Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Power Supplies

• Please log in to reply

poundgirl

poundgirl

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi, I have a question re two power adapters I have.

My first laptop was an Asus F3JV and it came with a power adapter 90W 19V 4.74A (Part No. ADP-90SB BB)

I also bought a spare one so I could take the laptop upstairs removing the power supply from behind the couch where it was plugged in so now I have two. That laptop died and I did a bit of research online as I wanted the replacement to use the same power supply so I would still have the spares. I bought an Asus K53E and was very disappointed as it came with a different power supply which is 65W 19V 3.42A (Part No.ADP-65JH BB)

My question is, can I use the old 90W adapter in my new laptop? I have read websites that sell adapters and they seem to say that as long as the voltage and tip size is the same that you can use one with a higher amperage as the laptop only draws the power it needs. They don't mention anything about wattage at all but I'm too scared to plug it in and try, although I don't want to buy another 65W adapter if I have two here that I could use instead!

Thank you for your help ...

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
:welcome: poundgirl

The voltage and the connection pin must both be exactly the same, electrical damage will occur if the voltage is too high or if the connection pin/plug is too long for example as it can short out the MB/power jack port, if you check the following two links to generic replacement parts you will note that the pin/plug connection sizes do not match;
90W 19V 4.74A (Part No. ADP-90SB BB)
65W 19V 3.42A (Part No.ADP-65JH BB)
The dimension difference of the power jack connector suggests that they are not interchangeable.

Something else to consider is the type and specs of the battery that each charger is intended for - this also includes the maximum voltage rating etc.

poundgirl

poundgirl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thank you!

Both my connectors have the same pin size and I have checked the old one fits my new laptop (with the power turned off!).

On the link above for the ADP-65JH BB it says "*Please do not mix up with another adapter with the same model number but different connector size" so maybe I have the other one.

Would that make a difference do you think?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
My concern with the two example adapters that I located were the fact that one (the 65W) gave the actual pin length of 11.00mm but the 90W version did not.

You are welcome BTW :thumbsup:

poundgirl

poundgirl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks again :thumbsup: ...

I've been looking at this listing ...

http://www.ebay.com....231e2f4d&_uhb=1

It says it fits my laptop model K53E yet it is a 19V 90W 4.74A with a 5.5 x 2.5mm pin size which seems to be exactly the same as the power supply I have for my old Asus F3JV so this is why I am confused.

Edited by poundgirl, 24 November 2013 - 03:55 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hmm, if you read the item specifics details it states Brand: Hewlett-Packard :unsure:

poundgirl

poundgirl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Sorry not sure where you are looking? :confused:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Please see the attachment below;

poundgirl

poundgirl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Oh my, well spotted .... that doesn't sound right for an 'Original Asus' !!

Hopefully just an error but I will ask the Ebay seller if they can clarify it and post their reply.

The same seller also has these for the K53E

http://cgi.ebay.com....E:X:AAQ:AU:1123

and says

"Your laptop may use more than one type of adapters. The adapter you are buying should have Equal or Higher power output (E.g. 45W, 65W, 90W, 120W ) than your original adapter. Otherwise your laptop won't have enough power!"

All so VERY confusing!

Edited by poundgirl, 24 November 2013 - 03:56 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
The volts must be the same but the amps and wattage can be higher but not lower.

Personally I would not use anything but the same brand and specification battery or AC adapter for my notebook, there are too many poor quality imported generic replacements out there.

Advertisements

poundgirl

poundgirl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Yes I'm trying to get an original Asus which is why I was looking at the first Ebay listing.

So if I do have to buy one and the HP thing is just a listing error do you think it would be OK to get this one if it is an original Asus? I'm thinking that's why there is a price difference as the second listing I posted just says original but not 'original Asus'

At least I know my spare is a genuine Asus... I wonder what the difference is between 'genuine' and 'original' !!

Edited by poundgirl, 24 November 2013 - 04:18 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Most of what I am finding say genuine OEM ASUS adapter and are made by Delta, incidentally I came across the following advert http://www.ebay.com/...Z-/281070526767 and then This which I am sorry to say I would not trust :(

Brazened

Brazened

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Most important thing about the PS is the polarity. If your old PS is positive center and the new PS is negative center ( or vice versa) then the old won't work. Since both are 19V and the old PS has a higher wattage (due to more ampere) then I'd say you can use the old PS provided that the connectors are the same and the polarity are the same as well.

If the battery gets hot then discontinue the old PS.

poundgirl

poundgirl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Found this in their store info:

Dr.Lappy Australian Laptop Service Network Pty Ltd. (Australia) and DrLappy Global Laptop Service Network Ltd. (HongKong. No mention of the US yet that is given as the item location.

Is there any way I can check the polarity of my old one first?

Thank you for your help too Brazened. Sorry but it won't let me give any more positive votes for the day!

Edited by poundgirl, 24 November 2013 - 05:00 PM.

Brazened

Brazened

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
There should be a marking along with the info on the voltage and the ampere. It'll look like a C with the dot in the middle and lines on them. The dot is the center and the C is the shell of the plug. They'll be marked as to what polarity they are.

For example, the dot will have a line on it with a "+" sign at the end. That will be positive center and the C with the line ended at the "-" sign. It can also be the other way around on some PSes showing the dot being the negative center with the "-" sign.