Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer wont Boot after changing harddrive from 40GB to 160GB on Wind

• Please log in to reply

olace88

olace88

• PipPip
  • 97 posts
Hi,

I would like to ask for help regarding my problem on boot up. I recently replaced my 40GB hard drive with a 160GB hard drive. The problem is it won't boot up and hangs with the display "Verifying DMI Pool Data.....".

Will appreciate any help on this matter.

Thanks in advance!

More power to you!

Olace 88

Advertisements

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
This might seem like a crazy question but have you formatted and installed an operating system on the new HDD.

hairyeyes

hairyeyes

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Have you checked the hard drive is correctly fitted and all the leads are inserted properly IE not lose? as well as what Mr Rockmilk said.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
SATA or IDE hard drive? If IDE, is the jumper set correctly for CS (Cable Select), Slave or Master? Set it to the same as the 40GB drive was.

olace88

olace88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your replies! Appreciate it very much. Anyway, to answer the questions:
1. Yes, the new hard drive was formatted and have the same OS as the 40GB which is Windows 2000 pro.
2. Yes, the cable select is correct and similar to the 40GB HD.
3. Yes, it is an IDE Hard drive.
4. Yes, the HD is fitted and inserted correctly.

I suspect the new HD is not compatible with the PC system and it could not read the new HD.

Will appreciate other inputs.

Thank you very much.

olace88

olace88

olace88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
I forgot to answer that it is set as MASTER.

Thanks!

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Try this.

1. Power off computer and unplug power cord.
2. Open case and remove CMOS battery.
3. Press and hold the case power button for 10 seconds to drain all capacitors.
4. Reinstall CMOS battery.
5. Connect power cord and power up.

You should get a CMOS checksum error, press F1 to continue, F2 to enter Setup (or something like that).

Go into Setup. Set the date and time and boot options then save and exit. See what happens.

olace88

olace88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Hi Ztruker,

Let me try this...thanks for your inputs! I will keep you posted on the result asap.

regards,

olace88

hairyeyes

hairyeyes

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
If that does not work I have researched your error "Verifying DMI Pool Data" and a few have suggested and said the following has fixed there machines with the same problem.

Insert your OS disk.
Restart your Pc.
Boot from disk.
follow instructions till you see fix my computer bottom left if I remember correct it may be fix start up problems its ages since I have done this.
You should arrive at a screen that has about 4 options to choose from you need to choose the command prompt option.
once you have the cmd prompt interface open type the following
bootrec /fixboot
and hit return and restart your machine
My instructions are not precises but given the things you have all ready done you will be able to muddle through this OK.