Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How important is 3rd generation vs. 4rth generation Intel?

• Please log in to reply

conceptualclarity

conceptualclarity

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
I hate my present computer and want to get a laptop that will have good processing for years to come.

I don't know anything about the significance of which Intel generation. Is 4rth generation necessarily better than 3rd generation?

Windows XP
Home Edition
Version 2002
32-bit
Service Pack 3

Dell DIMENSION DIM2400
Intel®
Pentium® 4 CPU 2.66GHz
x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9
2.05 GB of RAM
Graphics Card: Intel® 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV
Graphics Controller, 64 Mb
Hard Drive Size 114.4GB
Free Space was 35.8GB; now under 20GB because after backing up My Documents on Google Drive, Google Drive has duplicated the whole darn thing on my hard drive
Motherboard: Dell Computer Corp., 0G1548
Antivirus : Webroot Internet Security

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Hello conceptualclarity

If you would like help with choosing a new notebook please provide the following information to help us;
What will be the main use of the computer as in school/office work and/or gaming etc.
What is your maximum budget.
In which country will you be purchasing the notebook.

Regarding the 3rd and 4th generation CPU question, the Haswell is the newer of the two processors but many of the previous i5 Ivy Bridge CPUs have a lower power consumption than their upgraded counterparts and that is something that many people look for when deciding between which of the two they should choose.