know why that link shows different for my graphics card here is a link for it My link
Here is what Speedfan shows truthfully i see 90c for CPU that is no way the temps i have a monitoring program and at the time showed 32c. Well hopefully i am right on what iam looking at on Speedfan.
Let me know,thanks

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Hello jds63

I was being diplomatic when I asked for a link to your card as the previous information that you provided in your OP and reply #3 told us that your video card was a GTX 560Ti;

I have a EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti with 2GB of DDR5 RAM with latest drivers
It is a Corsair CX500 V2 PSU and GeForce GTX 560 ti SSC

All good now though as a CX500 that is functioning correctly is more than adequate :thumbsup:

Speedfan readings can be off sometimes and this is often caused by a conflict between the MBs or another 3rd party monitoring software, as I previously mentioned that we may need to do can you run HWMonitor and post a screenshot so that we have a comparison to Speedfan, this will hopefully also provide the output on the +3.3V and +5V rails etc

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
Hey Phill,
Well i just wanted to prove to you that it did not have two power connectors,after you questioned it and was conflicted by it again on #4 post also.

HWMonitor stats for you hope it is useful to find out more,thanks again.Yes i have ASUS Suite II as monitoring software,for voltage,temps and fan speeds.I do not like Speedfan much,HWMonitor is O.K..

Attached Thumbnails

• HWMonitor.jpg

Edited by jds63, 16 November 2013 - 01:35 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Hello jds63

There is no +5V or +12V readings showing in HWMonitor so can you check them in the BIOS for us, no screenshot is required I only ask that you compare your readings to those in the attachment below and let us know if they are ok.

NB: BIOS voltage readings.
The readings are not conclusive in the BIOS as the computer is under the least amount of load, if they are higher or lower than what they should be though it does suggest a PSU problem.

Try using ASUS GPU Tweak to manually configure the add on video cards fan, I am in no way suggesting that you overclock any hardware only suggesting a way that you may control the cooling fan/s yourself.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
Hi Phill,
O.k. here are the readings from my PC BIOS i gave you all voltage readings i saw in case.

CPU - 1.170v
3.3v - 3.328v
5v - 5.080v
12v - 12.288v

From your chart is seems to be not below and not above what it should be.

As said before i have ASUS Suite II which only monitors voltage,temps and fan speeds for CPU not GPU i think would only be for integrated graphics which i do not use as you see.
ASUS Suite shows similar to same readings as the BIOS for voltage but it changes at times,but still in between readings your chart shows in post #8.

I am not sure about using this ASUS GPU Tweak program to adjust fan speeds thinking may cause graphics card to overheat,not really solving the why it does it,but knows it's an option for me.

What i can not understand is why only this Batman Arkham Origins game is doing this,not any others i have used.Doing research on this game i find no answers for this game on others having same issue as me,just some who have experienced fast fan speeds from other games,which again were told to do what you feel i should with fan controlling.

I saw the requirements for this game and my card was listed and my PC met the requirements this is baffling too.I feel the game has very intense graphics and i had tried adjusting settings within the game to improve performance,but had no effect on fan speed.
Well not sure what else to think,you take a look at what i sent you tell me more,thanks for help so far,appreciated.

Edited by jds63, 17 November 2013 - 02:25 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Hello jds63

The readings are fine but as I have mentioned keep in mind that the PC is not under load, I do feel though that the PSU is not an issue here.

Can you provide your Ram details please, amount and speed, post a link if you can.

The idea behind using software to control your fan/s is so that you can set them at a constant speed that keeps the card cool but does not make too much noise, MSI Afterburner is a program that is commonly used by people for such purpose and regardless of the fact that they use it with none MSI hardware such as ASUS and Gigabyte add on video cards.

Advertisements

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
Hi Phill,
Yes i hope not for PSU it is not that old,maybe 4 months or so.

Link to RAM Corsair

Even if i use this software to control fan speeds then i need to also have one to monitor graphic card temps in case also.

After you see specs on RAM please give your ideas on why only this game if you know,ty Phill.
I know you remember me as Mr. Determined :cool:

Came across this software i remember it when i bought this card what do you think EVGA
This is the brand of my graphics card EVGA

Found 2 more programs from EVGA worth a look
My link1
My link2

Edited by jds63, 17 November 2013 - 04:11 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
I can see no reason whatsoever as to why the fan speed increases when you load this particular game, your specs are over and above what is required so it is not down to a lack of system resources, see Here

Once the game is loaded does the fan speed stabilize.

TheSUPERNOVA software looks like it will do nicely :thumbsup:

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
Hey Phill,
Thanks for getting back to me.
Yes it is a mystery to me also,why i came here to post this issue.

I did do alot research on this issue and this game,saw site you gave me a link to also.

The fan speed doesn't increase till i start playing the game,but never seems to stop during game play.

I have used Batman before this Arkham City,with same computer and did not do this at all.

Either something else in my system or intense graphics in the game.
Maybe some settings need to be adjusted in NVIDIA driver software and game options.
I did try to shut off certain settings in game options graphics,but no change.

I am determined,but if i can't seem to figure it out,give it to my nephew :wacko:

I will also try the EVGA software they had a few i listed to you,you feel Supernovas the best.

Thanks

Edited by jds63, 19 November 2013 - 06:49 PM.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
Phill,
Looks like requirements for EVGA Supernova requires there PSU Supernova

Be better off using this one PrecisionX

and this if i want ScannerOC but more when you overclock

Downloaded and installed Precision X, but what is this RivaTuner Statistics Server do not really understand what it is why i need it,but it seems required when installing Precision X?
Not a way to get id of it i think,when using other software.Also if i do not want to change fan speed or overclock,just check temps this might be o.k.
My link

Edited by jds63, 20 November 2013 - 05:15 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Hello jds63

Sorry I never noticed that you needed a specific PSU for SuperNova :(

Downloaded and installed Precision X, but what is this RivaTuner Statistics Server do not really understand what it is why i need it,but it seems required when installing Precision X?

I found the following information on the Evga forum;

Precision X will load RTSS if you have Framerate monitoring checked in Precision.
If you don't want RTSS to load, simply uncheck monitoring in Precision.

GPU-Z and CPU-Z are two very good monitoring software programs :thumbsup: