Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

sdhc card no longer being accepted

• Please log in to reply

mazgo

mazgo

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
hi all, new to this so here goes....
i have a pc that i just brought (4months ago) n i was prompted to do an update to windows 8.1 so i did.. the prob is since then all odd things have been happening like at first ALL my photos had vanished... massive panic as photography is my life line hobby (im disabled so unable to work).. anyway my 17 year old son reset it back to the day before i updated etc.. got pics back but it still had the 8.1 installed... now for eg the skype hd to be re opened by renewing the old password etc... now im unable to auto open the sdhc card and hen i do this manually is wont open the raw pic into elements 8 as before..

it reads..'this file is damaged or is a format that cannot be included in the organiser'..it then states,' nothing was imported', yet they are in my pictures just unable to open them in elements 8 as i did before....i have installed the new camera disk etc which should allow the raw to be read as before.

have gone into pic properties to open with elements but to no avail...

also i appears there is now no wizard as when i inserted the canon disk i had to manually open it...

any ideas are greatly appreciated...

mazgo

Advertisements

Biscuithd

Biscuithd

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,573 posts
Hi Mazgo,

Your topic was in the Malware area, but I don't think you're having a Malware issue, I think you're having a Window Update issue, so your topic has been moved to the Windows 8 area.

I am sorry to hear about the trouble you're having, but I'm going to do my best to help you. First, I'd like to be sure that I understand the issue completely and that I also understand what has and what has not been done to the computer, so, I'm going to re-state what you wrote and you tell me where I'm misinterpreting.

The machine in question is 4 months old. Recently you accepted an update to Windows 8.1. After the update many odd things began to occur, such as, Photos appeared to be missing from the machine.Your son set the machine to a previous Restore Point (I'm guessing that is what he did). The computer, now working off a previous Restore Point was then able to "find" your photographs! However, Skype Adobe Elements 8 and your SD card are NOT functioning properly. Last, you note that the computer is still updated to Windows 8.1 Hopefully, I have all that correct.

First, I want you to kow that you did nothing wrong by doing the Update. We always coach people to keep their system(s) up to date. I have Windows 8 and updated mine too. Millions of us did the update. That said, unfortunately, there are some issues being reported with the 8.1 upgrade. My point is, don't blame yourself! The issue belongs to Microsoft. However, we'll try and help you here.

That said, you might be thinking, "Why don't I just remove the 8.1 Update?". Unfortunately, easier said than done. Not impossible, but not for the casual user. Have a look at this USA Today article http://www.usatoday....covery/3476743/ So, I'm thinking it might be easier the work through the issues that you have with 8.1 than try and roll it back or uninstall it.

So, let's talk about the issue(s) right now. Can you access photos that are on your hard disk? Can you access photos that are on your SD Disk? Is Elements working correctly? Are there any other issues with the machine?

Also, would you check the Windows Edition and let me know what it is? You can do that by going to the control panel > system > Windows edition

Biscuithd

Edited by Biscuithd, 21 November 2013 - 08:20 AM.

mazgo

mazgo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
hi and thank you for your reply Biscuithd, very much appreciated... im might just add that im no computer genius...

The machine in question is 4 months old. Recently you accepted an update to Windows 8.1. After the update many odd things began to occur, such as, Photos appeared to be missing from the machine.Your son set the machine to a previous Restore Point (I'm guessing that is what he did). The computer, now working off a previous Restore Point was then able to "find" your photographs! However, Skype Adobe Elements 8 and your SD card are NOT functioning properly. Last, you note that the computer is still updated to Windows 8.1 Hopefully, I have all that correct. Yes all what you state is correct and yes it is now windows 8.1 tho i must say i do wish i never installed the update in the first place especially after readying the usatoday report..:(....

Q1) Can you access photos that are on your hard disk? i can see and access via elements 8 all the photos

Q2) Can you access photos that are on your SD Disk? i can see (although the message in the dialogue box that came up after the photos were requested to be uploaded via the "organise and edit - adobe elements organiser 8)but not able to access the new photos

Q3) Is Elements working correctly? yes it appears to be

Q4) Are there any other issues with the machine? yes there seams to be load of little things now wrong .. for example my skype had to be re installed...as did the canon software...

Q5) Also, would you check the Windows Edition and let me know what it is? You can do that by going to the control panel > system > Windows edition... windows 8.1 2013 Microsoft corporation 64 bit processor

mazgo.

Edited by mazgo, 21 November 2013 - 09:21 AM.

Biscuithd

Biscuithd

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,573 posts

hi and thank you for your reply Biscuithd, very much appreciated...

You are quite welcome!

im might just add that im no computer genius...

Not a problem! If you don't understand something I type or my instructions aren't clear, just let me know.

Q1) Can you access photos that are on your hard disk? i can see and access via elements 8 all the photos

That seems like good news!

Q2) Can you access photos that are on your SD Disk? i can see (although the message in the dialogue box that came up after the photos were requested to be uploaded via the "organise and edit - adobe elements organiser 8)but not able to access the new photos

I take this to mean, you're using Elements to access the SD card? If that part is right, then my next assumption is...Elements is NOT able to access the card and the photos.

