Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows 8 auto repair black screen

• Please log in to reply

catsas73

catsas73

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I don't remember anything specific happening before this issue may have been an update not really sure???? When I would start up my computer it would say prepairing for auto repair sometimes progressing to starting auto repair sometime not but always going to a black screen and never going any further. The screen just remains black no matter how long it is left. Now it is just going straight to black screen on start up and doing nothing. On the rare occaision only twice so far After turning off and restarting over and over and over get in to a blue screen with options and no matter which option I choose it asks for my administrator password but it won't accept what I know it is and I can not do anything but restart or go to windows anyway which just puts me back to a black screen. It has been 2 days. I downloaded the windows 8 update about a yr ago online and have had all kinds of quirks and issues since i do not have a disk or backup of any kind I don't understand any of the technical stuff I've been wading through. Has my hard drive just crashed am I screwed?

Edited by catsas73, 15 November 2013 - 06:23 PM.

Advertisements

catsas73

catsas73

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
OK so after two days and finally sitting down to ask my computer randomly decides to start up it was preceded by an update of some sort. Soooo What the...?? What happened will it happen again what do I do to prevent it???? Pppppplease help.

catsas73

catsas73

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Omg I'm losing my mind! Scratch that last update after sitting at the start screen for a coupe min screen went black could not get to come back did restart and now I'm back to black screen start up. What is going on???

Edited by catsas73, 15 November 2013 - 06:36 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
:welcome: catsas73

Have you tried booting into Safe Mode by tapping the F8 key when you restart the computer.

Please provide information about your computer, this includes is it a notebook or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is a brand name provide the model name or series number (not serial) if a custom build post the brand and model name or number for the MB and if one is used the add on video card, providing these details will enable us to better assist you.

Tip

Please do not reply to your own OP or last reply as it may lead to your request for help being overlooked, staff and members who assist on the forums will always check out a topic that has not received any replies to see if they are able to help, if you reply to your own OP it will appear to others viewing the board that you have received a reply and so are already being helped.
If you have something to add while waiting for a reply use the edit tab – bottom right of the dialogue input box and this will ensure that no information that you provide is overlooked (this can happen if your topic has more than one page) thank you for understanding.

catsas73

catsas73

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
It is a gateway NV50A laptop. It has not been modified in any way other than to download windows 8 about a yr ago and in ever had problems until I did that.

I did get it back up and running but the screen still randomly goes black and then I can't get it back unless I keep turning it off and on until it just decides to start up.

Sometimes the screen will start to come up then go black sometimes not it just stays black. I have tried f8 f2 I've tried it all nothing works. I am currently in a black out phase and cannot get it to start up

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
When the screen is black is there still power LEDs such as the HDD activity light and power button etc still lit up.
If there is still power LEDs lit up when the screen is black, have you tried connecting the notebook to an external screen by way of the VGA port, you may need to toggle between displays by pressing the Fn and F4 keys down at the same time.
Does anything happen when you press the Fn and the F5 keys down at the same time.
Have you tried using battery power only and vice versa removing the battery and using only the AC adapter, if so what was the outcome in both instances please.
Can the cooling fan be heard working at any time.