Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Update Repeating same Update KB2868038

• Please log in to reply

barneyhelper

barneyhelper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
Thanks Ztrucker,

I added the don't load key to Control Panel key and the two string values. Now Control Panel has only one Network Connections icon.

Now if DonnaB can just solve the Automatic Updates problem...............

Advertisements

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts

I see both on my XP Pro + SP3 too:

"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\don't load"
    ncpa.cpl    REG_SZ  No
    odbccp32.cpl        REG_SZ  No

Download dontload.zip below.
Unzip it to get dontload.reg.
Double click on dontload.reg to merge it into your registry.
That will give you both entries as shown above.

Thank you Ztruker! :hug: My XP Pro has those 2 values as well, and I tried to post a reg fix Monday night after barneyhelper posted, but it appears that the cyber shoppers was hogging all my satellite bandwidth and my connection kept dropping in and out.

barneyhelper,

Please allow me a bit of time to review my notes that I was able to go jot down as I went through your thread before my connection flaked out on me.

Thank you again for your patience.
Donna :)

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi barneyhelper,

I need you to help me to help you (ha! say that 3x's!). ;)

After going through your thread and my notes, I see that you have fixed the 1290:0x50a error here by removing those reg values.

Has that error code 1290:0x50a issue been completely resolved now?

Are you still experiencing that service having to be started manually after reboot?

Do you still get error code 0x80240001 when trying to access trying to Windows Updates web site?

Is Error code 0x8007F0FA the only error code you are experiencing at this time for the failed updates?

The WindowsUpdate.log did give me an vague idea what is going on, though nothing of much help. I do need to have a much closer look at that log. It appears that the updates are failing because they are already installed.

Go ahead and delete that FixDotNet icon, at this time I see no need for it except unless you and it are in a stare down competition and I fear the icon may be the winner!

Please look in your Add/Remove Programs to see if you can find Hotfix for Windows XP (KB2779562). If found, please hide that update as you did the other 2 by following the instructions found in my previous post here.

If the update is not found, please run the MS Fixit that will pop up on the page once the page has loaded after you click on the link>>here<<

Let me know the results, please.

In the meantime, I need to re-review everything that has been accomplished so far. We'll do our best to prevent from suggesting that the system be reinstalled yet once again, though I cannot guarantee that possibility will not arise.

Thank you,
Donna :)

barneyhelper

barneyhelper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
Hi DonnaB,

Error code 1290:0x50a has been completly resolved. BITS starts automatically.

Do not get error code 0x80240001 when accessing Windows Updates web site.

Error code 0x8007F0F4 is only error code I'm getting for the two failed updates KB2863058 (which you had me hide) and current update KB2779562. The other update that kept re-installing KB2868038 is still hidden.

Removed FixDotNet icon from desktop.

Could not find Hotfix for Windows XP KB2779562 in Add/Remove Programs.

Ran MS Fixit for Windows Update problems and it reported two problems NOT fixed;
Service Registration is missing or corrupt
Windows Update error 0x8024402C(2013-12-05-T-01_34_20P)

Waiting for your instructions to proceed.

barneyhelper

barneyhelper

barneyhelper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
Hi DonnaB,

I thought you should know that I just ran Windows Update and it came up with the two hidden updates KB2868038 and KB2863058 to install. I exited without istalling them. What should I do? I can't figure out how windows OS can see them if they are hidden unless running MS Fixit caused it to happen.
barneyhelper

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hm? Those 2 updates are listed in Add/Remove Programs, correct? Before we go hiding them again, the 0x8024402C error is an indication of a proxy or firewall settings that are configured incorrectly.

Which AV and firewall are installed?

Try the following to correct the 0x8024402C error code:

• Open Internet Explorer.
  • On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.

Note: If the menu is not available in the Internet Explorer window, press the ALT key on the keyboard to display the menu.
  • Click the Connections tab, click LAN Settings, and then click Advanced.
  • Delete any entries in the Exceptions section, and then click OK.
  • Close Internet Explorer.
  • Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
  • Type the following commands. Press ENTER after each command.