Regardless of the answer to the previous question, are you able to use Windows Explorer to access the SD card and the Photos? If the answer is Yes, perhaps we can use explorer to move them off the SD card and plop them on your Hard Drive where Elements might be able to access and use them?

Q3) Is Elements working correctly? yes it appears to be

Good news too.

Q4) Are there any other issues with the machine? yes there seams to be load of little things now wrong .. for example my skype had to be re installed...as did the canon software...

Yes, it seem like the 8.1 Update left a lot of "thinks" worse off! Let's get your photo issue handled and then we can work on the other stuff...sound good?

Q5) Also, would you check the Windows Edition and let me know what it is? You can do that by going to the control panel > system > Windows edition... windows 8.1 2013 Microsoft corporation 64 bit processor

Knowing this will help a lot in my researching these issues.

Last, I'll be as quick as I can helping you resolve these issues, but it might take several hours for some of them, so be patient with me. I'll try and keep you updated on my progress.

Edited by Biscuithd, 21 November 2013 - 09:26 AM.

mazgo

mazgo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
this is the process i go through to open a dd card. (just to add previous to today ive used to own an older camera which used the larger compact flash card so also used a card reader. i have even tried to place the sd caard in the card reader but the card reader is still not auto being read)
a) insert sd card direct into pc
B) then i left click on the file box in the left corner of screen,
C) then right click on the removable E Disk and then click on the Open Auto Play, a box appears in top right side of screen with a list of open options which are;- 1)open folder to view files, file explorer 2) import photos & videos 3) play windows media player 4) organise & edit elements organise 08(the ones ive been using as it was the one previously used with the compact flash card)5) creative disc & edit image media suit 10 6)transfer to or from device 7)view/download images canon Zoom browser EX 8) view Pictures photo gallery
d) have tried the number 7 + 4 + 8 but to no avail...

i have even tried a brand new sd card just to confirm the other was not faulty but the results were the same.. is it possible the fault is my new canon 60d camera.. im working in large raw ..

not sure what im doing wrong babe

again many thanks babe..xx maz

mazgo

mazgo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
just to add, elements 8 is working ok as ive been trying the old images both in raw and jpeg and tehy open fine, its just the new images from new camera after installed windows 8.

why oh why did i not just leave alone..if its not broken dont fix it....

maz :(

Biscuithd

Biscuithd

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,573 posts
Ok, my best research tells me that this is a Driver problem caused by the upgrade. There may not be a quick fix...sorry! Give me some time to see if anyone has a work around for this one.

why oh why did i not just leave alone..if its not broken dont fix it....

Don't beat yourself up, upgrading is almost always a good thing! Microsoft got sloppy on this one.

Biscuithd

Biscuithd

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,573 posts
Here's something that is helping some folks. I copied the instruction verbatim and have NOT tested them!!! Let me know if you're comfortable trying these instructions "as is". If they are not clear, I'll work through instruction that are more verbose.

In Device Manager i did change the view to see all Devices

Disconnect the USB cable.

Remove the devices with the "USB Device has an illegal/invalid USB Device-description"

Remove the devices with has been using the USB Hub form the Monitor.

Plug in only the USB cable for the Hub and the Cardreader.

Plug in all other devices.

mazgo

mazgo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
not sure i really understand sorry babe....x

Biscuithd

Biscuithd

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,573 posts
Fair enough! I'll work you up some clearer instructions later today.

Advertisements

mazgo

mazgo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
ok thanks babe..x i'll try to keep up...lol

Biscuithd

Biscuithd

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,573 posts
Ok, try this
Go to Control Panel then Device Manager
Then click View and click the Show Hidden Devices box

Now, tell me which lines have a Yellow Triangle with an Exclamation Point. I'm most concerned about lines within the Universal Serial Bus Connectors group, but if you have Yellow Trainagles in other places, I'd like to know that too.

Also, I want to reconfirm that your SD reader is attached to your computer via a USB port, right?

mazgo

mazgo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
soz babe, went to bed....

right, there are NO devices that showed a yellow triangle and the lines within the universal serial Bus Connectors group are all normal, no yellow or exclamations points...
also my SD card is now inserted straight in to the pc tower. i used to use a card reader when i used the compact flash cards for my older model camera..

many thanks..maz x

mazgo

mazgo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
ok here is an even weirder update on my problem...

in uploaded an old image saved on a Flash card and it loaded and was usable as normal.. so this possibly discounts there being an issue with windows 8.1

i then took some new pics with the new camera and a new SD card and it still was NOT readable. but i then copied it from Photo Gallery to the desktop and then opened it direct into adobe Photoshop Elements 8 and it was blocked there..unable to open, file not read...but the fact that i was able to copy it means surly that the SD card is functioning ok..

So... is the problem with the OS system on the Pc or the new camera ????? ive set the camera as i had my older camera so am a little unsure it is the fault of the camera tho wont rule anything out... unfortunately i no longer have my old camera to test the idea on

really doing my head in now....

maz :(

mazgo

mazgo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
oh wow.. i just took some pics in JPEG and it uploaded fine onto pc... it has something to do with the RAWs