Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Search engine - Bing or Google ?

• Please log in to reply

John Bull

John Bull

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
I have recently changed from Google to Bing.

Having used Google for many years, I find Bing equally as good or even better and the daily background changes are colourful, educational and stunningly beautiful . Got a little fed up with Google`s dull, white, boring and unimaginative appearance.

How do you feel ?

Advertisements

Machiavelli

Machiavelli

GeekU Moderator

• GeekU Moderator
  • 4,722 posts
It's your opinion, but in my opinion I feel Google is better. Especially for Malware researc etc.

Makka

John Bull

John Bull

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

I feel Google is better. Especially for Malware researc etc.
Makka

Hi Makka,
Please explain what you mean by Google being better for Malware research. I do not understand.

I can use Bing as my delightful Homepage for its equally good search standards and outstanding aesthetic qualities and Google for anything especially appropriate to Google. My switch button on the bookmark bar is immediate.

Even in the unlikely event of Google becoming a secondary search engine in the market, Google will have gained immortality by introducing a synonym into our language, like Hoover did with vacuum cleaners.

We will never say "Bing it", but will still say "Google it".

Thank you.
John

Edited by John Bull, 25 November 2013 - 10:53 AM.

Machiavelli

Machiavelli

GeekU Moderator

• GeekU Moderator
  • 4,722 posts
Hey,

With Malware Research I mean researching lines of a log etc. - and for me there is Google at Place #1.. If you like using Bing you can do it - BING is also great. I had good experience with Google - this is what I can say about it. It's your decision what you choose - if you feel better with BING then let BING the search engine, if you think that Google is better use Google.

Admirgency

Admirgency

• PipPip
  • 97 posts
Google and Yahoo list each search-result 10 to a 100 times. Bing doesn't. Apart from that i have no preferance anymore.
Before the time of Bing, browser- & search-protectors and site-advisors and such, when we had to rely on carefull interpretation of malware-research-results, i prefered Yahoo simply becouse Google was more widely used and therefore mostly used on the infected machines of my friends.

John Bull

John Bull

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
My latest development with Bing is that on every browser opening, the URL or address bar extends to almost the entire length of the toolbar and all my extension icons disappear. I have to drag the address bar back into place until the extension icons all re-appear. This only happens just the once and remains fixed for the session until next browser opening.

Bing also does not save my preferences, mainly "safe search filter OFF" which goes back to "moderate" and my location changes. They have to be renewed at each browser opening.

Because of this and although I like Bing, especially the gorgeous background pictures, I have gone back to Google as my Homepage where the address bar and preferences stay permanently fixed once set.

I do still have Bing as a button on my Bookmarks bar and use it frequently as my search engine. It just does not work as a Homepage with Chrome.

Admirgency

Admirgency

• PipPip
  • 97 posts
Which browser would that be John? Are there other users of that computer with Google or Yahoo accounts? Browser/toolbar-settings can be saved to those accounts and if some-one else has used his/her account as defoult-account that could explain this behaviour. Don't know if that'ld also be passible for Apple- and/or iTunes accounts + Safari. Otherwise this might be damaged browser-software.

John Bull

John Bull

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Which browser would that be John? Are there other users of that computer with Google or Yahoo accounts? Browser/toolbar-settings can be saved to those accounts and if some-one else has used his/her account as defoult-account that could explain this behaviour. Don't know if that'ld also be passible for Apple- and/or iTunes accounts + Safari. Otherwise this might be damaged browser-software.

I am the only user and Chrome is my default browser. Everything is working perfect except the Bing behaviour I decribed when I set Bing as Homepage. Google is currently set as Homepage and is fine. once the browser is opened, I simply use the Bing button on my Bookmarks bar instead of the Homepage icon.

I have only recently re-installed Chrome in the past two weeks. Nothing seems to be sounding any alarm bells so far.

My OS is the old faithful Windows XP Home 2002.

Just checked, the same Bing faults happen on Firefox and the Bing setting is filters OFF on Chrome and Firefox.

Not worth wasting time on this. Constant changing of filter preferences from OFF back to MODERATE after browser closure is an inherent Bing fault that may users throughout the world have already complained about. I consider the matter a conclusive Bing problem and therefore closed.

Edited by John Bull, 13 December 2013 - 04:43 PM.