Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE 10 installation problem

• Please log in to reply

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
ok, I ran IE11 installation twice but a window popped with this message "IE did not finish installing" and gave a link to IE troubleshooter.
I checked windows installed updates still no IE. I'm still with IE8.

thank you

Advertisements

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi rigs,

Could you please provide the CBS folder. You can find it as follows:

Export CBS folder

• Click the Start button Posted Image then click Computer.
  • Double-click on the C: drive, under the Hard Disk Drives category, and then scroll down to, and double click on the Windows folder.
  • Find and double click on the Logs folder.
  • Right-click on the CBS folder, and select Copy.
  • Go back to your Desktop, right-click on it, and select Paste. You should now see a copy of the CBS folder appear on your Desktop called CBS.
  • Right-click on this new folder, and navigate through Send to, and select Compressed (zipped) folder.
  • A new file, also called CBS (CBS.zip), but this time with a different icon, will be created.

The CBS folder can be very large in size and there is a size limit to what you can attach here in the forum. Could you please follow the instructions below to create a Dropbox account, upload the file to your account (if you don't already have one) and provide the link so we can access the file.

Here are some instructions on how to create a Dropbox acct and Upload the file to Dropbox

Note: If you prefer, the same techniques may be applied to Skydrive however these instructions may not necessarily work for Skydrive.

• If you haven't already created a Dropbox account, please do so Here
  • Although this procedure can be done directly through the website, it is much easier to do so via the Windows client which can be downloaded from the Dropbox website:

https://www.dropbox.com/install
  • After you have downloaded and installed that, you should now see Dropbox in your Favourites box in Windows Explorer. This is the folder that will be synchronised with the Dropbox servers, anything that you wish to back up online can be put in here, but today we will be using it to transfer files.

Posted Image
  • To access your Dropbox folder, just click on the link in the top left hand corner of Windows Explorer (accessible from any location - Documents etc.). Alternatively, you can double click on the icon Posted Image found in your system tray (next to the time). If you are still having issues locating this folder, unless otherwise specified, it can be found under this location: C:\Users\{Your username}\Dropbox
  • Copy all of the following files to the Public folder in your Dropbox:
  • Select all files by pressing Ctrl+A then right-click and select Send to > Compressed (zipped) folder
  • This will create a .zip Posted Image file in your Public folder.
  • Right-click on this file and select Dropbox > Copy Public Link then Paste (Ctrl + V) this link into your next post for me please

If you have any trouble accomplishing the above, please let us know and we'll do our best to help guide you.

Also, if you see the update for IE11 reappear in Windows Updates again, please try to install the update and let us know the results.

Thank you,
Donna :)

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
ok, I did zipped the cbs logs. in the dropbox, I'm confused. I dropped the cbs.zip in the main window. however, in your instructions you say to copy and zip all the files in the public area. what files? the cbs.zip from my desktop? anyways, I then noticed a "share link" heading top of the file listing and a new browser window opened with this link, https://www.dropbox....wturol/CBS.zip. so, I hope this is what you need. I'll keep reading your instructions

thank you

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi rigs,

Yes. I am sorry about those instructions. It appears that they are a bit outdated. I had no idea till you pointed that out which I thank you greatly for.

As you can see, the log is quite huge! This will take a bit of time to review.

In the meantime, could you please do a manual search for the following logs in C:\Windows

C:\Windows\WindowsUpdate.log
C:\Windows\IE11_main
C:\Windows\IE10_NR_Setup
C:\Windows\IE9_uninst
C:\Windows\WU_ IE11_LangPacks
C:|Windows\WU_ IE10_LangPacks

If found, right click on each text file and send to your desktop.

Now, right click on an empty space on your desktop and create a new folder and title it Logs. Drag and drop all the text files above that you found on your C:\ drive into that folder. Right click on that new folder titled Logs and Send to > Compressed (zipped) folder.

Please see if you can upload that zipped folder to Dropbox and provide the link as you did before.

Thank you,

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
ok, the only log found was the windows update. here's the link......... https://www.dropbox....ndowsUpdate.log

thank you

Edited by rigs, 13 December 2013 - 09:45 PM.

