Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Update Repeating same Update KB2868038

• Please log in to reply

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
Visit update site manually and see how that goes.

Advertisements

barneyhelper

barneyhelper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
Hi rockmilk,

I really don't understand your suggestion. Visit what update site manually? I already used a malware program downloaded from geeks-to-go to remove any malware on my computer. Do you want me to manually remove that program from control panel/add-remove programs?

Also, I've solved a few of the problems:

Device Manager Window constantly refreshing itself.
Solution: Found loose USB device connection.

Cannot start BITS from services.msc. Error code 1290 0x50a.
Solution: Removed two flags (DelayedAutoStart and ServiceSid Type) from registry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\BITS

Still need to know what to do about the icon on my desktop (FixDotNet20131127180322531).

Edited by barneyhelper, 30 November 2013 - 11:59 AM.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi barneyhelper,

Rockmilk was referring to the Windows Updates site. What happens when you go there to check and see if there are anymore updates that are needed after the reinstall of SP3? Please try that and let us know what happens.

Leave the FixDotNet there for the moment.

Then, please do the following:

Go to C:\Windows\WindowsUpdates.log

I would like to see the contents of that log though it will be too large to attach. I'll need for you to upload the log to an online storage site such as Dropbox and share the link so I can download the log to view. Following are instructions for dropbox if you do not have an online site the you prefer:

Here are some instructions on how to create a Dropbox acct and Upload the file to Dropbox

Note: If you prefer, the same techniques may be applied to Skydrive however these instructions may not necessarily work for Skydrive.

• If you haven't already created a Dropbox account, please do so Here
  • Although this procedure can be done directly through the website, it is much easier to do so via the Windows client which can be downloaded from the Dropbox website:

https://www.dropbox.com/install
  • After you have downloaded and installed that, you should now see Dropbox in your Favorites box in Windows Explorer. This is the folder that will be synchronized with the Dropbox servers, anything that you wish to back up online can be put in here, but today we will be using it to transfer files.

Posted Image
  • To access your Dropbox folder, just click on the link in the top left hand corner of Windows Explorer (accessible from any location - Documents etc.). Alternatively, you can double click on the icon Posted Image found in your system tray (next to the time). If you are still having issues locating this folder, unless otherwise specified, it can be found under this location: C:\Users\{Your username}\Dropbox
  • Copy all of the following files to the Public folder in your Dropbox:
  • Select all files by pressing Ctrl+A then right-click and select Send to > Compressed (zipped) folder
  • This will create a .zip Posted Image file in your Public folder.
  • Right-click on this file and select Dropbox > Copy Public Link then Paste (Ctrl + V) this link into your next post for me please

Thank you,
Donna :)

barneyhelper

barneyhelper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
Hi Donnab and rockmilk,

When I go to Windows Update site it shows the two updates KB2868038 and KB2863058 which when you try to install the KB2868038 installs and KB2863058 fails. The same thing occurs from Automatic Updates. Both of these updates are shown in Add\Remove programs (From Control Panel) as being downloaded Nov 2, 2013 when I reinstalled XP.

I don't know how to hide these files from Windows Update.

I do have a Dropbox setup on my computer, but will have to read up on how to upload the windowsupdates.log file you want. I also don't know how you will be able to access it afterwards.

Still trying to figure out how to delete one of the two Network Connections icons from Control Panel.

barneyhelper

barneyhelper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
Hi DonnaB and rockmilk,

I uploaded Windowsupdate.log you requested to my Dropbox account and marked it as shared. Hope you are able to access it.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
barneyhelper,

The only way I will be able to view the uploaded file is if you provide a link for me to access. Please read the instructions in my last post on how to provide that link.

Both of these updates are shown in Add\Remove programs (From Control Panel) as being downloaded Nov 2, 2013 when I reinstalled XP.

If they are displayed in the Add/Remove Programs then hide them. The link below will explain how to do that:

How to Hide Updates in Windows XP

Personally, I would like to find the answer as to why the issues you are experiencing keep recurring on a fresh install. The Windows Update log "should" provide the answer.

barneyhelper

barneyhelper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
Hi DonnaB,

Couldn't quite follow your instructions in last post and I don't have a Public Folder under my existing Dropbox program, so I'll try to attach a notebook copy of my windowsupdates.log to this post. Let me know if you can access it. Its 1.74Mb in size.

Attached File  barneyhelper_WindowsUpdate.txt   1.74MB   211 downloads

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Thank you barneyhelper. I was able to access the attachment. Please allow me some time to view the log, as you can see, it is very, very BIG!

I'll post back with my findings or next set of instructions as soon as possible.

Donna :)

barneyhelper

barneyhelper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
Hi DonnaB,

Glad you were able to access file. In the meantime I followed your suggestion and was able to hide the two updates KB2868038 and KB2863058.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Great! I wanted to ask you if you were able to hide those updates or not.

While I am picking through the WU's log with a fine toothed comb, manually check for more updates to see if any are found. Keep me informed to your progress.

:)

Advertisements

barneyhelper

barneyhelper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
Hi DonnaB,

Actually Automatic Updates downloaded KB2779562 which failed to install. Should I hide this one too?

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
No. See if you can get me the error code for that failed update and any others as well. Anything you do now will not be displayed in the log I requested so you will have to keep me informed to any results.

Do you have an XP disc? How did you reinstall the OS on November 1st? Just wondering.......

barneyhelper

barneyhelper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
Hi DonnaB,

The error code for both KB2863058 and KB2779562 is 0x8007F0F4.
I have and used a Dell Reinstallation CD with XP Home Edition service pack 2.

barneyhelper

barneyhelper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
Hi DonnaB,

I found a reply to "two network connections icons in control panels" by searching the internet under Bing.
"MPH" posted that in the registry under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\ there should be a key named "don't load" and the string value should be ncpa.cpl REG_SZ no.

I checked my Dell Laptop with Windows XP SP3 and sure enough this key exists. It also has another value string:
odbccp32.cpl REG_SZ no.

Should I add this key to my computer's registry? And if so could you give me instructions for adding it?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I see both on my XP Pro + SP3 too:

"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\don't load"
    ncpa.cpl    REG_SZ  No
    odbccp32.cpl        REG_SZ  No

Download dontload.zip below.
Unzip it to get dontload.reg.
Double click on dontload.reg to merge it into your registry.
That will give you both entries as shown above.

Attached File  dontload.zip   312bytes   200 downloads