Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Needing help with ASUS Notepad!

• Please log in to reply

Windows7User

Windows7User

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello!,

I was given an ASUS laptop by a friend. It has the Windows 7 operating system. Unfortunately, as far as I have found, this notepad does not come with a factory restore feature. With the original owner being the administrator I am having difficulty running certain programs Ex: Spybot Search and Destroy. I deleted the user log in from the user section in the control panel. However, the files are user are still considered to be the administrator even though my name set up under the user section in the control panel carries an administrator title. My question would be how can I totally erase any memory of the original administrator so my notebook can be my own. Any help would be appreciated! Thank you!

Edited by Windows7User, 16 November 2013 - 07:58 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
:welcome: Windows7User

Have you tried continually tapping the F9 key when you restart the computer, this to check for a recovery partition.

Do you have the 25 digit Windows 7 product key, if you do and there is no recovery partition on the HDD we can provide information as to how you can download a Windows 7 ISO and burn it to disk or save it to a USB thumb drive that has a storage capacity of 4GB or more.

Windows7User

Windows7User

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
This notebook does not have a cd rom drive! :( And yes, I've tried the F( feature!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
As per my reply #2

Do you have the 25 digit Windows 7 product key, if you do and there is no recovery partition on the HDD we can provide information as to how you can download a Windows 7 ISO and burn it to disk or save it to a USB thumb drive that has a storage capacity of 4GB or more.

No recovery partition option or optical drive present so the best I can suggest is the Windows 7 ISO and USB thumbdrive option.

USB download tool

Windows 7 ISOs

Windows7User

Windows7User

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I recently lost my flash drives during a move. The only one Is have is a 325. But I will save your post to be able to save them for a later date. How long will this post stay available?

Windows7User

Windows7User

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I have another problem you can help me with if you don't mind. I don't know whats going on but as i'm trying to type, my typing is flying back into the middle of a sentence and starts typing in the middle of words that I've already typed, or deletes sentences all on its own, or page scrolls all on its own. I'm thinking its something keyboard related, but nothing has been spilled on it or anything. I'm the only user, so know no liquids have been on it. Its becoming quite the nuisance. Any ideas?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

I recently lost my flash drives during a move. The only one Is have is a 325. But I will save your post to be able to save them for a later date. How long will this post stay available?

No worries as tech topics are not normally closed, you can update this topic when you have the required 4GB flash drive :thumbsup:

I have another problem you can help me with if you don't mind. I don't know whats going on but as i'm trying to type, my typing is flying back into the middle of a sentence and starts typing in the middle of words that I've already typed, or deletes sentences all on its own, or page scrolls all on its own. I'm thinking its something keyboard related, but nothing has been spilled on it or anything. I'm the only user, so know no liquids have been on it. Its becoming quite the nuisance. Any ideas?

Have you tried an alternative keyboard, if the USB type keyboard has an alternative USB port been tried, if the keyboard uses batteries have you tried new batteries, if the keyboard is the wireless type are there any other wireless type devices nearby that could be causing interference.

As an asides Windows7User it is always best to start a new topic in order to resolve any separate issue/s but as your earlier topic is on hold it is unlikely that any confusion will occur between the two problems.

Windows7User

Windows7User

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
As per suggestion of a previous post, I checked into the touchpad. It appears that the F9 key isn't working to stop the touchpad. So I went to the control pad, mouse, ELAN tab and turned off the touch pad. Seems to have fixed the problem. As for the F9 key not working I found that I probably have to update drivers. Thank you all for your help!!!!!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
:thumbsup:

Windows7User

Windows7User

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
You wouldn't happen to know of anyway that my friend can boost her computers capability at connecting to her neighbors wifi would you? She pays half the bill and uses hers, but even still its a super weak connection and she doesn't want to have to ask her to do anything to her box cause her cost may go up. So, I was wondering if you knew anything! Thanks!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Catch 22 situation here I`m afraid as the requested information is readily available via Google but we cannot help you here as we have no way of knowing whether or not your friend has the neighbors permission to piggy back on her internet connection :unsure:

Please note that there is no inference of any wrongdoing being suggested it is just that it is such an ambiguous area that it is better to point a person in the right direction as opposed to possibly helping them doing something untoward, thank you for your understanding.

A better option may be to start a new topic Here and have their computer specs checked out to see if an upgrade or new independent internet connection device will help, posting a Speccy url for your friends computer will help move things along, seeHere

Windows7User

Windows7User

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Yeah, I thought about how you probably wouldn't be able to answer that due to not knowing us! Happy Thanksgiving!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Thank you for your understanding, enjoy your Thanksgiving Day :thumbsup: