Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

need help can't update windows 7 internet explorer as i get error

• Please log in to reply

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts
Hi,

Please boot in Safe Mode by pressing F8 when the system is loading and try to install IE from there.

Advertisements

slathor

slathor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Boot widows in safe mode and tryed installing IE 10 full install from the link you attached but message pop up saying " Internet Explorer did not finsh installing " same as when tryed to install from windows in normal boot.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts
Hi,

Can you try to Uninstall Internet Explorer 9 by following the guide here.

If you get any error and can't Uninstall IE 9 try the Microsoft FixIt available here.

Let me know the result.

slathor

slathor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
I tried uninstalling IE9 in the uninstall updates area of the control panl but windows responded with " An error has occured. Not all of the updates were successfully uninstalled."

then ran fix it and tryed again with same results

then tried with the cmd program copy and pasted command requested with multiple errors - no success

and finaly unable to restore from earlier restore point due to no restore point before update date.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts
Hi,

Now if you run Internet Explorer what version you have?

slathor

slathor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
It still shows IE9

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts
Can you check if you have a log IE10_main.log or IE10_NR_Setup.log in c:\windows and attach the logs?

Edit: Also I would like you to download and run the System Update Readiness Tool

I would like to see the log c:\windows\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.log produced by the tool.

Edited by SleepyDude, 03 December 2013 - 03:54 AM.

slathor

slathor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
here' the IE10 files:

also note there are the same logs for IE11 I do see this in the windows update queue I guess at some point tried to update to IE11 also.

Attached Files

slathor

slathor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
c:\windows\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.log

Attached Files

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts
Hi,

Let's see if we can fix one error at a time...

Please download and install Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable Package (x64) eventually will show you a message saying its already installed accept to reinstall.

Run the System Update Readiness Tool again and post the new log please.

Advertisements

slathor

slathor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Attached Files

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Hi,

One more to install Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package ATL Security Update and a new log please.

slathor

slathor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Attached Files

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts
Hi,

Please open the Command Line as Administrator and Copy & Paste the following commands:
FORFILES /P %WINDIR%\servicing\Packages /M Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-*10.*.mum /c "cmd /c echo Uninstalling package @fname && start /w pkgmgr /up:@fname /norestart"

and

FORFILES /P %WINDIR%\servicing\Packages /M Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-*11.*.mum /c "cmd /c echo Uninstalling package @fname && start /w pkgmgr /up:@fname /norestart"

Next try to install Internet Explorer 10 if it fails please attach the IE10_main.log again

slathor

slathor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
failed install also just some info in programs showes two shortcuts for internet explorer one that reads "internet explorer" and one that reads "internet explorer (64-bit)"

attached the IE10_main.log

Attached Files