Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

bit of a problem

• Please log in to reply

vistasucks

vistasucks

• PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
not me, this time, but my daughter :rolleyes:

she has an hp pc with vista and has forgotten her user password so cant log in...the microsoft site says that we need to re install windows..my question is :-
can i access anything using the f10 ( i think ) button....if not, will the vista discs i made from my acer laptop work or is there a way that anyone knows of to get into it

huge thanks once again for your time

regards
nge

Advertisements

Naathim

Naathim

GeekU Minion

• Expert
  • 4,568 posts
Hi,

In this case we can't help you.
Due to the nature of online help we are not able to verify ownership, and will not be able to help bypass or recover any user passwords, cd keys, license codes, serial numbers, etc.

Our TOU are very strict about it.

Sorry.

Cheers,
Naat

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

will the vista discs i made from my Acer laptop work

Simple answer is no because the drivers for your Acer will not work on the HP.
Other then that you would have to do a factory restore on the system which would format the drive losing all data presently on the system. Microsoft is right that is the only way and as Naathim stated we can't help bypass any security on the system.

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
i totally understand guys...i will try the f10 button and see if i can do a factory restore from there, i'll let you know how i get on if youre interested.....i do like a challenge and i dont suppose i can do too much damage :lol: :thumbsup:

thanks for the timely reply

regards
nige

Naathim

Naathim

GeekU Minion

• Expert
  • 4,568 posts
Post the results, we are always happy to know.

Sorry once again.

Cheers,
Naat

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
If you use f10 then you will most likely loose all documents pics etc.
The 1st thing to do is to make a bootable Linux cd or thumb drive and recover all needed data by copying to an external hard drive or thumb drive.
The 1st step is to always try and remove personal files. I think Ubuntu is more like a windows look so is eaiser for a novice to use
Click on me
Cheers
Peterm

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
hi guys, just to let you know the problem is solved....we discovered the password and have now disabled it :thumbsup:
just need to go through it now and clean it up, theres so much junk on it i'm surprised it works :rolleyes:

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is it data only or system files also?

Might want to start with this.

Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

Background info courtesy of DonnaB Thank you

As for TFC, this is a tidbit of an article I found a while back by a MicroSoft MVP.

TFC (Temp File Cleaner) will clear out all temp folders for all user accounts (temp, IE temp, java, FF, Opera, Chrome, Safari), including Administrator, All Users, LocalService, NetworkService, and any other accounts in the user folder. It also cleans out the %systemroot%\temp folder and checks for .tmp files in the %systemdrive% root folder, %systemroot%, and the system32 folder (both 32bit and 64bit on 64bit OSs). It shows the amount removed for each location found (in bytes) and the total removed (in MB).

Before running, it will stop Explorer and all other running applications. When finished, if a reboot is required the user must reboot to finish clearing any in-use temp files.
-- TFC only cleans temp folders.
-- TFC will not clean URL history, prefetch, or cookies. Depending on how often someone cleans their temp folders, their system hardware, and how many accounts are present, it can take anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or more. TFC will completely clear all temp files where other temp file cleaners may fail.