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
I forgot to tell you that my "windows features on/off" list" is blank, again. I don't know why but I'm going to redo the steps that tom982 gave me on #32. if you are in contact with him. can you ask him, what can be causing this problem?

thank you

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Tom will receive an email notification that you have replied to your thread, though I am also in contact with him as well. We are reviewing the logs you have provided, which do take quite a bit of time.

I would wait for a reply before following the instructions that Tom provided in post #32. Far as we know, the same files he sourced may not be the same files that caused the current corruption.

can you ask him, what can be causing this problem?

That I can answer for you. You have some major corruption and we are in the process of trying to find how extensive the corruption is and how to fix it to prevent from having to reformat/reinstall your Operating System.

Do you have any recover discs for this computer if it comes to that?

What is the make and model# of your computer? That information could be found on a tag somewhere on the computer. If not, if you click on Start, right click on Computer and choose Properties, the manufacturer and Model# can be found under System.

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
my pc is a dell inspiron. I can't find my recovery disks, as of today. however, my system has a D:\recovery..........

thank you

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi rigs,

I'm sorry for the delay. Please read this post thoroughly and let me know if you are ok with the following tasks and we will continue to find a solution as long as you are willing to continue with our trouble shooting. Reinstalling would be the easy way out, though you will lose everything that is not backed up and saved to a safe place. I am not one to toss in the towel and reinstall unless that is what you would like to do.

There's a possibility that the blank windows features on/off screen may be blank due to deleting or renaming the SoftwareDistribution folder and may not be recoverable. Do you recall ever deleting or renaming that folder?

Your WindowsUpdate.log file did show a few errors. We can try the following FixIt to see if we can fix those errors. Once you click on the click and the page loads completely a Microsoft Fixit will appear. Click on the green Run now button and follow the instructions:

Windows Update error "0x80070002" or "0x80070003"

In post #49 you stated you could only find the WindowsUpdate.log file. Let's see if the following batch file will find them for us:

Batch File

Warning: this fix is specific to the user in this thread. No one else should follow these instructions as it may cause more harm than good. If you are after assistance, please start a thread of your own.

• Click on the Start Posted Image button and in the search box, type Notepad and click on it
  • Copy (Ctrl+C) all of the text in the following box and paste (Ctrl+V) it into Notepad

@ECHO OFF
    set ZIPFOLDER=%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\DonnaB

del %ZIPFOLDER%\*.* /a /f /q
    rmdir %ZIPFOLDER% /s /q
    mkdir %ZIPFOLDER%
    del %USERPROFILE%\Desktop\DonnaB.zip /a /f /q

xcopy %windir%\*.log %ZIPFOLDER%\ /H /Y

echo Set objArgs = WScript.Arguments > _zipIt.vbs
    echo InputFolder = objArgs(0) >> _zipIt.vbs
    echo ZipFile = objArgs(1) >> _zipIt.vbs
    echo CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject").CreateTextFile(ZipFile, True).Write "PK" ^& Chr(5) ^& Chr(6) ^& String(18, vbNullChar) >> _zipIt.vbs
    echo Set objShell = CreateObject("Shell.Application") >> _zipIt.vbs
    echo Set source = objShell.NameSpace(InputFolder).Items >> _zipIt.vbs
    echo objShell.NameSpace(ZipFile).CopyHere(source) >> _zipIt.vbs
    echo wScript.Sleep 2000 >> _zipIt.vbs

CScript _zipIt.vbs %ZIPFOLDER% %USERPROFILE%\Desktop\DonnaB.zip

del .\_zipIt.vbs /a /f /q
    del %ZIPFOLDER%\*.* /a /f /q
    rmdir %ZIPFOLDER% /s /q

start explorer.exe %userprofile%\Desktop

• Go to File > Save As... and save it to your Desktop named fix.bat. Make sure you change the Save as type to All Files (*.*)
  • Locate fix.bat on your Desktop and right click then select Run as administrator

This should place a zipped folder on your desktop called DonnaB.zip as well as open up a window that displays the userprofile desktop that you are logged into with the folder included in the list of what is on the desktop.

Please upload that folder to DropBox and provide the link.

Another task for you if you would please.

Go to Start then to Run
Type in compmgmt.msc and click OK
On the left side click on Disk Management
On the right side you will see your hard drive.
Expand the middle pane to full view.

