Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Upgrading to new HDD Need help

• Please log in to reply

aznboi2o9

aznboi2o9

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
This will be my first time upgrading to a new HDD. I am going to use this new drive as my main. I need help with the basic steps to install a new HDD.

So, I just unplug my old hdd and plug in my new one and just install windows on it?
I don't have to uninstall windows on my old hdd correct?
After installing the new drive, I can basically re-install all the programs I want?

Also, I don't know which HDD to buy. My motherboard is an MSI 785GTM-E45. On newegg it says it supports sata 3 gb/s.
I've been eyeing something cheap and has good reviews so I chose http://www.newegg.co...9SIA24G1740181. Will this work with my motherboard?

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
We have found 0 items that match "9SIA24G1740181.". <- from the link you put up there. But in general, any SATA drive should work fine. If you order a SATA3 drive it will work perfectly fine on your motherboard, just in SATA2 mode, as they are backwards compatible no problem.

Your questions sound pretty much spot on to me. If you have never done it before, make sure to:

1) Install Windows
2) Install drivers
3) Install antivirus
4) Install Microsoft Updates
5) Then worry about whatever programs and data you want to put on there.

Cheers

aznboi2o9

aznboi2o9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Oops, but thanks for the advice. It sounds so easy to do, I dont know why I was worrying over this haha!

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
In theory, it's quite easy, yes. In practice... just wait until something goes wrong haha. :surrender:

Any dramas, you are welcome to come back here with further questions. :thumbsup:

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,763 posts
Gday.
From your profile, say's you have XP.
Are you going to install the same OS?
Do you have the CD disc that came with the MB?

Some HDDs are more suitable for the boot drivers than others. Could you try again with a link for the one you are thinking of using.

aznboi2o9

aznboi2o9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Gday.
From your profile, say's you have XP.
Are you going to install the same OS?
Do you have the CD disc that came with the MB?

Some HDDs are more suitable for the boot drivers than others. Could you try again with a link for the one you are thinking of using.

I upgraded to windows 7 a few months back. So yea I will be installing the same windows 7 on my new drive.
I do have the cd that came with my mobo.

http://www.newegg.co...=9SIA24G1740181

EDIT:

I assume if I install a sata 6.0 gb/s hdd, it will work on my mobo but in sata2 mode right?

Edited by aznboi2o9, 27 November 2013 - 02:14 AM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Looks good to me; a solid, reliable choice. I have used these before in some workstations where folder sharing was going to be setup.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,763 posts
Gday.
In case it is not handy, your MB manual Download, > http://us.msi.com/pr...785GTM-E45.html
If not installed you can download MSI Live Update 5 > http://us.msi.com/pr...html#/?div=BIOS

Is you system overclocked at the moment?
Have you backed up your DATA?
Are you going to keep your old drive in the case for storage?

aznboi2o9

aznboi2o9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Gday.
In case it is not handy, your MB manual Download, > http://us.msi.com/pr...785GTM-E45.html
If not installed you can download MSI Live Update 5 > http://us.msi.com/pr...html#/?div=BIOS

Is you system overclocked at the moment?
Have you backed up your DATA?
Are you going to keep your old drive in the case for storage?

My system is not overclocked.
I have only backed up files in my documents and that's all I really wanted to back up.
I will not be keeping my old drive in the case. I will store it away somewhere haha.

EDIT:
I assume if I install a sata 6.0 gb/s hdd, it will work on my mobo but in sata2 mode right?
I rather get those instead because they cost way less than the sata 3.0 gb/s one.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822136769

Edited by aznboi2o9, 28 November 2013 - 01:15 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,763 posts
Gday.'Thanks for the updates.

The drive you linked too is in fact a SATA 6.0Gb/s and will be good on your computer at SATA 3.0Gb/s. No mechanical drive can fully tantalize the SATA 3.0Gb/s speed.
The extra you pay is for slightly better performance and a larger cache.

So you are ready to go following the steps given by Troy in Post #2. Please remember safety, turn off the PSU, unplug rrom the wall socket. Take anti static measure (even when handling parts) by briefly touching a bare metal part of the computer case.

Good luck.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,035 posts
Excuse the interjection folks :)

An alternative HDD choice here 5 year warranty, twice the storage capacity and 64MB of Cache.

In addition to what has already been suggested by Troy and iammykyl respectively create a separate partition on the HDD solely for the Windows 7 installation, see the example guide here

aznboi2o9

aznboi2o9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Well, I finally got my drive. I just have one last question. (I'm paranoid and I always want to know the facts before I do something!)

After I successfully install my new drive with windows and stuff on it. In the future, if I decided to, could I switch the new drive with my old drive and would the data in that old drive still be in there? Basically I want to know if I can just switch the hard drives whenever I want without their data getting destroyed.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,035 posts
You can use a device such as an external USB HDD enclosure or adapter like the examples shown here this means that you do not have to open up the computer case to swap the HDDs out.

aznboi2o9

aznboi2o9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
So, I'm guessing that's a yes to my question (even though it would be a hassle)? And thanks, that will be very useful in the future.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,035 posts
Sorry I should have elaborated (it was past my bedtime here)

What you could do if your computer will boot from a USB device (most do) is clone an image of your present HDD onto a new storage device and then make the USB storage device the boot drive, this means that you could leave the present HDD where it is or swap it for the new drive and use the present HDD in the USB enclosure/adapter etc.

For cloning the present HDD I recommend Macrium Reflect (free)