Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

2-3 min wait on windows splash logo on boot in Windows 7

• Please log in to reply

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
How does the machine respond while in the clean boot?

Advertisements

kingtaz

kingtaz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
I'll try it when I get home later on and let you know how it goes. Should i take a note of which non-microsoft services i disable if i need to re-enable them?

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
At this point they are all enabled so disable all no need to note anything.

You will need to re-enable them one at a time and reboot the machine to find the offending service if that is indeed the issue.

kingtaz

kingtaz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
Ah okay then thats makes sense. I'll let you know how i get on

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
:thumbsup:

kingtaz

kingtaz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
very little differnce when doing clean boot. stayed on splash logo for 2:08 so a 7 second decrease.

In startup i only had 2 items to disable and in non-microsoft services i had only 3 to disable

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
Open an elevated command prompt and type:

chkdsk /r

Hit enter and reply y when prompted then reboot your machine.

A checkdisk will execute allow completion and inform us of the boot time after the check disk. :thumbsup:

kingtaz

kingtaz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
Hey

I ran chkdsk and the first time it said 'disk is clean' or something along those lines upon restart and then it was slightly quicker than before but again, nothing special. I ran chkdsk overnight as that time it actually checked stuff but i couldnt see just how long it took to reboot but I did run it this morning agan and cancel it, and the boot time after pressing cancel was 2:30 if that is any indication

kingtaz

kingtaz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
anything else i can do?

hairyeyes

hairyeyes

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Sorry to but in guys, I have noticed you have got µTorrent (Version: 3.3.2.30260) installed. If you use this to download dodgy software, films, games ect then there is a chance you have downloaded something dubious, you might want to run your Avasts boot time scan and post a log in the malware section as per there requirements, that's if I'm correct in assuming the computer has not always run like this?

Advertisements

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
Might be worth having your machine checked for malware before we proceed.
Once given a clean bill of health please come back to this thread and I will be happy to assist further.

kingtaz

kingtaz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
Okay thanks. sorry for late reply, no internet at home so just getting round to this now. i'll post in the malware section, and post back here if i get a clean bill of health.

Thanks