Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE 10 installation problem

• Please log in to reply

rigs

rigs

• PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
I've trying to install IE 10 but a window pops up with a message saying it cannot continue because a more recent version ie is installed in my computer. as far as I know, I removed all IE versions a couple of years ago. could it be that there are some files left in my system?

my pc runs windows 7/64

thank you

Advertisements

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi rigs,

as far as I know, I removed all IE versions a couple of years ago.

Could you please share with me how you went about uninstalling IE?

could it be that there are some files left in my system?

Yes. And more than likely some corruption due to uninstalling IE.

To see if IE is still present, please do the following:

Go to Start > Programs and Features and click on View installed updates found in the left side panel. Allow the updates to populate.

In the upper right hand side of your screen:

Type in expl in the Search Installed Updates field. Once the search is complete, if nothing is displayed under the updates area of Microsoft Windows, you may have to click on the little dropdown arrow on the far right hand side to display any entries.

Let me know the results, please.

Thank you,
Donna :)

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
sorry, I think that I turned IE 9 off and not uninstalled it, a few years ago.

I did as instructed and on the update window, it lists IE 10

thank you

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
You're welcome.

Is your problem resolved?

If needed, you could go to Start > All Programs > Internet Explorer right click and choose Pin to Start Menu or Taskbar even,(or choose to Send to > Desktop)

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
Ok, lets see.........
did you want me to uninstall IE10 from the installed updates windows? If so, I tried but another window comes up with a message, “an error has occurred. Not all of the updates were successfully were uninstalled.” I clicked ok, restarted and tried to instal IE10, again. it did not install and still get the same message.............

thank you

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi rigs,

Can you open IE10 from the Start menu, All programs?

To find it, click on your Start then All Programs then find Internet Explorer in the list. Click on Internet Explorer to open the browser. Is it there? Can you open the browser?

Thank you,

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
sorry........
no, it's not listed on the "all programs" listng.

thank you

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hm? Ok. Try this:

Click on your Start orb. In the Search Programs and files (aka Start Search) field type Internet Explorer.

Did it display in the search list under Programs?

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
no, it did not showed IE10......

the only related file to IE10, that it showed, was its setup utility............

thank you

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi rigs,

Let's start from scratch here.....

Click on Start and type View Installed Updates into the Start Search field.
Click on View Installed Updates from the list and allow time for the updates to populate.
In the search field in the upper right hand corner of the screen type in expl to display IE10 as we did before.
Left click on IE10 to highlight and choose Uninstall from above or you can right click and choose uninstall.

IE should now be reverted back to IE9.

Reboot your computer.

Next:

Click on Start and type View Installed Updates into the Start Search field.
Click on View Installed Updates from the list and allow time for the updates to populate.
In the search field in the upper right hand corner of the screen type in expl to display IE9 as we did before.
Left click on IE9 to highlight and choose Uninstall from above or you can right click and choose uninstall.

IE should now be reverted back to IE8.

Reboot your computer.

Next:

Download IE9 from here. When finished, try downloading IE10.

Let me know the results.

Please note: MS recently pushed the IE11 update just this last Tuesday. Once finished with the above tasks, please go to Windows Updates and click on Check for updates. IE11 should be offered as an update. (You may also be able to reinstall IE9 and 10 via Windows Updates as well.)

Advertisements

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
ok, will try tomorrow.......busy weekend.

thank you

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
ok, I did what you suggested. I left click o IE10 and uninstall but after a few minutes and as before, the following message comes up "an error has occurred. Not all of the updates were successfully were uninstalled." and IE10 did not change to IE9. I rebooted and checked but it still listing IE10. I was thinking to reinstall IE9, maybe is missing, but I don't want mess things up.....................

thank you

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi rigs,

I do apologize for the delay in responding.

I was thinking to reinstall IE9, maybe is missing, but I don't want mess things up

There's a strong possibility that if you try to reinstall IE9 you will receive the error message saying it cannot continue because a more recent version of IE is installed since IE10 is still installed.

As you stated in post #3 above.

sorry, I think that I turned IE 9 off and not uninstalled it, a few years ago.

Let's check to see if IE is turned off:

• Click on Start > Control Panel > Programs and Features
  • In the left panel click on Turn Windows features on or off.
  • Look for Internet Explorer in the list and make sure there is a check mark in the box to the left.
  • Reboot your computer.

Let me know the results so I can determine what our next steps should be.

Thank you,

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
no, don't worry.........

ok, I did as suggested but for some reason all I get is a blank "Turn Windows features on or off" window. I left it on for about 20 minutes to see if maybe the feature was running slow but still a blank window. so, I don't know what's up with that

thank you

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
rigs,

Do you have SP1 installed? To find out:

Click on Start, right click on Computer in the right panel and choose Properties at the bottom of the list. Under Windows Edition it will display Operating System that is installed, Copyright information and Service Pack that is installed.

Let me know what you find...