Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MSI or Alienware

• Please log in to reply

Quiqzal

Quiqzal

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
Hello everyone

I know I know the bonuses of Desktops just to begin with but we are not always near one. So that being said lol.

We have seen Alienware, MSI, ASUS and many more laptops out there. We are looking to spend around 3k ea and being able to play games is a must (EQ2, Diablo 3, SIMS3, SIMS4 (to come) WoW, and many others.

So any others out there that I am not aware of..? Some recommendations? Please no dont buy a laptop for gaming remarks lol those will be built after we get out laptops since we are on the move often.

Thank you all in advance and have a great evening, afternoon or morning :-)

Quiqzal

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Have you considered configuring your own list of preferred hardware and then having a professional company assemble them for you, an example of such a site that allows you to tweak existing notebooksHere

Irunside

Irunside

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I happened across your post just checking things in this forum out joined today so far I really like the site and forum. The above advice is good and I am only going to add to it. A few months back a friend of mine asked me similar question since for years I always had laptops built for work and they knew this. The site I used most recently and had an excellent experience with was cyberpower pc builders They seemed to offer a huge potential for custom features and tuning based on needs and prices were at least competitive. I am in the process now of try to decide wether to build my own or have them assemble a desktop gaming rig for me so I had a link handy here it is and I hope it helps you find what it is your looking for.

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com

Have a good one hope it all works out for you.

Quiqzal

Quiqzal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Thank you for your advice(s) We are going to take a look.

Ohh by the way off the top of your heads do you know if the laptops purchased from either of the sites can be upgraded or offer a buyback program?

"Have you considered configuring your own list of preferred hardware and then having a professional company assemble them for you, an example of such a site that allows you to tweak existing notebooksHere "

The above one is like a one stop shop of gaming laptops I take it>

Edited by Quiqzal, 20 October 2013 - 09:14 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Thank you for your advice(s) We are going to take a look.

You are welcome :thumbsup:

Ohh by the way off the top of your heads do you know if the laptops purchased from either of the sites can be upgraded or offer a buyback program?

Upgrade yes but I do no know about a buyback program, upgrade information

"Have you considered configuring your own list of preferred hardware and then having a professional company assemble them for you, an example of such a site that allows you to tweak existing notebooksHere "

The above one is like a one stop shop of gaming laptops I take it>

Perhaps Irunside can answer this question for you where cyberpower are concerned.

Quiqzal

Quiqzal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Never thought having a nice strong budget would make it harder to buy a laptop when I have pennies to buy my first one with LOL.

HAPPY HALLOWEEN

Quiqzal

Quiqzal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Ok now I am down to two laptops or companies I am going to get my gaming laptop from (I Know I Know PC PC I have PC need travel)

My partner holds a strong interest in Alienware even after so many things I have heard here and repeated. She likes the increased yrs of warranty and especially the accident warranty you can purchase. Also, she likes the ability to trade in.

I have been looking through many opinions give to me for a plethera of ideas and companies out there and think that in the now MSI looks very good and I can get almost double over Alienware for a 3300 Alienware I can get everything increased on the MSI for around 2700.

So for all you out there Alienware
or
MSI

Below are their seperate specs.

Alienware worked this up based on wanting two laptops budget 7k unsure why she did two different ones in quote. But they have been eager to get back to us while MSI has been like doped up hippies when I called.

