Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WINS0CKXPFIX

• Please log in to reply

YORGY

YORGY

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Greetings;
My computer running windows xp will not connect to my server. The error message "PROGRA~1\NEWBOT~1\NEWBOT~2.DL" appears at startup. It was recommended that I use WINSOCKXPFIX.exe as a possible remedy. Can you identify a site to download this utility, the Shaw site does not come up when I attempted to go there.
Thanks;

Advertisements

Yarnouth

Yarnouth

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 508 posts
Hi YORGY, try this link: winsock d/l

"This Utility Restores (WinSock and TCP/IP) Registry Keys, that may become Corrupt after Removing the Host Program that Modified them."

Basically some viruses and ad-ware (New.net for example), modify your tcp/ip or internet connectivity settings. Removed said program can leave lingering entries and that may be causing problems. I've used this tool successfully for over a year now, just to make sure that network settings where restored.

If you're not sure that you are as clean as you need to be when it comes to network settings, etc. Just run it and make sure.

this quote is from a similar article by admin and makes perfect sense about what to do with it.

Hope this works for you <_<

Yarnouth