Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win XP Internet Very Slow; Charter Says It's My Computer

• Please log in to reply

writertiff

writertiff

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Hello!

Today my Internet started running VERY slow. Takes 2-3 minutes for one web page to load and it's almost impossible to send mail.
I ran CC Cleaner and Defragged and that didn't help. I rebooted. Nothing.

Charter did a speed test and in safe mode, the download time is fast, but not in normal mode, and the upload is almost stagnant - so he said it's my computer, not the Internet connection.

Would appreciate help troubleshooting. Not sure what else to do.

Thank you,
Tiffany

P.S. Running Windows XP and using Google Chrome to access web pages.
I have Malwarebytes installed and Norton is on here too.

Update: It's running slightly faster now but it's still not as fast as it was. Pages take awhile to load.

Edited by writertiff, 24 November 2013 - 03:08 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hello writertiff

Please provide information about your computer, this includes is it a notebook or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is a brand name provide the model name or series number providing these details will enable us to better assist you.

Try flushing the DNS Cache;

1.Press the Windows key then type in cmd (do not press enter)
2.In the search results that come up, right click “cmd” and run as administrator, when the screen flashes and asks for permission, accept it.
3.In the command prompt type in ipconfig /flushdns (or right click and paste it to the command prompt) then press Enter.
You should then see a dialog box saying successfully flushed resolver cache.

Next try your own ping test for us in full Windows mode and let us know what is reported, details Here

writertiff

writertiff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Thank you!

1. This is a PC desktop HP - it says Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005. I also see an Intel sticker on it.

2. I did the DNS flush successfully.

3. Posted Image

Wow whatever you did it's running very fast now! LOL! My email is fast now. Thank you!
Not sure what DNS flush is but as soon as I did that everything worked normally.

Bless you! Y'all can close this one out if you want to.

Tiff ;)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Glad we could help and thank you for the follow up Tiff :thumbsup: