Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Graphics card fan speeds

• Please log in to reply

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
O.K. thanks Phill,if i keep Precision X is this RTSS a safe program? Does it access through my network unaware.?
I see it's made from Guru3D partnered with EVGA i believe i need RTSS to use Precision X it installs along with it,not that i need to use it when using other.

I just have to familiarize myself with RTSS i see some of the uses for it,always skeptical of a program not familiar with reasons why it's installed along with the other,since i had this PrecisionX before
never had RTSS with it.

Well i'll see if i keep using it or i will use GPU-Z matters to my uses to have PrecisionX i am not overclocking my card,but it is a nice program and able to adjust fan speeds and between both RTSS and this has a OSD for in game watch the temps and fan speeds.

As far as why this certain game is stressing the fan,only reason i see is that it is making the card warmer then other games so fan running faster to keep it cooler,my conclusion i think.

If you have any other input you can think of we have checked all other aspects of my system.
Thanks again for replies.:thumbsup:

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
You are welcome jds63 :thumbsup:

WOT rating for guru3d/rivatuner

See how the card behaves when you run Unigine free version :)

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
Looks like my card got new drivers,wonder if this will make a difference or help,CHECK IT OUT ! EVGA

O.K. looks like they are a reputable site.

I decided i will keep EVGA Precision X because it offers more options then others.

I will try this Unigine looks cool from scenery let's see how my card performs without SCREAMING!

Thanks!

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
Well...........i ran Unigine tried different settings,temps got pretty high highest was 97c and fan was at times close to 100% on PrecisionX.
Sometimes fan speeds went up and down,was due to changes in scenery,frame rates.

I am posting a benchmark for you to see not sure how my score rates,realized on this test i windowed it,try again not sure it mattered

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled2.jpg

Edited by jds63, 21 November 2013 - 03:12 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Results don`t look too bad, did the GPU fan at any time behave as it does with the new Batman game, I came across an article that you may like to look at Here, it is the 650TI boost version run with the predecessor to Valley

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
Well this is not the boost version of EVGA Card mine is EVGA GeForce GTX 650 ti SSC ,then there is a 650 ti boost card,higher up then mine,this came out after mine did.

Oh yes fan behaved same as in Batman Arkham Origins was going fast as it went on in scenery as it goes for 18 scenery in benchmark,told you got up to around 97c at times.

Here is another test in ExtremeHD Antialasing x8 is on in this one

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled3.jpg

Edited by jds63, 21 November 2013 - 03:34 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Yes I did emphasise the fact that it was the boost version and the info was only for an idea of the FPS that the card produced in the Unigine testing program.

The Unigine software is intended to push the GPU and by the cards fan kicking in when it is required it is doing it`s job - the same as in the Batman game.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
O.K. so all in all this Batman Arkham Origins pushes the graphics card more then any other game in past.
So all that play this game should experience this,unless there system is more of a gaming system and has better cooling for there graphics.

We can say this is normal then what the graphics card is doing as it did in Valley Benchmark.As in Valley Benchmark because it stresses or pushes the card,is why the fan will run faster to cool it off.

As my assumption before has to be more intense graphics in this game to make the card react this way compared to other games in past,games are getting more higher and better graphics as they go on.
Batman does look good in graphics i can see why.

All i was concerned about is was this normal for my graphics card to be doing this in this game,can i burn out the fan eventually playing it,is the fan maybe sufficient enough,if i keep playing it or do i need more cooling for it.

Thanks Phill

Edited by jds63, 22 November 2013 - 11:49 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
You are doing things 100% correct by checking that the fan behavior is normal, use a program to monitor your temps and voltages etc and keep a check for any unusual fan noises and you will not go far wrong :thumbsup:

You are welcome BTW jds63 :)

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
O.K. Phill this post started out with concern why Batman game was stressing the graphics card like a burn in program same as Vally Benchmark,it had to mean the difference in graphics in this game compared to any i had used in the past.
We seemed to check all other possibilities if it was something else in my system.

Hopefully if i continue to use this game it does not burn out my fan on the card,even though i am monitoring it.I hope i can enjoy playing the game without constantly concentrating on temps,fan speed and voltage.

Thanks for help.

Edited by jds63, 23 November 2013 - 12:56 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
You have two Noctua cooling fans (one 90mm and one 80mm) which should help the GPU cooling fan keep the card cooler, how much cooler will depend on where in the case the fans are located, please see my canned text below;

For the most effective cooling in addition to the CPU and GPU cooling fans where possible you should have an induction fan at the front of the case to draw in cool and clean air + an exhaust fan at the rear of the case to expel the warm/hot air from inside the case and away from your hardware.

Good internal cable management is also important as this also allows the air to be circulated more efficiently.

As long as the GPU fan does not make any odd noises and you get no BSOD caused by thermal shutdowns then I would only occasionally check the temps when you are gaming, this I would do under normal circumstances in any event.

You are welcome jds63 :thumbsup:

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
Well Phill i have that exact setup.My case is a mini tower though,but i have the Noctua 80mm fan in the front,only size it fits there bringing in clean air and a 92mm rear fan exhausting hot air out.

In another post which you did not handle i recently put a Arctic Freezer 13 cooler heatsink in,the fan on heatsink is blowing heat through the fins and out towards the back of case,then Noctua 92mm is taking it out.
Best way for this large heatsink to be was the fan facing the RAM,blowing out to the back.If faced another way i did not want the hot air blowing on graphics card and in reverse it would be blowing on PSU ,even though the PSU would exhaust it out.Felt best it's working the best this way.

Also the PSU which is located on top towards the back of case is taking air out of the back of the case.
Cable management is good inside case,kept it clear of all fans and other hardware to give better room for circulation in the case.

O.K. Phill thanks again for all the help i will keep an eye on temps and voltage only when needed from your advice.

Truthfully why do you think only this game was causing high fan speeds for me? Game Graphics?<I may have answered my own question on it in past posts

Edited by jds63, 24 November 2013 - 05:04 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Good cooling arrangement jds63 :thumbsup:

I can only surmise that there is an immediate demand placed on the video card and that is why the fan kicks in.

Monitoring your temps and voltages will most likely become second nature to you over time.

You are welcome BTW jds63 :)

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
Thank you Phill, i surmise that demand is called Batman ;)
I have learned alot from asking.Hopefully this post may help others here.

Thanks again.This post is resolved.:thumbsup:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Thanks for the follow up jds63 :thumbsup: