Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System problems / missing tools

• Please log in to reply

lawnguybri

lawnguybri

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
I should first note that this is on my daughter's hp computer, and I have started this topic on my own laptop. I am hesitant to connect her computer onto my wifi (it was on her own wifi before), for if its infected with something I'm not sure if somehow my wifi can be compromised somehow. Should this be a concern?

Her computer has been giving her problems for a little while now...I can't say how long exactly. It is an hp computer purchased last year on Black Friday, and it runs windows 8. I know she only uses the computer for basic internet usage, school projects, and some computer gaming (minecraft, for the most part). The problems she's been experiencing recently includes random computer crashes, slow performance, an inability to access "settings" or other system tools (the icon is there, but clicking it does nothing. Also, the ability to shut down the computer properly is gone...there is no "shut down" button. Disappeared.

First, is there an danger to connecting this computer to my home wifi? If the computer is infected with something, can my wifi be somehow compromised?
And if not, what steps do I need to take?

Thank you in advance, for any help provided :)

Bri.

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,087 posts
Hi lawnguybri,

If your concerned about infection / malware, start a topic Here. Step # 2..

There's always a slight risk of connecting to internet if infection is present, we can't say how great the risk is until log reports are generated and looked over by a malware removal person. You will need to connect to download OTL...

Post your logs and someone will review them for you.

Note: OTL will create logs, post them both.

Thanks
Joe :)

Edited by zep516, 24 November 2013 - 02:59 PM.

lawnguybri

lawnguybri

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
thanks, ill start with the otl log and repost this over in malware.