Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Homeland Security Moneypack Ransomware Removal

• Please log in to reply

skullkrusher78

skullkrusher78

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Acer Aspire 5100-5022 Model BL51

Advertisements

Buddierdl

Buddierdl

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,524 posts
Please try running the HD tests as described here.

Please note that if the hard drive is close to failing, the tests may cause it to fail, so you should backup important data first.

skullkrusher78

skullkrusher78

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Ok, I will have to get with my friend to see what he wants to do. Just a thought, since this computer has an IDE hard drive & due to waning availability and need, they have become cost prohibitive to replace, would it be possible to run the computer with an external hard drive functioning as the C drive provided it was connected to a usb port?

Buddierdl

Buddierdl

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,524 posts
Did you run the HD test?

Buddierdl

Buddierdl

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,524 posts
Are you still with me?

skullkrusher78

skullkrusher78

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
My apologies Buddierdl, I did not mean to be out of contact for so long. I still haven't run the hard drive tests. I think I misread your warning about the hd failing during the tests as a probable outcome rather than a possible one. What are the odds that the hard drive will fail during the tests? The owner of the laptop hasn't provided me with any backup media so if it does fail, some my resources will be tied up with his data. My apologies again for being away for 3 weeks, I certainly appreciate all your help and patience.

Buddierdl

Buddierdl

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,524 posts
Let me get a second opinion from the tech staff about the hard drive.

To answer your question before, it is possible to boot from an external hard drive, but it would be terribly slow running over USB.

As far as getting a new IDE drive, what can you spend? I don't know where you live, but at my local Microcenter, they have a refurbished 160 GB IDE drive for $40 and an 80 GB for $18.