Now I need you to take a screenshot and attach it to your next reply. Do the following to take a screenshot while the above is open and showing on your desktop.

To do a screenshot please click on the Print Screen key on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key.

Now go to Start and then to All Programs
Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop
Make sure the window is open all the way so I can see everything on the top right window.

On Vista/Win7 you could also use the snipping tool and click File > Save As... and save to your desktop.

Attach this image in a separate post, if you would please.

Thank you,

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
ok, ran the fix it program and according to the results, there were no problems found. I will try to do the rest asap but before that I have a question it may sound like a dumb one but, how do I expand the middle panel to full view on disk management? as requested...........

thank you

Advertisements

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts

I have a question it may sound like a dumb one but, how do I expand the middle panel to full view on disk management?

Trust me, there is no such thing as a dumb question! The majority of the experts started out by asking, "Why, how and what if" questions.

And to answer your question:

Follow the instructions below:

• Go to Start then to Run
  • Type in compmgmt.msc and click OK
  • On the left side click on Disk Management

If the Computer Management/Disk Management screen opens and does not cover your screen completely, you will see 3 little boxes in the upper right hand corner of the windows. Click on the box in the middle (that is to the left of the red box with the white X in it). That will minimize or maximize the whole screen. You will want to maximize that screen.

That alone may display all 3 sections in their entirety, though if it doesn't, you will see the 2 "lines" that separate the 3 sections. Place your mouse (arrow pointer) on the "line" to the right and you will notice that it will become a double headed arrow. Left click to "grab" that line, then drag that line to your far right by moving the mouse in that direction. That should expand the middle portion.

Let me know if you have any trouble at all. I'd be more than happy to create images if you need me to. :)

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
ok, I did as instructed. as for deleting or renaming the "Software Distribution" folder, I did not do either. I don't mess with the windows folder unless instructed by someone who knows what they're doing. I don't know what might of happen............. can I copy this folder from my father's laptop(windows7/64) and paste in my system...........just wondering

here are the links..............

https://www.dropbox....6p4w/DonnaB.zip

https://www.dropbox....lheb/dmgmnt.jpg

thank you

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi rigs,

Again, I do apologize for the delay. The recent Holidays have consumed majority of my free time.

Yes. The Recovery Partition is intact and we may have to use it to restore your system back to factory condition. Many people don't understand the importance of IE and how integrated it is to the Windows Operating system. I always suggest that if they prefer not to use IE, it is best to just delete the icon shortcut from view and leave it alone.

as for deleting or renaming the "Software Distribution" folder, I did not do either.

After replacing those corrupt files, there should be no reason why the Windows Features list is still blank unless there is a deeper corruption which I believe there is, and you can not just copy the SoftwareDistribution folder from another computer as a replacement. From my understanding they are computer specific and should regenerate itself if deleted in most occasions. The only other way to correct it is a reinstall or restore to factory condition.

I am in the process of discussing this matter with Tom and another associate to find the best approach to resolve your problem.

Do you have all your personal files backed and saved to a safe place, just in case?

We can continue troubleshooting, though I can not guarantee the corruption can be resolved.

Let me know if you would like to continue the troubleshooting or cut to the chase and restore to factory condition.

Hope your had a Merry Christmas!

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
hi and merry christmas,
ok, as for IE, it has taken a back seat due to my windows on/off problem. I mostly use firefox. I was mainly trying to fix IE for my nieces and nephews. they feel more comfortable using IE. I guess they'll have to get comfortable with firefox or else..... :lol: :lol: right now, I would prefer to find a solution for my problem but while I'm backing my personal files in case of a recovery..(I have alot)

thank you

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts

as for IE, it has taken a back seat due to my windows on/off problem.

Hm? I don't recall you mentioning there is an on/off problem so you will have to elaborate a bit on that. The more you tell me, the better.

Your nieces and nephews. What do they use the computer for (not to be nosy) but do you know for sure this system is not infected???

Are they using limited/standard accounts (not accounts with administrative privileges) while they use this computer.

while I'm backing my personal files in case of a recovery..(I have alot)

What types of files are they? You don't happen to use P2P programs do you?

Again, not trying to be nosy, just trying to learn a bit about your computer habits.

When you get time, please explain the on/off problem.