Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Web browser and USB conflict

• Please log in to reply

passingthru

passingthru

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
I once had a problem with my laptop, when I was done using my usb thumb drive and wanted to unplug it, I would first click "eject" and wait for it to tell me "now safe to remove your device". Well, if my firefox browser happened to be open, suddenly it tells me "cannot remove device, file still in use, you must close them". It's only AFTER I close firefox that it lets me remove the device. If this happened with more than one USB, according to the diagnostic guy at staples, it would be a sure sign that a virus might be trying to access my usb files thru my browser. We never got a chance to find out what it really was because my laptop kept overheating, it was old and had a lot of problems.

Now, I got a brand new computer, a desktop and lo and behold I'm having the same problems with my USBs. I ran scans with Microsoft Security Essebtials, MalwareBytes AntiMalware and Advanced Systemcare and none of them found anything. The only stuff from my old laptop that I transfered to the new desktop was Firefox because I didn't want to lose my bookmarks and my addons. I can only imagine the problem is inside my Firefox, but I'm stupid with computers. How do I fix this? Is it really a trojan?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
:welcome: passingthru

Have you tried resetting FF, see Here

A topic that may help you available Here

As for a possible Trojan, only the malware staff are on those forums are qualified and permitted to advise on that, if the above information does not help let us know.

passingthru

passingthru

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

:welcome: passingthru

A topic that may help you available Here

I found this there:

"This is obviously a bug. I have the same problem every single time when trying to eject from USB. The culprit is 'Realplayer recording manager' showing up on task manager. The only way to tackle this issue is to: 1.) close the program under task manager manually every time, 2.) disable RealDownloader 1.3.0 extension from FF add-ons"

Bingo, I tried it and it worked! Thank you very much! : )

Edited by passingthru, 21 November 2013 - 03:30 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
We are pleased that the issue is now resolved, thanks for the follow up passingthru :thumbsup: