Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Upgrading to SSD... Have a few questions

• Please log in to reply

Ech0es

Ech0es

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
In a month or so I'll be purchasing my first SSD and wanted to ask a few questions. I know SSD's have a write limit, so I was wondering would it be ok to install Windows 7 plus all my programs to my SSD? Programs such as Firefox, iTunes, Sony Vegas, Photoshop, and all games? I don't want the SSD to die out in a year or so. I would be storing all the big stuff on my HDD (photos, documents, videos, movie files, etc).

Also, another question, would running programs like CCleaner be ok on a SSD? I use CCleaner every day on my HDD (at least twice or so a day, kind of OCD like that), so I was curious would that be ok on a SSD? My friend has an SSD and uses CCleaner and his is running ok, but I would like some second opinions on it.

And lastly, could anyone suggest a quality SSD? I've looked around and would like some suggestions from people, still exploring options. I'm looking for around 250GB drive, that should suit my needs. And not looking to spend more than $260 or so.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Hey mate,

Exactly what you have said is fine. OS and programs on the SSD, datafiles on the HDD.

Also, why do you run CCleaner every day? There's no need.

Over the years I've found Intel and Samsung SSDs to be highly reliable.

Cheers

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,758 posts
Gday.
Much care is needed if using CCleaner, it can break a system when "cleaning the registry" if it removers/alters Reg keys shared/used by another program.You must not defrag a SSD.
+1 for Samsung. about the best for the money at the moment is the Samsung EVO line, great Pro site reviews and also comes with software to optimize for use with a HDD as DATA storage.

Ech0es

Ech0es

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
Thanks for the replies. I know programs such as Firefox writes files when in use, and then using CCleaner will delete some files (as I have it set to delete such things as cache, cookies, history, etc). Even with that, the SSD would be good for awhile? I know there is no need to run CCleaner every day, but like I said I am OCD with keeping things clean and neat. I also use CCleaner to clean the registry but only once in awhile and I pay attention to what items are being removed. Mainly whenever I uninstall a program.

Also had another question... I'm confused about AHCI and Raid, how should it be set for maximum performance? Can someone clear up what they mean?

And lastly, this looks like a great SSD and good price, what do you guys think?
http://www.newegg.co...=9SIA2W00YW3571

Thanks.

Edited by Ech0es, 14 November 2013 - 01:18 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,758 posts
Gday.
First, the SSD link, yes, that is exactly what I would buy.

Also had another question... I'm confused about AHCI and Raid, how should it be set for maximum performance? Can someone clear up what they mean?

For your build, with a single OS drive and separate DATA drive, you will not need any kind of RAID setup, > http://rog.asus.com/...aid-setup-guide
For your build you will need to use AHCI mode, (set by default on most recent MBs) You should not need to do anything special, (except, see below) but please do read your installation manuals thoroughly, just in case. > http://nvidia.custhe...etail/a_id/2435
If you are going to do a clean install of windows to the SSD, I recommend to disconnect the original HDD, then install windows, then the MB drivers and utilities, then update drivers, then update windows.
If migrating from the HDD to the SSD, you need to look for updates to the Magician software and user guide.

Ech0es

Ech0es

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
Thanks for the reply. I will be doing a fresh install of Windows (but using a system image I created awhile ago). So I should disconnect my HDD first, connect my SSD, install Windows, make sure all is up to date, then hook up the HDD again? I'll do that, but is there a reason why?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,758 posts

I will be doing a fresh install of Windows (but using a system image I created awhile ago)

Not a good idea as this may cause problems. a couple of many reasons, partitions size and tables will not match, Trim would not be enabled in the bios, you would be installing everything, including saved Data.
Start fresh, wait until you read the user manual or how to on the CD, then decide on the type of installation.

So I should disconnect my HDD first, connect my SSD, install Windows, make sure all is up to date, then hook up the HDD again? I'll do that,
yes. Then after connecting the HDD, enter the BIOS and make sure the SSD is the first boot disk.
but is there a reason why?
Widows installer sometimes detects the MBR on the HDD, so does not write one to the new install, or overwrites the old one on the HDD, same result when you boot the SSD, no MBR is detected, windows fails to boot.

Ech0es

Ech0es

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
Alright, I can do a fresh install of Windows. Plus I'll be sure the HDD is disconnected. So once Windows is fully set up on the SSD, it would be ok to make a new system image for future use, right?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,758 posts

So once Windows is fully set up on the SSD, it would be ok to make a new system image for future use, right?

yes, and a recovery CD, NB. That will be your back to basic image, reason, once you install the HDD, and move folders like, My Docs, media, programs, download folder, you have created links from the SSD to the HDD, if you use the original image after that setup, there will be no links to your DATA on he HDD.
Once you have both drives setup, Create a manual image.
> http://windows.micro...tings-and-files

Ech0es

Ech0es

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
Alright, I got it... Thank you for all your help! Much appreciated.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,758 posts
Posted ImageYour welcome, any problems, "just Whistle"