Alienware 18
Quantity: 1
Item Number
Item Description
210-AAOW
Alienware 18
370-AANN
16GB Dual Channel DDR3L at 1600MHz
580-ABEK
English Keyboard
490-BBHU
Dual NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 770M with 3GB GDDR5 - NVIDIA SLI® Enabled
555-BBJN
5G WiFi Broadcom 4352 802.11n/ac and Bluetooth 4.0 driver
400-ACMZ
750GB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s + 80GB mSATA SSD Caching
619-ACMQ
Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-bit, English
429-AAFS
Slot-Loading Dual Layer Blu-ray Reader (BD-ROM, DVDRW, CD-RW)
555-BBES
Broadcom 4352 802.11 ac 2x2 and Bluetooth 4.0
470-AAKG
US 125V Power Cord
340-ABEU
Documentation, English
421-1723
1 Year Alienware Enhanced Support
640-BBLG
Alienware Command Center 3.0
658-BBOI
Resource DVD
340-ADGB
Setup Instructions English
332-1530
Dell.com Order
451-BBCB
8-cell Lithium Ion (86 wHr)
338-BCIB
Overclocked Intel® Core™ i7-4900MQ processor (8MB Cache, up to 4.0GHz w/ Intel® Turbo Boost)
332-1530
Dell.com Order
320-BBDZ
Silver-Anodized Aluminum
328-BBEK
Shipping Material
730-7278
Viking1405_1031/BTO
340-ACQQ
No Optical Software required
389-BCCZ
Windows 7 OS Label
391-BBDS
18.4" WLED FHD (1920 X 1080) TrueLife Display
630-AAAU
Microsoft® Office Trial
658-BBOZ
Additional Software
817-BBBP
No Anti-virus Requested
450-AAKK
330W A/C Adapter
340-ACQQ
Windows 7 Recovery Disk included
Design Studio Selection
Alienware 17
Quantity: 1
Item Number
Item Description
210-AAPS

Alienware 17
370-AANN
16GB Dual Channel DDR3L at 1600MHz
580-ABEG
English Keyboard
490-BBGS
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 770M with 3GB GDDR5
555-BBJN
5G WiFi Broadcom 4352 802.11n/ac and Bluetooth 4.0 driver
400-ACNC
750GB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s + 80GB mSATA SSD Caching
619-ACMQ
Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-bit, English
429-AAFS
Slot-Loading Dual Layer Blu-ray Reader (BD-ROM, DVDRW, CD-RW)
555-BBES
Broadcom 4352 802.11 ac 2x2 and Bluetooth 4.0
470-AAKE
US 110V Power Cord
340-ABEU
Documentation, English
421-1723
1 Year Alienware Basic Support
640-BBLC
Alienware Command Center 3.0
658-BBNS
Resource DVD
340-ADEV
Setup Instructions English
332-1530
Dell.com Order
451-BBCB
8-cell Lithium Ion (86 wHr)
338-BCHV
4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-4800MQ processor (6MB Cache, up to 3.7GHz)
332-1530
Dell.com Order
354-BBBB
Silver-Anodized Aluminum
340-ADEL
Shipping Material, Non 3D
730-7229
Ranger1405_1021/BTO
430-XYGR
Power DVD 9.6 BD, 3D,V2
389-BCCZ
Windows 7 OS Label
391-BBEM
17.3" WLED FHD (1920 x 1080) Anti-Glare Display
630-AAAU
Microsoft® Office Trial
658-BBOZ
Additional Software
817-BBBP
No Anti-virus Requested
450-AAGU
Alienware 180W AC Adapter
340-ACQQ
Windows 7 Recovery Disk included
Design Studio Selection

Subtotal: $5,633.04
Shipping & Handling: $0.00
Tax: $464.75
Total Price w/Discounts: $6,097.79

MSI Link just there base model which I also put the higher end.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16834152395

http://www.newegg.co...=9SIA25V0U22349

Our biggest hesitation well one of the table between us is MSI using Windows 8.1 while Alienware offers Windows 7.

Welcome all opinions even those I have chatted with before. Going to jump the broom this weekend for two of these

Thank you all in advance.

I have never felt the definition of a girl not being able to make up her mind until now....but have to say I guess it comes with being a Libra too.LOL

joveian

joveian

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have owned an Alienware m17x R4 and have just ordered a new 17. I love them and would not use anything else. I would upgrade the video card on the 17 in your order to the gtx 780. The 18 is crazy though. Dual video cards and everything. People will talk down on it by comparing it to the next laptop to come out. But the guys who created that laptop were benchmarking the Alienware. The best. Really those people just do not like flashy lights. Makes it too difficult to hide in a closet. Its a personal choice. Get what you like. Either choice will run anything you throw at them.