Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please help remove Ceres-HijackThis log

• Please log in to reply

Swandog46

Swandog46

Malware Expert

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts
  • MVP
Yes; it should be under "Add/Remove Windows Components." See this page:
http://namaste.cc.vt...op/vtkb2453.htm

Advertisements

xcalnd1

xcalnd1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I went through the steps in the link. I don't think this removed the software, because the program files\internet explorer folder was still in place. After removing I ran the install of IE6, and only recieved a prompt to reinstall. After the reinstall, I tried using a popup link and it still worked the same as before. Thanks for the tip, anyhow!

Swandog46

Swandog46

Malware Expert

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts
  • MVP
OK, I'm really at a loss. I'm asking for other suggestions though....thanks for your perseverance...

Swandog46

Swandog46

Malware Expert

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts
  • MVP
Last resort:

Please go to Start -> Run -> cmd and press Enter.

At the command prompt, type each of the following lines, pressing Enter after each one:

regsvr32 Urlmon.dll
regsvr32 Mshtml.dll
regsvr32 Msjava.dll
regsvr32 Browseui.dll
regsvr32 Actxprxy.dll
regsvr32 Oleaut32.dll
regsvr32 Shell32.dll
regsvr32 Shdocvw.dll

Restart your computer and see if that helps....

xcalnd1

xcalnd1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hello, the issue remains after trying that. I think this may be due to this microsoft issue:

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;886184

I got the hotfix install from MS, but havent installed it yet. Hopefully this will correct the issue, will let you know!

Thanks,
xcalnd1

xcalnd1

xcalnd1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Just installed the hotfix and rebooted, and it did not fix the issue. grr argh. cant think of anything else to fix it short of wiping the hard drive and reinstalling my OS- but that seems a bit much for my little browsing problem. hmm. let me know if any more suggestions, thanks!

Swandog46

Swandog46

Malware Expert

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts
  • MVP
Unfortunately, I'm out of ideas and so are all the others.... :tazz: Sorry....

You might try posting in the Operating Systems forum here:
http://www.geekstogo...2003_NT-f5.html

in hopes that one of them has an idea....

I hope you find the solution... please do keep me informed!....

xcalnd1

xcalnd1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Thank you much for all your assistance with this! I learned a lot about preventing Malware and various ways to correct IE issues during this process.

Since there were a few other issues other than internet browsing - windows updates, 'find files and folders' not coming up, 'my network connections' showed as blank, plus many programs and files on there I no longer use: I went ahead and backed up all the files I needed, wiped the hard drive, and set up my pc with a fresh install of Windows XP. Everything is much improved now, all is well!

--xcalnd1

Swandog46

Swandog46

Malware Expert

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts
  • MVP
Well, I am glad you learned from it --- that is the most important thing. Then it will not happen again to your brand spanking clean system :tazz:

Take care