• proxycfg -d
      net stop wuauserv
      net start wuauserv
  • Try to install the updates again.
If this doesn't work let me know which AV/firewall is installed. May have to disable the firewall or add to the exceptions...

barneyhelper

barneyhelper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
Hi DonnaB,

I'm running Norton Internet Security AV with Norton's firewall.

Only the KB2868038 update is in ADD/REMOVE Programs. The other two KB2863058 and KB2779562 (which have both failed to install) are not in ADD?REMOVE programs. I found that the same is true for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Updates.

No advanced box available in window that opens from connections tab when clicking LAN Settings.

I ran the commands you requested under cmd and all appeared to be working fine.

I ran Windows Update and it reported KB2868038 installed and KB2863058 failed.

What next?

barneyhelper

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Norton.... When you reinstalled with the SP2 disk, did you reinstall Norton prior to updating to SP3? Just wondering.

Disable Norton Internet Security then try to access Windows Updates and see what happens.

Did you purchase Norton is it provided with your ISP?

Also, in the thread where RKinner had helped you, you had mentioned that you used Ccleaners registry tool. Have you used any registry cleaners since then? Windows is a closed source system. Developers of registry cleaners do not have the core code of Windows and are not working on definitive information, but rather they are going on past knowledge and experience. Automatic cleaners will usually have to do some guesswork.

I see you were under the impression that Ccleaner had fixed your BITS service issues here, though apparently it didn't, since you did finally fix the error manually, unless you used the Registry cleaner again which broke the service yet again.

If disabling Norton does not fix the problem, personally, I would reinstall and make sure all updates are installed before you reinstall Norton and never use reg cleaners or the problems will continue to reappear.

barneyhelper

barneyhelper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
Hi DonnaB,

I waited until I had updated to SP3 before re-installing Norton Internet Security which is a program that I had purchased.

With Norton disabled, same results with Windows Update.

I have not used Ccleaner's registry fix since RKinner's post.

Thank you for all your help, I'll proceed with format and re-install.

barneyhelper

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi barneyhelper,

You're welcome! :)

It was truly a pleasure to help such a kindred spirit. Please hold off on reinstalling a bit if you can. I'd like to look into what you said above. That doesn't seem right and it has me curious:

No advanced box available in window that opens from connections tab when clicking LAN Settings.

After you click on the Connections tab, then click on LAN Settings, there should be an Atuomatic Configuration section and a Proxy server section. Inside the Proxy server section, do you not see a button on the left titled Advanced? If no proxies are set, it may be "greyed" out. To make the Advanced button clickable you will have to place a checkmark in box to the left of Use a proxy server for your LAN

Please, let me know what you see there.

Advertisements

barneyhelper

barneyhelper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
Hi Donna,

You were right the "Advanced" tab was greyed out. After clicking the "Using a proxy server for your LAN" I clicked the advance box and there was nothing on the exceptions page.

I was just starting to format the C: drive when I discovered it won't let me do it from a command prompt of the existing software. I'm sure I did it before. Any ideas?

barneyhelper

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
When I reinstall, I just boot the computer, place the disc into the drive, reboot and the computer should boot from the disc.

If not, make sure to check and change boot order in the BIOS so the computer will boot to CD/DVD ROM when a disc is in the drive.

barneyhelper

barneyhelper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
Hi DonnaB,

That's what I usually do too. I even tried shutting the computer down and re-starting but the system didn't recognize a CD disc was in the CD ROM drive. I have my boot sequence set for CD ROM drive as first in sequence.

I've even tried accessing the CD setup program and trying to do a new installation but it says my current installation is newer than the CD version (CD is SP2 and I'm running SP3).

I'm stumped!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

barneyhelper

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Does you computer provide a FN key you can press to get to a Boot menu? If so, try that and select the CD drive.

Do you have a single optical drive or two?

Can you check the CD in another computer to see if is good and bootable?

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
How did you accomplish the reinstall in November?

I've even tried accessing the CD setup program and trying to do a new installation but it says my current installation is newer than the CD version

On the new install do you have the option to select install xp, new copy, delete the partition, create
one, or anything similar?

EDIT: Hi Ztruker. I didn't see that you had posted.

barneyhelper, please follow Ztruker's advice.