Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Disk Boot Failure (Clean Win7 install attempt)

• Please log in to reply

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Sorry to have caused you some upset, I may have misinturprated you post,

It's a product code I got on a dell dvd that I purchased.

Thought you had already installed it on a laptop and activated.
If this is not the case, I will look to see if there is an issue with a language change.

Advertisements

johonn

johonn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
Oh, no. I bought it with the intention of installing it on my desktop. I am pretty sure that you can't change the language on windows 7 pro, only on ultimate, which is bad design in my book but whatever. Let me know if you find out differently though. No worries for the false alarm, I'd just be happy to be able to use this product key.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

...Well that sucks.

I know this isn't your problem, but... why in the world is someone selling this stupid disk if I can't use it? and how am I supposed to get a legit copy of windows 7? I don't want windows 8, nor do I have the money for it even if I did want it...

I'm not surprised if the guy didn't know how the activation works or simple decide not to mention that.

The DVD and key can be used only on a Dell machine if the computer had Windows 7 originally installed.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
SleepyDude

The DVD and key can be used only on a Dell machine if the computer had Windows 7 originally installed.

I think you misunderstood. The disc and key are brand new, never been used, so they can be installed on another machine,

johonn
You are right, you can't change the language on Pro.

"There is no real 'system language' in Windows 7. Starting with Windows Vista, all of the code binaries that make up the operating system are Language-neutral.

Before distribution a Base (Primary) Language is applied using a MUI Language Pack. This base language defines the language for that version of Windows 7.

Any programs or applications that are installed must be available in the base language or they cannot be translated.

Windows 7 is distributed in 35 base languages. To change the base language you can only use another MUI language pack which will only work on the Ultimate or Enterprise version.

You can apply a freely available LIP (Language Interface Pack) to any edition of Windows 7, as long as the proper base language is installed. A LIP applies a partial translation of the components of Windows 7.

Sources:

Language Packs in Windows 7

http://msdn.microsof...l/ee461121.aspx

Download Languages for Windows 7 MUI and LIP.

http://windows.micro...loads/languages"

given the above and as you disc is "Localized" you can apply a LIP, would not be for me, I bet there would be all sorts of problems if you had to repair or reinstall.

Using an English ISO may work. lots of success using German, French, keys and some failures, lots of failures using Korean, Arabic and Chinese. So I would give it a go using the links in Post #12. I can't see that you are doing anything e legal as you have paid for the licence.

What do you think.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

SleepyDude

I think you misunderstood. The disc and key are brand new, never been used, so they can be installed on another machine,

No I don't. It's a OEM DVD from Dell the key and the disk will only successfully activate on a Dell machine with a SLIC 2.1 table on the BIOS it doesn't care how many times you install.

johonn
You are right, you can't change the language on Pro.

"There is no real 'system language' in Windows 7. Starting with Windows Vista, all of the code binaries that make up the operating system are Language-neutral.

Before distribution a Base (Primary) Language is applied using a MUI Language Pack. This base language defines the language for that version of Windows 7.

Any programs or applications that are installed must be available in the base language or they cannot be translated.

Windows 7 is distributed in 35 base languages. To change the base language you can only use another MUI language pack which will only work on the Ultimate or Enterprise version.

You can apply a freely available LIP (Language Interface Pack) to any edition of Windows 7, as long as the proper base language is installed. A LIP applies a partial translation of the components of Windows 7.

I can tell you that there are also Localized versions specific for certain languages like in my case Portuguese, this version doesn't accept to change the language using MUI packs as you can see on this page in most cases the base need to be en-US also this option isn't available for all the Windows 7 Editions.

In Portugal some manufacturers provide the machines with Windows 7 not localized, the system is en-US but the interface is in Portuguese by using a Language pack only in this cases the language can be simply changed.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday SleepyDude.
Thank you for pointing out it is a Dell CD and the correction, I was wrong.
So it looks like the disc is completely useless except to sell it to a Spanish speaking person with a Dell Laptop, not so supervised that people use illegal software.

johonn

johonn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
Ok I've ordered a new cd from Discountmountainsoftware.com because they had the best deal and had reviews from BBB and such. Hopefully it's legit. Now, I can still install Windows from the link you gave me in post #12 while I'm waiting for my product code in the mail, right?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.

can still install Windows from the link you gave me in post #12 while I'm waiting for my product code in the mail, right?

From my understanding, yes, but you should activate with the product key within the 30 day period.
Double check you are downloading the correct version to match the key code.
I always think it safest, where ther is more than one HDD installed, is to disconnect all except the drive you are installing the OS on.

Please let us know how you get on.

johonn

johonn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
Thanks. I got the correct version downloaded, and I have my data drive fully backed up so no worries there.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Should have said that one of the reasons for disconnecting other drives is that windows installer can see a second drive and sometimes places things like the MBR at the beginning of the second drive, stuffing up the install.

Advertisements

johonn

johonn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
Hmm ok, good to know, I'll go ahead and disconnect the drive. Thanks.

I'll probably work on this tomorrow, it's a bit late here for me. I'll keep you posted.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
OK, Posted Image

johonn

johonn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
Ok... I seriously don't know what is causing this problem.
I pulled out my DVD burner from my desktop and connected it up to my laptop so I could burn the windows image onto a dvd because that seems to work if I actually have a good image, and I figured I'd try that before the thumb drive. So I got that burned and popped the drive back into the desktop, and windows started installing, but it's now hung at Completing Installation - again! I guess I'll try the thumb drive next, but I really think there's some other weird problem going on here that I can't for the life of me figure out.

Edit: Same result with the thumb drive.

Edit #2: Do you think my hard drive is bad? Is there a way to test it?

Edited by johonn, 19 November 2013 - 02:24 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
Does seem strange. You can test the HDD with the manufacturers tools. Burn a DOS USB, test HDD in the desktop.
You can find tools here, > http://pcsupport.abo...p/tophddiag.htm

I don't know why, but, as windows is failing to install, try a free OS.
This is from Post $12, Similar install problems, Topic, > http://www.geekstogo...63#entry2350763

using Puppy Linux Live, (or you may prefer something different) 1 copy on a CD, the other on USB. Try install from USB first, if OK. Change order of boot to Optical Drive.Use the first steps on the Window install disc to format the SSD. Try installing Puppy from the CD.Instructions on Post #28. Bit long I'm afraid as meant for anyone to follow.> http://www.geekstogo...hd/page__st__15

johonn

johonn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
Thanks for the tips. I'll hopefully have a chance to try that tomorrow.