Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

New pc as Christmas gift( should I upgrade)

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello everyone.
My computer recently died on me and I was given a bundle deal from tigerdirect as an early Christmas present. The parts included are:
AMD A6-5400K 3.6GHz Radeon HD 7540D APU
2x Patriot Viper Xtreme 4GB DDR3
Kingwin CFBL-012LB 120mm LED Case
Ultra LS600 600W ATX Power Supply
ENYLE E-Series ATX Mid Tower Case
Unfortunately I need a new OS, the hard drive in my old pc might still work
Right now I only have around $300, around January should be up to $1000

I mostly play old pc games like Dawn of War and Civilization or 1503AD. My favorite series is the Total War, and I play shogun 2 and Napolian a lot.
After looking at reviews and benchmarks this build is technically better than my old computer, however I know this isn't a gaming pc. Around the beginning of next year I was going to build a gaming pc after saving up, but my question is should I even try to upgrade this build now or wait for my new build.
Thanks for the help.

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 19,753 posts
:welcome: LiteSleeper

The parts would be ok for a HTPC/light gaming and so would handle the games that you mention in your OP.

I would suggest that you make do with the above parts for now and use a free Linux OS with it and build yourself a gaming rig when the funds will allow it, this is when you would be better off purchasing a 64-bit OS such as Windows 7 or 8.

What you can build for $1020

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
I agree, wait for the better build. Won't be too long now. :thumbsup: